Tourist VIsa to Retirement Visa

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes..

You would obtain a non O based on retirement.

That requires you to have 800k baht in Thai bank account on the day you apply. 

It also requires you to have 15 days + remaining on your permission of stay when you apply.

The non O gives you a 90 day stamp and in the last 30 days with the funds having been in the bank for 2 months you apply for 12month extension. 

The bank account may appear simple but it's not on a tourist visa.

Consider an agent for bank account if you currently don't have one. 

Some information in this thread and link to form TM87 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1263350-conversion-of-tourist-visa-to-type-o/

Many thanks for the info and the link.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

You wrote: I'm coming back into Phuket on a 60 day tourist visa and will be turning 50 when I'm here.

DrJack54 gave the correct advice, and also mentioned that 'you need to have 15 days + remaining on your permission of stay when you apply'. 

So if you are only getting 50 at the end of that 60-day Tourist Visa, you would need to apply at an Immigration Office for a 1 one-time 30-day extension first (costs 1.900,- THB like any other extension), such that you have +15 days left on the Permission to stay when you apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

#1 - Yes, one example being some years ago in Roy-Et province, where several farangs were picked up and extradited ...

Not very specific at all, some and several

And Thailand cannot 'extradite' a farang in this manner - that's for bringing one back not sending one away. If at all correct, deport would be the right term.

17 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Not very specific at all, some and several

And Thailand cannot 'extradite' a farang in this manner - that's for bringing one back not sending one away. If at all correct, deport would be the right term.

I am not a native english speaker, so yes the word 'deport' is the right term.

I only mentioned using an Agent to circumvent the required funds in bank requirement, as it is often represented on this Forum as a 'fully legit' option. It is NOT. But as I wrote, the risk of being deported when having made use of that financially attractive option is very small, but not non-existing.

Let's keep it at that, and let everybody decide for themselves whether the reward is worth the small risk...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:04 AM, Red Phoenix said:

If your financial situation does not allow to permanently keep +800.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account, then there is indeed the 'agent solution'.  Although the Non Imm O Visa stamp that they can get for you is legit, the method by which they get hold of it is not. 

Although the risk is very small, there have in the past been crack-downs on Immigration Officers and agencies involved in such hanky-panky, and with them the farangs that made use of such 'agency service' being extradited from Thailand with a 5 to 10 year entry-ban. 

Note that it is fully legit to make use of an agent for dealing with Immigration when you meet all the application requirements, it's only when the agent has to circumvent the requirements because you cannot meet them, that you are getting in 'illegal' territory.

Well, well, this was just posted today. 

When you got your Visa using an Agent to circumvent the Immigration requirements (e.g. the required funds on a Thai bank-account) in one of those 9 Provinces, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you got your Visa using an Agent to circumvent the Immigration requirements (e.g. the required funds on a Thai bank-account) in one of those 9 Provinces, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise...

Hopefully 

14 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

...I only mentioned using an Agent to circumvent the required funds in bank requirement, as it is often represented on this Forum as a 'fully legit' option. It is NOT... 

For many it's not an option - it's the only solution. 

12 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

This involves Chinese mafia and their dodgy activities. When he was the immigration chief he was more interested in catching overstayers and street drug peddlers. I don't think he is interested in catching  foreigners bribing IOs through agents for their stay in Thailand. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:33 AM, DrJack54 said:

It also requires you to have 15 days + remaining on your permission of stay when you apply.

Am sure I read that in Phuket you need something like 21 days left on your permission to stay to apply for the conversion. 

But if the OP is arriving on a 60 day Tourist Visa they always have the option of getting a 30 day extension before doing the conversion... 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Am sure I read that in Phuket you need something like 21 days left on your permission to stay to apply for the conversion. 

But if the OP is arriving on a 60 day Tourist Visa they always have the option of getting a 30 day extension before doing the conversion... 

Hi Mike, you are correct that some Imm Offices require more time left on your permission to stay than the regular 15 days.  So, those wanting to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa need to check the number of days at the Imm Office of the province where they plan to reside.

And it is also correct that when arriving on a 60-day Tourist Visa or having entered Thailand Visa Exempt (which currently provides you with a 45-day Permit to stay) that you can apply for a one-time 30 days extension of stay.  This in case you need more time to get 'your ducks on a row' to meet the application criteria (the search for a Thai bank willing to open a bank-account for you, might take some time).  

Note 1: And for those married to a Thai national, they can on top of the above also apply for a one-time per entry 60-days extension for reason of visiting your spouse.  

Note 2: And every extension - irrespective whether it is for 30 or 60 days, or for a full year, costs 1.900 THB.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

sure I read that in Phuket you need something like 21 days left on your permission to stay to apply for the conversion.

I'm aware that CM requires 21 days. 

Was not aware Phuket is 21.

Obviously folk need to be aware of their own immigration office requirements. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

This involves Chinese mafia and their dodgy activities. When he was the immigration chief he was more interested in catching overstayers and street drug peddlers. I don't think he is interested in catching  foreigners bribing IOs through agents for their stay in Thailand. 

Incremental changes may be in effect, slow but sure. It’s good to be mindful and not assume for the best ????

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I recommend the OP apply for their 90-day Visa in Phuket as soon as practical. 

I recently (on 7-October-2022) arrived in Phuket on a 45-day Visa Exempt (ie 15 days less than a 60-day tourist Visa) with a permission to stay until 20-November-2022.  Unfortunately I caught a mild case of COVID on the way to Thailand, so I had to isolate at my home in Phuket for over a week, before I could go to Immigration (on 18-October) to apply for my Visa.

Still, I was able to apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa (for reason of retirement) at Phuket immigation on 18-October. Yet  I did not obtain my 90-day Type-O visa until the 7-December.   That meant from 20-November to 7-October, the only thing that I had for proof of my authorized stay in Thailand was a receipt for my Passport (as on 21-Nov immigration kept my passport).

So in my case, it took 7 weeks for Phuket immigration to approve the 90-day type-O (for reason of retirement) Visa.  (In contrast, in early January-2023, applying for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement, on my original 90-day type-O visa, only took one day at Phuket immigration).

Ergo, as soon as you arrive, I recommend the OP open a bank account, and then as soon as the required money is in the account, go apply for the 90-Day-Type- visa (for reason of retirement).  

Edited by oldcpu

10 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I recommend the OP apply for their 90-day Visa in Phuket as soon as practical. 

I recently (on 7-October-2022) arrived in Phuket on a 45-day Visa Exempt (ie 15 days less than a 60-day tourist Visa) with a permission to stay until 20-November-2022.  Unfortunately I caught a mild case of COVID on the way to Thailand, so I had to isolate at my home in Phuket for over a week, before I could go to Immigration (on 18-October) to apply for my Visa.

Still, I was able to apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa (for reason of retirement) at Phuket immigation on 18-October. Yet  I did not obtain my 90-day Type-O visa until the 7-December.   That meant from 20-November to 7-October, the only thing that I had for proof of my authorized stay in Thailand was a receipt for my Passport (as on 21-Nov immigration kept my passport).

So in my case, it took 7 weeks for Phuket immigration to approve the 90-day type-O (for reason of retirement) Visa.  (In contrast, in early January-2023, applying for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement, on my original 90-day type-O visa, only took one day at Phuket immigration).

Ergo, as soon as you arrive, I recommend the OP open a bank account, and then as soon as the required money is in the account, go apply for the 90-Day-Type- visa (for reason of retirement).  

Thank you. I will do that.