Dilbert creator lashes out after papers pull his strip: 'Dicey situation'

Scott

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

At what point do we stop blaming whites for slavery in the US? 

It's history. We should never forget history. But it's not like the effects of that slavery and subsequent discrimination aren't still manifesting themselves today. Asking who we should blame is the wrong question. Asking what we need to do to correct the socioeconomic imbalance is the right question.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NextG said:

The whole thing is terribly foolish. Doubly so for him commenting on such a stupid poll in the first place.

It’s clearly loaded. 

Look at how it is written;

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white.”

2* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  Black people can be racist, too.”

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/questions/january_2023/questions_okay_to_be_white_february_13_15_2023

First of all, if you have the knowledge that the statement is one utilised by ‘white supremacists’, you are hardly likely to give it your full backing. So whilst you might wholly agree that it’s OK to be whatever race you might be, you might not be too fond of white ‘supremacists’. Therefore for that reason people might object. 
There is no doubt that the cartoonist understood this, he even says so himself; that people will view the question in different ways. The question is why, knowing this, that he decided to create a provocation out of it. 

The racist code used to be "color blind" in order to disavow the disadvantage that blacks suffer. Now it's "OK to be white" which is an even worse dog whistle.

Black people can individually express racial animus of course. That goes without say. The bigger picture is that while whites might find themselves to be the target of racial animus, often but not always brought on by their own actions, whites have never suffered from systemic racism in the way that blacks have.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The racist code used to be "color blind" in order to disavow the disadvantage that blacks suffer. Now it's "OK to be white" which is an even worse dog whistle.

Black people can individually express racial animus of course. That goes without say. The bigger picture is that while whites might find themselves to be the target of racial animus, often but not always brought on by their own actions, whites have never suffered from systemic racism in the way that blacks have.

White people also suffered from segregation in the USA , that wasn't exclusively for Black people 

Dilbert comic strip creator Scott Adams experienced possibly the biggest repercussion of his recent comments about race when distributor Andrews McMeel Universal announced Sunday it would no longer work with the cartoonist.

Andrews McMeel Chairman Hugh Andrews and CEO and President Andy Sareyan said in a joint statement that the syndication company was “severing our relationship” with Adams.

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-business-d1d88fe02461930d9c2ad70e1f55b136

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Segregation is part of the systematic racism that you stated

I didn't misquote you at all 

I didn't use the word segregation or any word or phrase that could be attributed to segregation. I talked about disadvantage and systemic racism.

I've warned you a number of times in the past not to misquote me. If you are going to refer to anything I said you must quote exactly my post in full or keep your peace. That's the rules around here. Hereinafter, I'll report every instance where you do it to me.

Edited by ozimoron

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't use the word segregation or any word or phrase that could be attributed to segregation. I talked about disadvantage and systemic racism.

I've warned you a number of times in the past not to misquote me. If you are going to refer to anything I said you must quote exactly my post in full or keep your peace. That's the rules around here. Hereinafter, I'll report every instance where you do it to me.

I have quoted three of your posts and I quoted them all in full , exactly in full without any alterations or deletions 

I have no idea why you are complaining , but as you are threatening to report me, I wont reply to you anymore .

Actually, you can go on Block, bye

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Rasmussen Poll that appeared to show that 26% of Black respondents said they disagreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white”. Another 21% said they were not sure.

I have to say if someone came up to me and asked "Is it OK to be black?" my answer would be "How the hell do I know. I have never been black!" I guess that would put me in the "racist" group according to a right leaning poll organization.

3 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I have to say if someone came up to me and asked "Is it OK to be black?" my answer would be "How the hell do I know. I have never been black!" I guess that would put me in the "racist" group according to a right leaning poll organization.

They didn't mean YOU personally, what they would have meant was is it  OK for other people to be Black/White , is what the question would have been 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Not understanding the nuances of the question in the least bit.

7 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Use your imagination.

Imagine your skin color would be black. Do you think that would be ok? Or do you think something like: OMG, the horror to live with such a skin color.

