Is 3 BB better for me or not?

grain

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

not part of our installation order..

How to get it? Username is in clear text pwd isn’t.

3bb.JPG.38844221be50630eb6478098c0664406.JPG

this doesn’t seem to work

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reveal-password-behind-asterisk-chrome-firefox/

I did not have a problem with 3BB enabling bridge mode, the acct u/n and p/w are listed on the service management document and it "shows" the password in the PON i logged into. As I said, one phone call to 3BB and bridge mode was done and I used the AC-86U as PPPoE, and DHCP. You need to discuss further with 3BB to resolve this. Piece of cake for me, zero issues.

3 minutes ago, bronxFrankie said:

I did not have a problem with 3BB enabling bridge mode, the acct u/n and p/w are listed on the service management document

We did not get that document how many times should I repeat that? And when we asked 3BB for that username and password they would NOT give it to us asked more then once.

No issue for me as well, just use DOUBLE NAT

Edited by MJCM

On 3/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, grain said:

I don't understand. If I sign up with 3BB don't they come and install everything and get me up and running ok? Are you suggesting that I should purchase my own 3BB router? 

Yes, they supply all the hardware u need to use their service.

As an option you could add your own router to the equation as you see fit, normally for increased performance, WIFI signal expansion, AiMesh setup, and any other additional options you may need.

Edited by bronxFrankie

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

We did not get that document how many times should I repeat that? And when we asked 3BB for that username and password they would NOT give it to us asked more then once.

No issue for me as well, just use DOUBLE NAT

Why do you want/need bridge mode then? Remote server access?

On 3/5/2023 at 5:15 AM, grain said:

A couple more questions for everyone. How important is the unload speed? I see with 3 BB they offer 1gb/100, 1gb/500, 1gb/700, 1gb/1gb....as I want it for downloading only (streaming TV) and I'm not often uploading anything. 

Also I notice 3BB deals are now for 24 months. Can you still just commit to 12 months, or is it 24 only?

Remember one thing, the speed they quote is the absolute maximum and in reality you are not likely to get those speeds. With that in mind I would go for the highest rate as you will never probably get it but the rate you will get should be more than adequate.

I recently changed over to 3BB from TOT and at this stage I have no complaints,I am only on the cheap THB590 scheme but manage to get 400 + download using an ethernet LAN cable and getting a suitable wifi speed using the 2G and not the 5G because the distance from my router to TVBox is about 6 mtrs + and the greater the distance 2G is stronger than 5G,according to the 3BB techo.

41 minutes ago, bronxFrankie said:

Why do you want/need bridge mode then? Remote server access?

Not really that I am already running (BitWarden for example) at our OLD house as TOT did not have problem with it, and we have there also a dedicated IP address and NOT on CGNAT.

Connect from here to a RASPI running a Wireguard Server.

But why I want Bridge Mode here, is that I really don't trust the NON Updated (OLD) Routers from 3BB. Last time it firmware was updated was 2020 I believe.

One of the reasons why I am at the moment running DOUBLE NAT.

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

33 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Remember one thing, the speed they quote is the absolute maximum and in reality you are not likely to get those speeds. With that in mind I would go for the highest rate as you will never probably get it but the rate you will get should be more than adequate.

Afaik the speed they list is only "guaranteed" within Thailand and I guess that means only to their servers. For example downloading Linux updates from ku.ac.th goes with only a speed of a couple of MiB ????

34 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Afaik the speed they list is only "guaranteed" within Thailand and I guess that means only to their servers. For example downloading Linux updates from ku.ac.th goes with only a speed of a couple of MiB ????

Them refusing to do it for you must be a local thing.

As I said earlier, they sent a technician to my house who did all the set up for me. In fact when I call them a few weeks ago with a problem, the tech actually said to me, "You have your router set to bridge mode."

When I originally tried to do it myself, I couldn't because I didn't have the necessary login details. That's why I called them, and why they sent a tech to do it for me.

Next time you call a tech out for a problem, it might be worth asking if he could do it for you 'privately'  as it were.

Edited by phetphet

37 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It isn't guaranteed anywhere. If you chek you will see there is no QoS (Quality of Service). It is standard when referring to the internet. You could get a fixed speed but it would cost a lot. Companies like Google, Microsoft have such connections but individuals very rarely if ever.

The rate quoted is the absolute maximum which would only occur if you was the only user of that link.

22 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Them refusing to do it for you must be a local thing.

As I said earlier, they sent a technician to my house who did all the set up for me. In fact when I call them a few weeks ago with a problem, the tech actually said to me, "You have your router set to bridge mode."

When I originally tried to do it myself, I couldn't because I didn't have the necessary login details. That's why I called them, and why they sent a tech to do it for me.

Next time you call a tech out for a problem, it might be worth asking if he could do it for you 'privately'  as it were.

I think we have asked about a 6-8 times already, after that I stopped asking. I am not bothered anymore especially as I can do "everything" I want in our OLD house (NO Cgnat, dedicated IP address), but it would be nice to have in our current house.

When on the road I just watch movies from my NAS (which also runs a torrent client (via VPN)) in our OLD house and that works great, but is sometimes a pain (rebooting etc etc) as the old house is 20kms away from us ????

Edited by MJCM

13 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It isn't guaranteed anywhere. If you chek you will see there is no QoS (Quality of Service). It is standard when referring to the internet. You could get a fixed speed but it would cost a lot. Companies like Google, Microsoft have such connections but individuals very rarely if ever.

The rate quoted is the absolute maximum which would only occur if you was the only user of that link.

That is why I said AFAIK and guaranteed in quotes ????

I know because I only get 1 MiB dowloading from local servers sometimes

Edited by MJCM