Exterior sunshading - why not common in Thailand?

CLW

Most sunshading products here in Thailand (rollers, shutters, blinds - you name it) are available only for indoor use.

Since that still leaves a lot of heat through to the inside of the building, I was planning to install exterior sunshading on the new house.

But I haven't seen this kind of product or found a distributor / manufacturer.

Anyone wanted to do the same or knows brands/companies that I can ask? Thank you!

Outdoor Venetian Blinds - Perfect Blinds Merseyside

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree, it's odd you don't see it here, this is popular in Southern Europe, usually roll down rather than blinds with the release/roll-up mechanism inside, provides heat/cold insulation, noise reduction and blackout room for good sleep. Nearly all condos had it iirc at least over the bedroom windows/patio doors. Just though it probably also adds a layer of security too, although maybe not to be fully depended on.

Edited by Snugs08
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's just plain ugly, and needs constant opening/closing & cleaning.  Same with horizonal indoor venetian blinds.

Agree, sun sometimes not taken into consideration, though when thinking a bit, position of house, rooms and extended roofing provides more than enough shade control the heat.

Use of different building materials, maybe a bit more expensive, but pay for themselves in a short period.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you have a little time maybe visit this:

https://architectexpo.com/

I was there last year, and they have many interesting products.

Be aware that many exhibitors are only interested in contractors and not in house owner's enquiries.

If you can't wait look at their website and list or products and companies. I guess you will find something.

• Thanks 1

I have in total 8 outside roller shutters installed. Two of them are the mother of all roller shutters at around 6.0x5.5 meters. Another 3 are equally high but less wide. Since I also couldn't find anything locally I initially looked for an imported product that would have cost an arm and a leg. Finally I found a local company that could do the job. Mind you the bigger shutters weigh around 450 kg each that had to be installed at 6 meters heigh. Other also fairly large shutters had to be installed on the 3rd floor. Product quality not as good and smooth as in Europe. But they certainly do the trick and keep our rooms cool during the hot season, dry during the rainy season and safe from burglars during the burglary season which can last up to 12 months. It was certainly worth the investment. I now control the shutters with Amazon's Alexa. For the shutters you can call Simon Fox at KSS Company. Phone number 081 813 0094. 

You can tell Simon that Patrick with the biggest roller shutters in Thailand sent you. Might give me some discount on future service.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pitak Chirachat said:

I have in total 8 outside roller shutters installed. Two of them are the mother of all roller shutters at around 6.0x5.5 meters. Another 3 are equally high but less wide. Since I also couldn't find anything locally I initially looked for an imported product that would have cost an arm and a leg. Finally I found a local company that could do the job. Mind you the bigger shutters weigh around 450 kg each that had to be installed at 6 meters heigh. Other also fairly large shutters had to be installed on the 3rd floor. Product quality not as good and smooth as in Europe. But they certainly do the trick and keep our rooms cool during the hot season, dry during the rainy season and safe from burglars during the burglary season which can last up to 12 months. It was certainly worth the investment. I now control the shutters with Amazon's Alexa. For the shutters you can call Simon Fox at KSS Company. Phone number 081 813 0094. 

You can tell Simon that Patrick with the biggest roller shutters in Thailand sent you. Might give me some discount on future service.

Thanks a lot for pointing me to KSS.

I've visited their website before. Looking all good.

However, it's still shutters where the rooms inside are quite dark as opposed to roller or venetian blinds.

Benefits are certainly the material from aluminum and it's durability.

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Useful, but imported. Therefore I guess it is very expensive.

I have seen louvers or grilles made in Thailand at metal or aluminum stores.

You could install them on a (window) frame or rail and install outside the windows.

Problem is you would have to close them by hand most likely

9 minutes ago, CLW said:

Useful, but imported. Therefore I guess it is very expensive.

I have seen louvers or grilles made in Thailand at metal or aluminum stores.

You could install them on a (window) frame or rail and install outside the windows.

Problem is you would have to close them by hand most likely

There is a Ruskin plant in Thailand.

Vector is their agent.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, most of them you can actually see out of, and a lot them open to let in fresh air... 

Hot air, why would you need 3 double patio glass doors and 2 other windows in a small room to do that, my SIL Sansiri house is like that. Lot of them have more glass than concrete or brick.

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, most of them you can actually see out of, and a lot them open to let in fresh air... 

Yeah, in the beach areas.

But inland?

Even in the areas where the night temps are almost always cool and comfortable.

The amount of heat a virtual greenhouse will absorb during the sunny day would be tremendous.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, proton said:

Never understand why houses here have so many widows all over the place, they are always covered up with curtains anyway most of the time. Windows just let in the heat and noise

for better design resulting in higher sales price.

Those architects or developers don't have to endure the heat, noise or pay the expensive electricity bill.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, proton said:

Hot air, why would you need 3 double patio glass doors and 2 other windows in a small room to do that, my SIL Sansiri house is like that. Lot of them have more glass than concrete or brick.

Like I said, design with glass surfaces sells better than solid walls

32 minutes ago, proton said:

Never understand why houses here have so many widows all over the place, they are always covered up with curtains anyway most of the time. Windows just let in the heat and noise

Air-cons sort it in no time. 

Close curtains in day,  open  at night.

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Do you nail or bolt them to the windows? ???? 

Is this an attempt to be smart?

Normally i put them in pots or at my house i dig a hole and plant them in the soil - who'd have thought......

• Haha 1

Just now, PJ71 said:

Is this an attempt to be smart?

I think it may have been a joke.. 

Just now, PJ71 said:

Normally i put them in pots or at my house i dig a hole and plant them in the soil - who'd have thought......

Indeed

• Thumbs Up 1