Draft Prostitution Law To Set Voluntary Service At Minimum 20 Years

webfact

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The freedom of speech and ones individual humour is welcomed.
It may not be to your liking, but it is a right.

Let the moderators decide.. not you.

Thanks for clarifying that...

Sure post whatever bull roar you like.

& thanks for the admonition..

11 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Why do the PC brigade (think western feminists)  get their knickers all in a twist over prostitution ......the oldest profession?.

Why interfere in a consensual arrangement between 2 consenting adults?

It, of course, should be legal and regulated. 

thery can not do it so they are jealous  

10 hours ago, Muzzique said:

the only people who would buy my body as it stands would be Burke and Hare. 

Burke  and Hare sold bodies after murdering people, they didn't buy corpses.. But I'm sure you'd get a good price for your body Muzzique.  ????

I bet now, Thai BiB are thinking!!: how can we make money on this new law. Every new law is an oportunity for criminals to make #$ on the side.

So, anarchy we should have or do we already have it in Thailand ??   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The oldest profession albeit some would argue it is the systematic exploitative endemic process in humanity itself that enables said profession.

Economics is always about wealth and exploitation of resources. Applies to other primates, not just humans: read this https://www.biosphereonline.com/2019/01/07/wealth-currency-and-prostitution-in-primates/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They don't like men having multiple options for acquiring sex because they know that if it wasn't illegal or taboo, and it was affordable, many men would choose it over dating and marrying women (or at least have it as a back-up plan if their demands are too extreme).  They don't want the competition.

What do they think happens now?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What does a girl in a factory make? Maybe 12k, with overtime?

How long does a bg need to make that money? Max a week - if she works and not just plays with her phone.

So what about the other 3 weeks in the month? If that job would be so horrible then one would think the girls would work maybe a week in a month and the rest of the time they would study to get a better education and a better job.

But how many girls do that? It seems many are willing to so what they do for the newest iphone and other gadgets. It's obviously up to them if they want to do that. But I am fed up with reading about all those exploited girls who have no alternative. They have!

I suppose it depends on the girl's personal circumstances.

1, she could have higher outgoings than that 12k a month and that might be the reason she is doing it.  2, she likely has a family that whose financial demands scale with the income that she makes - the more she earns, the more family members demand money and the higher the demand.

I think you have to bear in mind that a lot of Thai women don't really have much freedom and are raised from birth specifically to be slaves to their family, be that physical or financial, while the men are raised to believe that they are free do whatever they want, including using women as slaves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

What do they think happens now?

Most men's only source of sex is often in a committed relationship that turns into marriage.  If they cheat then the women can take most of their money and ruin their lives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I suppose it depends on the girl's personal circumstances.

1, she could have higher outgoings than that 12k a month and that might be the reason she is doing it.  2, she likely has a family that whose financial demands scale with the income that she makes - the more she earns, the more family members demand money and the higher the demand.

I think you have to bear in mind that a lot of Thai women don't really have much freedom and are raised from birth specifically to be slaves to their family, be that physical or financial, while the men are raised to believe that they are free do whatever they want, including using women as slaves.

And when the daughters are far away from their families then they have time to think about that situation and decide if they want to do that. Some girls become more independent. Good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Most men's only source of sex is often in a committed relationship that turns into marriage.  If they cheat then the women can take most of their money and ruin their lives.

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I meant in the contex of what do those western women think that Thai men do now..... replying to your commentbelow:- 

They don't like men having multiple options for acquiring sex because they know that if it wasn't illegal or taboo, and it was affordable, many men would choose it over dating and marrying women (or at least have it as a back-up plan if their demands are too extreme)

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And when the daughters are far away from their families then they have time to think about that situation and decide if they want to do that. Some girls become more independent. Good.

