How to renew passport? Processing time so high

On 2/28/2023 at 2:05 AM, Faltu said:

I went to the US and got a new passport. Of course, my mistake I did not check the number of pages (for a thick passport with more pages) and got a skinny one. I will get a new one in the near future. I don't travel as much as I used to. So not in big hurry. 

You must be mistaken just got mines renewal in October same with the one before which was ten years they only issue one book there is no such thing as thin!  Passport being issue ALL have the extra pages reason it is standard.

As noted I made an appointment in September for a renewal of my passport at US Embassy in Bangkok. 

It had to be mailed back I purchased an envelope for 100 baht just outside the citizen service went back in handed it back given receipt noted 3 weeks, less than two I got an email notifying it is being sent out that's a me day it arrived.  Unless there is a backlog reason 11 weeks? 

I also noted need letter for transfer of stamps to new passport told standard.

Edited by thailand49

17 hours ago, patekatek said:

Are you able to request more pages at the time you apply for a new passport?  I would like to have one with additional pages if the option exists.

Yes you have to check the box for the 48 page passport. The default is 24 page. I was in a hurry and forgot to check the box. And got a skinny one. 

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You must be mistaken just got mines renewal in October same with the one before which was ten years they only issue one book there is no such thing as thin!  Passport being issue ALL have the extra pages reason it is standard.

image.png.0c43a96991c57ead371b78ac81da004a.png

1 hour ago, Faltu said:

image.png.0c43a96991c57ead371b78ac81da004a.png

The form shown is foreign I don't remember ever being ask or check off. You can go to the website and get contact and ask yourself.  Embassy you can't get extra pages any longer as noted all renew PP comes with the extra pages.  

28 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The form shown is foreign I don't remember ever being ask or check off. You can go to the website and get contact and ask yourself.  Embassy you can't get extra pages any longer as noted all renew PP comes with the extra pages.  

OP renewed his current passport in the US, not the local embassy.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Well, that is the form I used to renew my passport at travel.state.gov website and forgot to check the extra Large box. The default is a skinny one. 

2 hours ago, Faltu said:

Well, that is the form I used to renew my passport at travel.state.gov website and forgot to check the extra Large box. The default is a skinny one. 

No problem I missed the part you Renewed in the States and not at the Embassy in Bangkok, at the Embassy there is no such choice.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:20 PM, watthong said:

Anyway, doing it by mail turned out to be quite a hassle: of going to the bank for the bankdraft for return envelope, then going to DHL and paying 600 baht for the services. DHL delivered my package to the US Bkk embassy Feb 6 Monday..

Why use DHL at Bt600 when using EMS would have delivered to the embassy in 1 to 3 days for around Bt75?

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, Pib said:

Why use DHL at Bt600 when using EMS would have delivered to the embassy in 1 to 3 days for around Bt75?

I know, I would too but my other significant half insisted, so instead of going out for buffet we went to DHL and thus peace was preserved in the family...

Anyway,  a quick update/summary of my application: it took exactly 4 weeks...
1st Friday of Feb: application package mailed to US embassy. 2 weeks later, the halfway point of the 4 weeks, the new passport was mailed out (The update from the travel state gov also informed that it would take up to 7 business days to arrive at the embassy.) 2 weeks later, 1st Friday of Mar ie yesterday, I received it (the embassy having emailed the EMS tracking number 2 days prior.)
Again thanks for your advice at the start of this "mission." Much appreciated.

• Like 1