Thai health officials worried about growing number of fat kids

webfact

49 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Because too much of what matters. Other things equal, too much of broccoli and spinach ain't causing obesity. Moving is pretty useless for losing weight or necessarily even keeping it off. In fact, exercise can just make you hungrier, as you "work up an appetite."

Why oversimplify?

Because it is simple to a lot of us.  people put on weight because they sit down, eat too much, and don't get up and move.  And it becomes a way of life. 

it's strange by the way, but when you do more and more exercise you want to eat less.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's the sugar in the patties and the buns. And the carbs in the fries. Your body metabolises the carbs into glucose which it stores as fat if you don't burn it.

The keto diet emphasises eating lots of saturated fat and yet it's designed to make you lose weight. How does that work under your theory? Your body doesn't eat fat, do nothing with it but store it. It turns glucose into fat to store it. Please do some research.

Ridiculous, Keto is something different. Most sane unbrainwashed people will realise what you say above is rubbish

2 hours ago, wealthychef said:

It's a calorie surplus, whether from sugar, fats ,or even protein.  The quality of your diet can change the ability to process calories somewhat, but the bottom  line is that for purposes of gaining weight, it's all about calories in minus calories out.  Exercise, nutrition, etc, are all ways of modifying these two quantities.  

Lots of knowledgeable fatties on this thread

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Because it is simple to a lot of us.  people put on weight because they sit down, eat too much, and don't get up and move.  And it becomes a way of life. 

And so it's never simple to end a way of life, as you find out quickly when dealing with Thais, for example. The usual old bromides (beloved by Nutritionists here) such as push away from the table and the good ol' starve & sweat don't work--not just for "a lot of us" but for most fat people, already insulin resistance. Everybody already knows the outdated methods. Tried, failed.

it's strange by the way, but when you do more and more exercise you want to eat less.

No. https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&q=exercising+makes+me+hungry

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, markclover said:

The price of a salad is exorbitant.  A few rotten leaves in a box for 100 baht.  It much cheaper to eat unhealthy food.

Ever try to make your own salad?   Wrapping veggies in paper towels and putting them in plastic bags before refrigerating keeps them fresher and extends the shelf life.  If done right the used paper towels can be reused or recycled for other uses.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

It's not just what people eat, it's also how they eat. Many (overweight) people eat too quickly and don't chew food long enough. The body needs time to create a feeling of satiety.

Can continue stuffing themselves with broccoli and spinach quickly and can eat a kilo or two until satiated. Doing that won't cause weight gain. Maybe some weight loss through diarrhea. ????  

1 hour ago, markclover said:

The price of a salad is exorbitant.  A few rotten leaves in a box for 100 baht.  It much cheaper to eat unhealthy food.

Our favorite salad is sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on a bed of salad greens.  You can also add shredded carrots and finely sliced onions.

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And so it's never simple to end a way of life, as you find out quickly when dealing with Thais, for example. The usual old bromides (beloved by Nutritionists here) such as push away from the table and the good ol' starve & sweat don't work--not just for "a lot of us" but for most fat people, already insulin resistance. Everybody already knows the outdated methods. Tried, failed.

No. https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&q=exercising+makes+me+hungryhttps://lmgtfy.app/?q=exercise+makes+me+hungry

Your language and examples are so extreme- who said anything about 'starve and sweat' for instance?  Just one amongst many .

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

One should never fad diet.  They have been around since the 1930's and they have all been proven as unsustainable and not good for you.  These are the same people who sell exercise bikes, rowing machines, stair climbers, etc that just get disused and tossed in the trash eventually.

Eating properly and getting exercise is the only way to keep weight off and stay healthy.  Be it walking, running, or break dancing it doesn't matter.  

Losing weight temporarily does nothing for your health if it all comes back on.  

