the ideal dual 3-prong socket for a kitchen

mahjongguy

On 3/9/2023 at 4:06 PM, transam said:

Here ya go, 15 year old Panasonic, below a new one in action...????

Plug2.jpg.7d568901352a3a1655d9fadba0bbb0a1.jpgPlug.jpg.6c0d918042dbf6659a25ba9c27a241bb.jpg

Received few minutes ago and easy 5 minute install - plenty of room in box due to deep cover plate and seems to work well.  Easy push of wire into L/N/G but suspect might be an issue removing as don't know how they would be loosened (but did not check closely so perhaps there was a pry point that I missed).  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, Will B Good said:

Yep same problem....whole house is fitted with these.....only good for connections that go straight into the plug...not at 90.

Except probably half of the kitchen appliances we end up buying here in Thailand come with landscape orientation 3-prong plugs, where one of them always has the cord extension interfering/partially blocking the adjoining socket.

Didn't realize the problem at the time.... but long ago, when we had HomePro install updated 3-prong receptacles in the kitchen and bathrooms, the receptacle style they used had the two outlets both facing sideways in the same direction, meaning one sideways facing 3-prong plug is always going to block the adjoining receptacle.

Why the receptacles are oriented that way by default makes ZERO sense to me. Why not have the side-by-side outlets oriented pointing upward or downward so there's no interference?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What exactly?  See none that fit the criteria of allowing 2 right angle plugs access at same time (which is point of this thread) on that link.  

One frame and two independent sockets should do the job.

WALL PLATE PHILIPS LEAF 3 GANG BLACK (homepro.co.th)

SINGLE SOCKET SAFETY SHUTTER 3 PIN PHILIPS LEAF LACK (homepro.co.th)

You can also combine switches, USB, and many other options. This is why I put the link to all those things in my post above.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can also combine switches, USB, and many other options. This is why I put the link to all those things in my post above.

I think two of the grounded plugs will generally not fit into the standard covers. One grounded and on not grounded, one grounded and one not grounded, one grounded and a switch, three not grounded, three switches, but not three grounded. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As said one grounded outlet and a switch is all that will fit in a normal 2x4 box using that method.  And even then there is not much room for wires.  Just replaced such an outlet with the Nano dual top ground Transam posted above.  This should be a valid solution for OP issues (although orientation not as he envisioned).

2 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

One last question:  what can I do about safety shutters?  Is there usually a way to disable or remove them?  

The best way is to buy sockets without them.

Disabling safety features is generally a very poor choice.

However a moderately competent DIYer can reasonably easily make things more dangerous ????

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

I picked these up at DoHome.  Available in black or white, individual bits you mix&match.  HunnyBunny wanted receptacles on the wall above the stovetop.  One standard socket for the stovetop (white) and one specialty socket for the air fryer (black) that accepts the Chinese three prong plug with angled blades.  Both have an on-off rocker switch above the socket.

438544161_poweroutlet.jpg.f8c0d85f532508ee752edcfbebd2b02e.jpg

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Disabling safety features is generally a very poor choice.

However a moderately competent DIYer can reasonably easily make things more dangerous ????

I agree with you in the general case, but:

- the gates are for child safety and these outlets will not be accessible except to very gymnastic kiddies

- most USA style 3-prong outlets are versatile and accept several other plug types but not if they are equipped with gates

- there must be some simple trick for inserting the plug so that the gates move aside but I'm too dull to figure it out

- the real risk is that I will have a fit of frustration and stroke out

3 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

- the gates are for child safety and these outlets will not be accessible except to very gymnastic kiddies

The gates are certainly good for child safety however they are certainly not just for (against) them.

6 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

- most USA style 3-prong outlets are versatile and accept several other plug types but not if they are equipped with gates

I have gates on the majority of of my outlets and so far haven’t noticed any plug that is any more difficult, I’m not saying that all protected sockets accept all plugs (or that your plugs should fit) just that none that I’ve got ever have had a problem.
TIT YMMV

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 1:55 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Why the receptacles are oriented that way by default makes ZERO sense to me. Why not have the side-by-side outlets oriented pointing upward or downward so there's no interference?

Never seen it written in the standard, but heard the rationale that high powered devices are the ones that tend to have right angled plug, so the design prevents two high powered device being plugged into the same socket by choice.....

but the more likely option is that it's cheaper to have rails of live, neutral and earth running along using flat metal in the same orientation rather than have the live/neutral pair be side by side means wiring them with insulated wires or complicated casting of metal instead of straight piece running along both sockets, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised at the availability of 'universal' receptacle still, I though they're supposed to be gone from stores by now as they're outlawed and stores are only allowed to carry stock from 2020s and no new importation since then

But then I only see 'universal' type receptacle, previously you used to be able to get pure Shuiko plug with side groundings which suits kitchen appliance better. 

Maybe they're declaring them as 'universal adaptor' instead of AC plug to get around the law or something