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They didn't mean YOU personally, what they would have meant was is it  OK for other people to be Black/White , is what the question would have been 

Nope. You are still trying to pull a fast one on our readers. You know that the question has nothing to do with people, but a specific phrase. It’s a baiting poll. 
You know it but you are still pretending. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Use your imagination.

Imagine your skin color would be black. Do you think that would be ok? Or do you think something like: OMG, the horror to live with such a skin color.

The poll has nothing to do with that…. as you know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Not understanding the nuances of the question in the least bit.

I understand perfectly well. But did the people who were polled understand the "nuances". Without seeing the poll, we don't know what was asked before that question. Polls are graded as being right or left leaning because they can lead the responses.

Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or No

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Nope. You are still trying to pull a fast one on our readers. You know that the question has nothing to do with people, but a specific phrase. It’s a baiting poll. 
You know it but you are still pretending. 

You are wrong , I am not trying to "pull a fast one" , I don't know that the question has "nothing to do with people" and I am not "pretending" 

I think that you are pulling  fast one by pretending that the poll is about a phrase , rather than the actual meaning nd question  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I understand perfectly well. But did the people who were polled understand the "nuances". Without seeing the poll, we don't know what was asked before that question. Polls are graded as being right or left leaning because they can lead the responses.

Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or No

That was the poll. It has only two questions. I posted it earlier. They knew  there will be a proportion that would have no idea of the use of the phrase by white ‘suprematists’ and would answer to the affirmative, whilst others knowing of it’s usage would simply not endorse that particular phrase. 
Then they deliberately used the ‘results’ as ‘proof’ that black people are racist. It’s just another dirty trick from the members of society who want to pull the wool over the eyes of others in order to gain advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are wrong , I am not trying to "pull a fast one" , I don't know that the question has "nothing to do with people" and I am not "pretending" 

I think that you are pulling  fast one by pretending that the poll is about a phrase , rather than the actual meaning nd question  

Would you like me to post an update interview with Mr Adams where he admits that the question is designed to mislead and that he didn’t mean that one should stay away from black people?

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, you are. 
You know that it’s a phrase used by the KKK and others like them. For possibly more than twenty years. It is the basis of the ‘ok’ sign that the proud boys and others like them demonstrate. 
So you know that it will trigger a negative response in those who understand it. 
So either you don’t understand it or you are one of them yourself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Yes, you are. 
You know that it’s a phrase used by the KKK and others like them. For possibly more than twenty years. It is the basis of the ‘ok’ sign that the proud boys and others like them demonstrate. 
So you know that it will trigger a negative response in those who understand it. 
So either you don’t understand it or you are one of them yourself. 

No, I am not 

Do stop telling me what I know 

Let me tell you what I know .

I have never heard of that phrase before 

"Is it OK to be White"

Reading this story is the first time I have seen that phrase .

So, once again, all your guessing about my opinion and what you think that I know , is completely wrong .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, NextG said:

The poll has nothing to do with that…. as you know. 

It seems you know more about it than I know.

I read the article that he was "cancelled" and the reasoning why.

I looked up what he said and as far as I see he just told the truth.

Maybe there is more to it. But by now I know that just telling the truth about certain things is not allowed in woke America. 

And it seems questioning such situations and looking if maybe he was right is another thing which people better shouldn't do these days. Otherwise they will also be cancelled.

Who invented this stupid cancel culture and why do people participate in that crazy system? 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you know more about it than I know.

I read the article that he was "cancelled" and the reasoning why.

I looked up what he said and as far as I see he just told the truth.

Maybe there is more to it. But by now I know that just telling the truth about certain things is not allowed in woke America. 

And it seems questioning such situations and looking if maybe he was right is another thing which people better shouldn't do these days. Otherwise they will also be cancelled.

Who invited this stupid cancel culture and why do people participate in that crazy system? 

You know, 1st amendment and all that. The newspapers who "cancelled" him took a commercial decision as is their right under that amendment.