I never mentioned fad diets. I mentioned keto only to demonstrate that it isn't fats which make you fat. I eat a Mediterranean diet. I fast most days for 18 hours and do HiiT training at the gym most days. All the equipment you mentioned are effective for losing weight. It goes without saying that if you don't use the stuff it won't benefit you. Please don't waste our time.

It's not eating too much that's the problem. You can eat salad all day long and not get fat. It's ONLY carbohydrate and sugar which makes you fat.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ridiculous, Keto is something different. Most sane unbrainwashed people will realise what you say above is rubbish

You're the one who claims that eating fat makes you fat. You shouldn't even be commenting on a diet thread until you do some proper research.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Your language and examples are so extreme- who said anything about 'starve and sweat' for instance?  Just one amongst many .

Makes my point well. Suck it up, address the issue.

Push away from the table = leaves people hungry = starving in their minds, as I've heard one say not long ago.

Exercising enough to burn any appreciable amount of fat = sweat

Intolerable suffering, starve & sweat. A point of pride, of course, for the few doing it successfully and then who promote it as simple and workable for others, most of whom have already screwed up their metabolisms.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Makes my point well. Suck it up, address the issue.

Push away from the table = leaves people hungry = starving in their minds, as I've heard one say not long ago.

Exercising enough to burn any appreciable amount of fat = sweat

Intolerable suffering, starve & sweat. A point of pride, of course, for the few doing it successfully and then who promote it as simple and workable for others, most of whom have already screwed up their metabolisms.

Address the issue? 

I have, a few times already- it's about getting people to eat and exercise in moderation- just to become more active really.

Can it be done?- no I don't think so.

But that's the problem and the only answer imo.  No point making something more complex than it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I fast most days for 18 hours and do HiiT training at the gym most days.

Fat people often need extreme diets as they can't control themselves to eat the right amount, a lack of discipline is a major cause of  fatness, Intermittent Fasting people often binge

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Fat people often need extreme diets as they can't control themselves to eat the right amount, a lack of discipline is a major cause of  fatness, Intermittent Fasting people often binge

I'm 175 cm and 71 Kg. The Mediterranean diet is not an extreme diet. I've been on it all my life except for some drinking. I drink a few beers a month and sometimes a red wine or two. I'm 68.

You might want to quit with the assumptions.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

Address the issue? 

I have, a few times already- it's about getting people to eat and exercise in moderation- just to become more active really.

No, you just go around in a circle repeating assertions.

First, it's about eating the right food. Then they can eat as much as they like while staying at a normal weight. "Moderation" becomes inapplicable. Exercise, particularly in moderation, is pretty much useless for weight loss and may even cause weight gain. 

But that's the problem and the only answer imo.  No point making something more complex than it is.

That isn't the problem, and so you can't possibly have given the answer. No point in oversimplifying merely because you can't grasp the complexity of weight loss in insulin-resistant metabolisms, which is most of them nowadays.  

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

losing weight is 90% diet

@scubascuba3   exercising burns calories which in turns makes you lose weight, 50% is exercise.  it will take longer to see the effects of exercising but will definitely help you lose weight in the long run especially if you maintain it.   And anyway my point really,  was that the majority of thais don't exercise and that can't help the obesity problem.    

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nowadays doc would be accused of fat shaming and lose a patient. Most people hate that idea. Anyway, though exercise has many important benefits, and I take it very seriously, it doesn't much help anyone lose weight. Diet is key.

@BigStar  exercising burns calories which in turns makes you lose weight, 50% is exercise.  it will take longer to see the effects of exercising but will definitely help you lose weight in the long run especially if you maintain it.   And anyway my point really,  was that the majority of thais don't exercise and that can't help the obesity problem.    Can you honestly tell me that obese people are fitness freaks...  NO!                 And I've never met a obese person who exercises,  so it must be a contributing factor.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not enough focus on fatty junk food, focusing on sugary drinks just won't work. They lived for generations on rice carbs no problem

I could actually go and eat Mcdonald's burgers  for a month straight and not gain fat.

Now, would my arteries be ok?  No. 

