Non-O Based on retirement - How to?

Hi.

I am British citizen planning to retire in Thailand April 2023. Please could someone advise the current (best) process to obtain the Non-O based on retirement - 800,000 Baht in the bank.

My local immigration office will be Nong Khai

I understand I can arrive in Thailand and obtain 45 days visa exempt. What are my next steps and the timelines? If there are forms needed (I am sure there will be) where can I download them from?

I have a bank account with Bangkok Bank. Currently this has very little funds - when is the best time to transfer the 800k?

I plan to buy a single ticket to Thailand - Do I need to buy a "cheap" flight out of Thailand - I read somewhere there are websites that offer some kind of ticketing service which works or should I buy a "real" ticket

Are there currently any specific health insurance criteria I would need to meet - last time I arrived I needed Covid cover

Many thanks in advance

Tim

If you're entering after March 31, 2023, you'll only get 30 days absent a change in the law in the next 3 weeks (the Tourist Bureau has advocated extending the 45-day routine for the rest of the year but the government has not taken any action on that as yet); regardless, if you run short of time to meet the 15-day requirement Dr. Jack mentions, you can always get a 30-day extension to your visa exempt entry).  Although irrelevant for you, at least one immigration office (Chiangmai) requires 21 days left on a visa exempt entry (or tourist visa) to apply for conversion to a Non-O.

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

You could attempt the online 90 day Non O based on retirement from your area in the UK, gives you lots of time to get organized after arrival for 1 year extensions.....

That's definitely a good option.

One important thing in the OP is that he has an existing Thai bank account.

Nothing stopping him from applying for non O virtually as soon as he enters Thailand.

The non O stamp giving him 90 days to organize the extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

You could attempt the online 90 day Non O based on retirement from your area in the UK, gives you lots of time to get organized after arrival for 1 year extensions.....

Do you require insurance for an online application for a  Non O based on retirement?

From the London Thai Embassy -

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

Is this Insurance still required?

6 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

Previously it was.

Folk were purchasing 90 day cover.

However my understanding is now not required even though it states that on website as you point out above. 

Outdated. 

Here is thread from Dec last year.

Personally I would obtain the non O in Thailand. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1281853-non-o-90-day-retirement-visa-from-the-london-embassy/

Edited by DrJack54

Can anyone who has applied recently   online for a Non O based on retirement from UK confirm that insurance is not required. I applied in October last year and it was required at that time. 

I know that no insurance is required for on Non O based on marriage. 

Edited by Tim16

46 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

Do you require insurance for an online application for a  Non O based on retirement?

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

The insurance requirementwas amended by a popup on the website some time ago which has since disappeared.   I suspect there is a reluctance to change the website as it is the same for all countries involved and amendments are put out by notification, the last being in Jan. At the moment only China and India are subject to insurance.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000733c

If you can use a computer at all, the e-visa is the best way to go.

7 hours ago, Tim16 said:

•  

I'm not sure about the health insurance thing on the Non O  e-visa application presently, I had valid insurance from a 'killed off' OA nine months ago. Write on a piece of paper your UK bank balance is your coverage upload it and submit,  see if you get through.......

Just following up having seen some additional comments.

As Dr Jack highlights I already have a Thai bank account which I think is the main stumbling point for people arriving visa exempt. I did previously make an enquiry to the Thai Embassy in London for a 3 month Non-O and they said I needed the same insurance as OA visa – which is why I am keen to just arrive visa exempt.

So just following on from my original post, If I transfer 800K a week before I arrive in Thailand, what else do I need to have/do to get the 3 month Non-O “visa”. I will be staying with my in-laws but I’m not in a yellow book and I don’t have a pink ID card yet.

I want to apply for the 3 month Non-O “visa” as soon as possible so any help in advising me what else I need in place would be very much appreciated. I was hoping to arrive and go straight to the immigration in Nong Khai register TM30 and do the Non-O at the same time if that’s possible?

On 3/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, TimF said:

Just following up having seen some additional comments.

As Dr Jack highlights I already have a Thai bank account which I think is the main stumbling point for people arriving visa exempt. I did previously make an enquiry to the Thai Embassy in London for a 3 month Non-O and they said I needed the same insurance as OA visa – which is why I am keen to just arrive visa exempt.

So just following on from my original post, If I transfer 800K a week before I arrive in Thailand, what else do I need to have/do to get the 3 month Non-O “visa”. I will be staying with my in-laws but I’m not in a yellow book and I don’t have a pink ID card yet.

I want to apply for the 3 month Non-O “visa” as soon as possible so any help in advising me what else I need in place would be very much appreciated. I was hoping to arrive and go straight to the immigration in Nong Khai register TM30 and do the Non-O at the same time if that’s possible?

Click on the following link for details as to how you go about applying for a 90-day non-O visa conversion for retirement at your local immigration office:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1