Thais Fuming Over British Ambassador To Cambodia’s ‘Khmer Dessert’ Photo

webfact

1 hour ago, macleans said:

Three southern provinces of Isan i.e., buriram, srisaket, and surin are where the ethnic khmer live.

26 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

There's more ethnic Kmer/Thais that saturate Surin than of Buriram. 

One could even make a case that Sisaket has more of an Khmer ethnic feel than of Buriram. 

Have you ever heard of Phanom Rung castle? That's a stone based castle, khmer style. It's in Buriram. More than 1,000 years old.

Photo

already mentioned other 2 provinces in one of my posts above. but it really doesn't change the argument, does it? nowhere this will be built anywhere else in Thailand apart from those 3 provinces. 

15 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

The difference is the Thai eat a few bites. Westerners seem to need the full plate.

Is that so, Thais eat every 2 hours or they die of starvation 

Edited by still kicking
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

There's more ethnic Kmer/Thais that saturate Surin than of Buriram. 

One could even make a case that Sisaket has more of an Khmer ethnic feel than of Buriram. 

Got one in bed with me and she agrees ????

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, macleans said:

The outlook on this will be different in the future.

don't hold your breath on this happening on a large-scale level. aside from some Thais who actually get out and see the world, most will continue to be indoctrinated at an early age to believe Thai culture is unique and original free from all outside influences. the Thai psyche is very fragile esp. when it comes to their " culture".  honestly, with Thailand being the only country in SE Asia that was never colonized by a Western empire has actually perpetuated that invincibility that much more on their outlook to the outside world and within their own sphere.. 

5 hours ago, macleans said:

What is a Thai according to you? 

Thai is a nationality, not a race. Thailand is a multi racial country comprising various ethnic groups. The Tai-kadai live in the north and North and central Isan. I'm sure you are all familiar with them and their appearances. Three southern provinces of Isan i.e., buriram, srisaket, and surin are where the ethnic khmer live. 

Central and west Thailand is occupied by the Mon-khmer group, known as Siamese. This is the original Siamese of Thailand. They founded Ayutthaya. Why are they of the Mon-khmer origin? if you look at the map of ancient south east asia you'll see that central thailand was a big part of the Mon empire, but later became a west side of the Ankorian Empire. These people are Thais with a darker skin tone. 

The south was also home to the mon-indian and malay groups. Surat thani was a some point a mainland center of Sirvijaya empire (capital city on the Java island, indonesia). A recent DNA based study also confirm the history. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41431-018-0113-7.

So, no culture has been stolen. The contemporary Thai culture has been developed through cultural exchanges between ethnic groups who have lived in this land since forever.

Thank you for the cut and paste history lesson, you should circulate this to every Thai within the country and see what their reaction is to this little snippet of information - you might be very surprised by the reaction from the ordinary Thai who believe Thailand is the centre of the universe and what you're saying is a load of nonsense. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

Is that so, Thais eat every 2 hours or they die of starvation 

That is true and doesn't at all discount my point. Huge meals are unhealthy unless what the person does physically supports a need. A sedientary expat it holiday maker doesn't need 3000 calories a day plus five pints and three tins of moh-gaeng