Avoid Popular Fried Dough Sticks, Iced Tea For Breakfast: Health Official

webfact

On 3/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, Hawaiian said:

Agree.  I am in my eighties and in fairly good physical health with a low BMI.  All my life I have

eaten a variety of ethnic foods, including so-called unhealthy foods.  Like you say, most individuals can handle them if eaten in moderation and not a substantial part of ones diet.

Correct, moderation is the key, the occasional deviation from a good diet never hurts. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

Its original OK ....They have grown sugar in Thailand for centuries, it is an integral part of Thai food.....someone needed to do their research. Before cane there was palmsugar etc etc..

Thailand does have a diabetes problem as a public health issue which stems from both an I creased middle class and the problems of a society that is industrialising and part of an industrial poverty diet.

Thailand is the only sugar self-sufficient country in the region.

Now is the busiest time of year and the sugar harvest is in full swing.

But firms of sugar get mentions back at least until the Ayuthaya era

Thailand problems are no different from any industrialised country and singling out pha thong goh is a joke. Which itself can have no sugar.

I think the point was not: no sugar in Thai dishes, but that there are now lot of sugar in dishes where it wasn't in the past....like in the pork soup or so.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:53 PM, KhunLA said:

Do people really need to be told, fried (air) donuts aren't the healthiest choice.  Especially when palm oil is probably used.

Air instead of cake donuts, which are quite rare here.  Think the (cake) chocolate/coconut/nut donuts at Dunkin, but much better.

Never ate 'air' donuts in the USA.

Believe it or not they do.  i find in Thailand they love their kids (of course!) but do they really teach them to eat healthy?  Sadly I know first hand they do not.  

47 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Believe it or not they do.  i find in Thailand they love their kids (of course!) but do they really teach them to eat healthy?  Sadly I know first hand they do not.  

Yea ... I'm not getting the 'love my kids' but fill them with sugar mentality of parents.   

At surfside beach yesterday, for my 'sweet tooth' fix, just a chocolate shake/frappe.   What rolls up to table next to us, in a stroller, a little butterball of a kid.   Nothing wrong with 'overweigh' babies, but this kid was obese.  Head looked like a football w/no neck, and legs so fat, he probably can't touch is feet together without bending at the knees.

And both parents, as myself, are sucking down sugar drinks, and feeding him.   He's like a junkie in between sips ... with hands outstretched .. 'more more' and when no compliance, a bit verbal, and they comply.

Simply mind boggling.  My daughter didn't have any soft drinks growing up, or excess sugar.  She still doesn't have a sweet tooth, compared to me anyway.

It really isn't rocket science, and more than enough info out there.  But ..... 

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, h90 said:

I think the point was not: no sugar in Thai dishes, but that there are now lot of sugar in dishes where it wasn't in the past....like in the pork soup or so.

...and they'd be wrong in so far that like any country,sugar consumption has increased but not so dramatically in Thailand as it has traditional,y been there.

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea ... I'm not getting the 'love my kids' but fill them with sugar mentality of parents.   

At surfside beach yesterday, for my 'sweet tooth' fix, just a chocolate shake/frappe.   What rolls up to table next to us, in a stroller, a little butterball of a kid.   Nothing wrong with 'overweigh' babies, but this kid was obese.  Head looked like a football w/no neck, and legs so fat, he probably can't touch is feet together without bending at the knees.

And both parents, as myself, are sucking down sugar drinks, and feeding him.   He's like a junkie in between sips ... with hands outstretched .. 'more more' and when no compliance, a bit verbal, and they comply.

Simply mind boggling.  My daughter didn't have any soft drinks growing up, or excess sugar.  She still doesn't have a sweet tooth, compared to me anyway.

It really isn't rocket science, and more than enough info out there.  But ..... 

You need to remember that there are people in Thailand who remember times when they had NO food and couldn't afford it..... nw with a new up and coming middle class it is very difficult not to spoil a kid when you can afford to.... the background psyche is that you never know when it might stop.

For many Thai people fat means wealthy.