Have you actually heard of this happening?  I think the feelings of obligation are quite strong and, unfortunately, the way things are set up, they really might have no choice if they want to take care of their parents.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I meant in the contex of what do those western women think that Thai men do now..... replying to your commentbelow:- 

They don't like men having multiple options for acquiring sex because they know that if it wasn't illegal or taboo, and it was affordable, many men would choose it over dating and marrying women (or at least have it as a back-up plan if their demands are too extreme)

I believe the comment I was replying to was referencing "Western feminists'" attitudes to prostitution generally, and really in terms of it occurring where they are.  So I think they don't want men in Western countries to have the kind of access to prostitution that Thai men have.

Western women seem to like to limit who men can have sex with.  Hence things like prostitution, age-gap relationships, etc., are labelled as predatory and exploitative.  (Whilst they don't appear to have so much of a problem with any situation that has a woman exploiting a man.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you actually heard of this happening?  I think the feelings of obligation are quite strong and, unfortunately, the way things are set up, they really might have no choice if they want to take care of their parents.

Yes.

And there is a difference between taking care and financing everything the parents want. 

It's not easy for some of the girls, and some (many?) would never think about going their own way.

But it seems some of the girls learn that the person with the money has the power. They learn that it's up to them what they want to give and not up to others to demand it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe the comment I was replying to was referencing "Western feminists'" attitudes to prostitution generally, and really in terms of it occurring where they are.  So I think they don't want men in Western countries to have the kind of access to prostitution that Thai men have.

Western women seem to like to limit who men can have sex with.  Hence things like prostitution, age-gap relationships, etc., are labelled as predatory and exploitative.  (Whilst they don't appear to have so much of a problem with any situation that has a woman exploiting a man.)

Yes, I get all that - and agree with the comments.

What I was trying to convey (and maybe should be a bit blunter) ....<deleted> do they think happens now - and for the previous 4 centuries at least. My point being that any opposition (by western women) to legalising prostitution overlooks the fact that it has being going on for centuries - on top of that monogamy has not been high the list of priorities for Thai men (or women),

15 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Why do the PC brigade (think western feminists)  get their knickers all in a twist over prostitution ......the oldest profession?.

It’s not just Western feminists who object  - it’s Western puritanical Christians as well.

• Like 1

Yet another law setting itself up for failure - why limit legal age to 20 when there are and there always will be younger prostitutes? Making it illegal won't make them stop - it will just ensure they remain in grey/unregulated area and vulnerable to the exact same conditions that legalizing it aims to prevent.

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So what about the other 3 weeks in the month? If that job would be so horrible then one would think the girls would work maybe a week in a month and the rest of the time they would study to get a better education and a better job.

The grand majority of bar girls are poorly educated, lazy, and have very little desire to get a better education or job. They get spoiled by the lifestyle and easy money and end up throwing their money away as quickly as it comes in. Gambling, drinking (not on the job), shopping for things they don't actually need, and the worst of all - financing loser Thai "boyfriends" who "borrow" money from them on a regular basis. And of course sending money home to family who treat them as a piggybank.

It's always funny (and sad) to see a working girl who makes 5-10 times more money than the average Thai person yet constantly broke - how??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

The ability for families to bring the pressure to bear is based on the intense indoctrination of children into filial obligation and duty in Asian societies.

That is the way they do things.

Naturally that is anathema to the Western ideals (indoctrination) of personal freedom, choice, and self -determination.

It does not take much to find out about how things are done in the East.

A pity that so many contributors to these pages seem to utterly fail to do so before planting themselves there,  spending their remaining years complaining that it is not like home.

That's a very 'high and mighty attitude' and I believe, uncalled for.

On the presumption that you are including me in those that 'fail to do so'.........

1. I know exactly where the phenomenon of kids accepting unreasonable pressure from their parents come from.  The use of 'I don't understand it' is a figure of speech - something that 'high and mighty' souls often don't comprehend in their cocooned, factual world (living far, far up their own r e c t u m). Check out 'everyday speech'. 

You remind me of one of my University lecturers who told me I needed to upgrade my vocabulary after I'd written the word 'smell' in my disertation. The academic term that I should have used (and I knew it) in context, was 'olfactory'.  My reply was something to the effect of, "oh, you mean 'olfactory', I disagree, I write in a manner that all can  understand, not just the chosen few".  I received a 1st by the way - common language or not.

