Swift arrest of gold shop robber in NE: A student in gambling debt who wanted the latest iPhone

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Robber addicted to luxuries

Police in Udon Thani, NE Thailand, made a swift arrest after a gold shop snatch and grab robbery on Friday.

It happened at the Yaowarat 2 store in Phan Don, Kumphawapi district, where Sittisak, 21, a student at a private college, had entered pretending to buy two, two baht weight gold necklaces.

Instead he fled with the jewelry on a Honda Wave and shacked up in a hotel in Udon Thani.

Police were quickly on his case and an arrest warrant was issued on Saturday leading to his capture.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

He sold the gold to another shop for 100,000 baht and bought himself an iPhone 14 Pro Max for 45,000 baht.

With the rest he paid off online gambling debts after he had borrowed from friends, reported Daily News.

He said he had been looked after by his gran since he was born and his parents split up.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

He admitted to liking life's luxuries like brand name goods so made a decision to rob the store.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I want I want I want I must have.... idiot.

In Thailand, students don't learn to put the "WANT" at the same level as "CAN AFFORD".
And at these times of "rich Tik Tok influencers", everything looks possible.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All I have is a lowly iPhone 6s+.  And it's a free hand-me-down from my wife's niece who had to have something newer and fancier.  Oh, the shame.  I'm the third owner of my iPad Air 2 which is  an upgrade from an even older one ... I was the 4th owner of that one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

That unbreakable and inescapable vicious cycle of envy, greed and poverty.

My wife's siblings have done well for the most part, but they work at it.  A couple are/were self-employed.  My younger bro-in-law had a little motorcycle repair shop.  We got him into the U.S. where for years he was a cook at a Thai restaurant. Last year he wandered into a Honda motorcycle dealership and walked out with a job.  He's now their most experienced mechanic except for the computer diagnostics.

(Disclaimer: I don't get paid for this endorsement.  But he does fix our cars, mows the lawn, cleans the gutters, rakes leaves and trims trees for free. Nice "kid" - I've known him since he was about 12 years old. )