But if stuck to their burgers and cheese only, you'd be fine weight wise....even lean up being protein and fat only.

Now, part of the problem is the sauces they put on them and not just that its bread on the meat...they fill their processed bread with sugar too.

But again, if you strictly ate their burgers, no buns, for a month you'd trim up.

**now talking about their real meat.  I think they sell two kinds still?  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@BigStar  exercising burns calories which in turns makes you lose weight, 50% is exercise.

LMGTFY:

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&q=why+exercise+doesn't+help+weight+loss

Convince yourself.

Not much calorie burning is under our voluntary control. Most of it is automatic. That's why CICO doesn't really work well: Calories Out can't be known with precision. You can weigh your poop, but that's not good enough.???? Exercise might make you eat more calories, negating the little you burned during exercise.

Eat less, and your body will just burn less to preserve your weight. Big source of frustration for dieters: they suffer hunger without much results on the scales. Eat even less and hunger starts to become intolerable, and hunger wins. The best way out of that problem is a diet that helps you avoid hunger: low carb.

Not to deny that enough counseling, sacrifice, and discipline can achieve results. E. g., Weight Watchers, one of the oldest and most successful diets of them all. We don't like to talk about WW here, though. It means spending money. Better to stay fat and medicated, living that short but happy life.

I never advise very overweight people to exercise, except for slow or moderate walking, and I wince when I see them bouncing on the treadmill in the gym. They probably don't know the true condition of their cardiovascular systems, and all that weight on their joints ain't good. Best lose weight first, get a checkup, then ease into fitness with safety.

Best thing I heard was "you will never out train a bad diet"

I hear a lot of people in the gym saying they are training so that they can down their 3-4 pints of beer after the gym with their friends. None of them are getting slimmer

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, you just go around in a circle repeating assertions.

First, it's about eating the right food. Then they can eat as much as they like while staying at a normal weight. "Moderation" becomes inapplicable. Exercise, particularly in moderation, is pretty much useless for weight loss and may even cause weight gain. 

That isn't the problem, and so you can't possibly have given the answer. No point in oversimplifying merely because you can't grasp the complexity of weight loss in insulin-resistant metabolisms, which is most of them nowadays.  

Well, I simply don't share your belief- it's not so much about eating the right food as about not eating too much- it's more a case of 2 spoons of white rice as opposed to 4.  Of course there are rank bad foods, but even then it's about quantity.  You mentioned eating as much greens as you like, but that's not a good example for obvious gastric reasons.  So, in summary, it's over consumption of ordinary  foods that we tend to eat in everyday life.  As you probably know, carbs are essential to health in my opinion and this seems to be the mainstream medical consensus.  As an example, the world war 2 kids in UK are widely regarded as being the healthiest generation to date.  My dad said he was brought up on bread, spuds, milk, some egg powder, stodge, and corned beef- if he was lucky.  He never saw an orange/banana til later.  He was very physically active as am I.

I believe that the benefits of exercise (although I am really talking about being consistently active) go beyond a slide rule calculation of calories burned. You'll see this if you search 'exercise and metabolism'.  I'm not talking about the binge exerciser who tries to offset his binge eating/drinking.  There is not a single bodily process that is not benefited by good exercise, including the digestive and endocrinal systems.

Yes, sure if someone is insulin resistant special dietary considerations come in to play, but the article is about fat kids, not prediabetic/ diabetic ones. You rather changed the subject there.  But if it gets to that stage and beyond then there is a chance that the metabolism is absolutely shot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Keto makes you sick longterm, your body reacts in a similar way to chemotherapy 

that is nonsense....I would not like to eat keto longterm, but you can perfectly do it without harm....It is a natural way for surviving long winters. We don't need carbohydrates. Still it is rather extreme and I wouldn't do it for decades, but it is possible and some people do it

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No Keto is exactly what he says....no (or very little) carbs and energy intake mostly with saturated fat.