Note Book Fans

puuchai299

Does anyone know if notebooks sold in Thailand have better cooling facility built into them,sometimes my friends have brought there notebooks from England and had overheating problems,where as mine a Toshiba bought here seems ok with the heat.Thanks.

I have bought 5 laptops in Thailand, 2 x Atec, Sony, Acer and Apple. I have never had any problems with over heating. I work in the Saudi Arabian Desert and right now it makes Thailand feel positively chilly. My mates travel here from all over the world woth laptops and i never heard any of them complain of over heating. So my guess is that there is no difference in cooling. Perhaps it's your friends that are overheating? :o

If your machine is running too hot, one of these may help.

If you've a Macbook, there's a nice little utility called smcFanControl that will allow you to adjust the speed of the cpu fan. Raising from it's default of (i think) 1100rpm to 2000rpm will give a noticable drop in tempurature, with not so much rise in noise....

The main reason that properly built notebooks overheat (I'm not talking about defective ones) is that the ventilation system is being obstructed. Many notebook have vents located on the bottom which draw in cool air to cool down the internal components. If you put the notebook on a non-flat surface such as your sofa, a cloth, or your own lap, you can easily block those vents. When there's no new air to cool the components, the notebook can easily overheat, no matter how chilly the ambient temperature is. So the best idea is to put your notebook on a flat, rigid surface if you're going to be using it for an extended period of time. Supposed "notebook coolers" take this into consideration, and that's why they have fans which blow air directly on the notebook's underside. They're not necessary as long as you take the necessary precautions.

Many "laptops" sold today are not meant (ie. designed) to be used on ones lap. The reason is because the vents (where the fans blow out the warm air) are located on the bottom and sides of the laptop. Any obstruction of these vents prevents the fans from doing their job. Most (if not all) vendors today use the term "notebook computer" (or PC)... you never see them use the term "laptop" anymore.