2. You are correct that people don't study all the customs and traditions of the country they choose to retire in but do they really need to? In this particulat context, what difference would it make?  As a victim (used loosely) of such a custom, where my wife was told to rip me off, I would still have married her.  I'm pretty sure, had I asked her "darling, you'd never rip me off would you", the answer would have been a resounding "no".  Knowing the laws and regulations of a country you choose to live in, yes - but knowing and considering customs such as the topic.........in most cases, I don't see why.

3. I'm not complaining but after receiving a court summons and returning the property she stole from me, I'm pretty sure my (now ex) wife was.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

financing loser Thai "boyfriends" who "borrow" money from them on a regular basis.

Thai men/society appear to have women trained to an insane level.  When I think about how much Western men are trained to pursue women, put them on a pedestal, shower them in gifts and experiences, give them full commitment, and to keep this up for the duration of the relationship.  Then you have many Thai women apparently chasing men, buying them gifts, and trying to win them over, while they drink and cheat and treat them like garbage. 

There must be some serious indoctrination going on with Thai girls.  No wonder some Thai people say that having a daughter is like having a toilet in your front garden.  But it never occurs to them to try to address the actual cause.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I also don't know. But I guess part of it is the religion. In so called christian countries everybody learn from early age that sex is bad and all that.

In Thailand that seems not be the case.

I think when people think sex is bad or prostitution is bad that is mostly a decision in their head. If nobody indoctrinates the girls with the idea that it is bad then they don't know it's bad and don't think it's bad.

SEX is only bad when the Preachers can't profit from it.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:14 AM, hotchilli said:

Dignity is left at the doorstep...

when you're broke, in debt, needing to fund the family dignity doesn't put food on the table or pay the bills.

All the people who liked this are customers, i.e. "sexpats" Haha! 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Thai men/society appear to have women trained to an insane level.  When I think about how much Western men are trained to pursue women, put them on a pedestal, shower them in gifts and experiences, give them full commitment, and to keep this up for the duration of the relationship.  Then you have many Thai women apparently chasing men, buying them gifts, and trying to win them over, while they drink and cheat and treat them like garbage. 

There must be some serious indoctrination going on with Thai girls.  No wonder some Thai people say that having a daughter is like having a toilet in your front garden.  But it never occurs to them to try to address the actual cause.

This one about the toilet is totally new for me! I have never heard of this one. 

1 hour ago, Shocked farang said:

This one about the toilet is totally new for me! I have never heard of this one. 

Well, it's third hand information from a random Internet person, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I've also heard that in China the locals sometimes refer to women who are in a relationship with a foreign man as being something like "foreigner toilets". (Again, this is second hand info.)

On 3/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, harleyclarkey said:

On 3/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, 1happykamper said:

Exactly. However, the root of this issue goes back to puritanical thinking that all sex is wrong for one reason or another..unless married. The natural act of sex is taken far too seriously in most cultures. 

It seems that in most wealthy nations many women are able to control their men into compliance by making them "sleep on the sofa". That is to say do things my way or no sex. All the while they put on 25 kilos and want to hire a maid and have a nice car so they can go to the movies and tea with their friends. It also seems that Thai women don't seem to dislike sex as much as other women, even other asian women. I have also talked to a few who say that their Buddhism doesn't make sex, even without marriage, such a sin. There is also the fact that many of the less well developed countries where there is relatively easy access to prostitution have had this made so sinful since their first day of school by god telling them that enjoying their bodies (boy too--don't spill that seed!) is a terrible sin. And what hypocrisy, F until your genitals are sore then go confess to holy man, pray for a while. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is it any different in the Philippines, Mexico, Costa Rica, Spain, Russia?

There would be a lot less rape in the world if prostitution were legal, and regulated and taxed. 

BTW, has Thailand gone totally to hell since some people can legally buy and use marijuana?