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

You need to remember that there are people in Thailand who remember times when they had NO food and couldn't afford it..... nw with a new up and coming middle class it is very difficult not to spoil a kid when you can afford to.... the background psyche is that you never know when it might stop.

For many Thai people fat means wealthy.

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

...and they'd be wrong in so far that like any country,sugar consumption has increased but not so dramatically in Thailand as it has traditional,y been there.

On my first trip to Thailand 20 years ago I asked why many restaurants had sugar along with the other condiments on the table when they did not serve coffee or tea. 

3 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

On my first trip to Thailand 20 years ago I asked why many restaurants had sugar along with the other condiments on the table when they did not serve coffee or tea. 

....and your conclusion?

49 minutes ago, kwilco said:

....and your conclusion?

Then I saw a restaurant patron sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on his bowl of noodles.  It reminded me of sweet spaghetti sauce common in the Philippines. Neither sweetened  noodles or sweet pasta sauce appeal to me.

58 minutes ago, kwilco said:

....and your conclusion?

4 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Then I saw a restaurant patron sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on his bowl of noodles.  It reminded me of sweet spaghetti sauce common in the Philippines. Neither sweetened  noodles or sweet pasta sauce appeal to me.

Italian tomatoe sauce nearly always contains sugar

But I see no conclusion.

Tomato sauce vs ketchup:

"According to Heinz, the key difference between ketchup and tomato sauce lies in the quantity of tomatoes used. Ketchup supposedly contains more tomato, in some instances it also contains tomato paste, so it is thicker and richer than its tomato sauce counterpart"

If I need tomato sauce, depending on recipe, I just drain from my canned tomatoes.  Need more, never so far, just puree the whole can.

I only buy this brand, excellent & ingredients;

Tomatoes 65%

Tomato Juice 34.9%

Additives 0.1%

image.png.5f43ad79bd23c4e083fd0daabfa58a71.png

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Silly man...that's ketchup, the tomatoes and sugar were added by America.

Tomato sauce is what you use in cooking.

Here in the U.K. we call it tomato sauce and its the Americans that call it Ketchup

Heinz Tomato Sauce Top Down 460g

Heinz Tomato Sauce Top Down 460g - Masseys Butchers | Butchers Near me

https://masseysofsaintfield.co.uk/product/heinz-tomato-sauce-top-down-460g/

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thai tomato sauce sometimes contains tomatoes

Slightly off at a tangent.. Sri Racha Sauce (hot chilli) keeps getting mentioned nowadays in UK chefy programs!

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Here in the U.K. we call it tomato sauce and its the Americans that call it Ketchup

Ketchup, also spelled catsup, is flavored with vinegar, sugar, and other spices, whereas most tomato sauces contain only salt.  For this reason it is not recommended for making pasta sauces. 

I make my pasta sauce with tomato sauce or tomato paste and add crushed or pureed tomatoes for the extra "body."  I also add a little sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I'd hate to think what the food is like at your place.

Read the label it says ketchup. 

The name is derived fro m the BRITSH pronunciation of a Chinese/Malay word for a spicy fish or mushroom sauce..it was the AMERICANS in fact Heinz, who decided to put loads of ripe tomatoes in it. 

Edited by kwilco

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

I'd hate to think what the food is like at your place.

Read the label it says ketchup. 

The name is Deri Ed fro m the BRITSH pronunciation of a Chinese/Malay word for a spicy fish or mushroom sauce..it was the AMERICANS infact Heinz who decided to put loads of ripe tomatoes in it. 

Yes and read the advert , read what its advertised as .

Let me make it clear , as you missed it the first time and this time I will not post a photo which would distract you from the important words 

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes and read the advert , read what its advertised as .

Let me make it clear , as you missed it the first time and this time I will not post a photo which would distract you from the important words 

Called ketchup a British word...

You are clear,y one kf those people who come to Thailand and eat pies and hips and has never eaten pha thong go

Edited by kwilco

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Slightly off at a tangent.. Sri Racha Sauce (hot chilli) keeps getting mentioned nowadays in UK chefy programs!

Sriracha sauce - allegedly from Sriracha, Chonburi but made popular by a Chinese American contains no tomatoes