As U get older ,have you become a dilligaf ?

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He's big on the sarcasm angle, as am I. 

But really you don't need to feel bad if you want to use couldn't care less.

The real reason people say “I could care less.” (slate.com)

Liberal hack journalist writing in notoriously "progressive" media inevitably siding with the mob. Dismissed.

The sarcasm angle has been refuted by the real authorities, including one you've referenced. Nor was your use of it sarcastic but merely illiterate.

Repetition of the same nonsense won't make it true.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In defense of could care less.

From an American media source, of course.

Another amusing thing about all this is the common British misconception that Americans don't get irony or sarcasm. Yet it seems to be the Brits here most outraged by my defense of the American sarcastic use of could care less. So who doesn't get sarcasm then snookums? 

Still looking for a problem to fit your solution? Give it up man, you are just making yourself look pathetic. 
It’s like defending those who pronounce ‘ask’ as ‘axe’. That’s also American and also very wrong. 
Even you have admitted that it only works when you say it to people who understand, but that it doesn’t work when it’s written. 
Yet you keep digging, in the hope that you can find a reference that agrees with your written usage. Days later and you are still a failure in that. Give it up man…. you are just illustrating poor character. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Yeah, but when you're older, you much, much more don't GAF.

And then, because you're older, nobody G'sAF that you don't GAF.

But then once you don't GAF about that, you win. You have left the wheel of GAF samsara.

Samsara, very beautiful movie.

Sounds like a rational way of living. The sexual orientation of others is none of my business unless it involved underage persons or has something to do with sex trafficking.Other types of gossip bore me and make me wonder what the individual says about ME when I'm not around. Minding one's own business is incredibly easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Sounds like a rational way of living. The sexual orientation of others is none of my business unless it involved underage persons or has something to do with sex trafficking.Other types of gossip bore me and make me wonder what the individual says about ME when I'm not around. Minding one's own business is incredibly easy.

Very good points ,if they start gossip about others to you ,then what are they saying about you ?

Regarding 'could' or 'couldn't' care less, perhaps we need a new term.

"I am asymptotically approaching a state of the absence of caring"

Everybody wins.

As for this DILLIGAF thing...since moving here and running a business, I have found that many expats tend toward the negative. Lots of bitter people. I can understand why, I suppose, just by looking at them. Obese, drunk by mid afternoon, not looking as if they are financially well off....their life doesn't seem to have met the expectations they had for it, even if they will tell anyone who will listen that they are 'living the dream'.

Personally, I think no matter what age one is, life is too short for negative. I don't want to hear it. Now empathy is one thing, and has value, but to be empathetic requires that a problem must be real, like cancer, or being a resident of Bakhmut or Aleppo. That somebody just doesn't like something or like himself.....I would rather not hear it. His failures are his fault. He can either pick himself up and better himself, or keep quiet.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Regarding 'could' or 'couldn't' care less, perhaps we need a new term.

"I am asymptotically approaching a state of the absence of caring"

Everybody wins.

Another one that doesn't get it.

Although it does sound illogical, the actual intended meaning of could care less is exactly the same as couldn't care less.

Again, they are both informal idioms.

There is no requirement of logic for informal idioms.

It would be like insisting on perfect logic in slang. 

On 3/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, Cricky said:

Yep, miserable, complaining foreigners, there are lots here. 

Like I keep saying, the worst thing about Thailand is some of the foreigners. 

I want Thailand to go back to how it was back in 1999 when I arrived. 
It's not the same place, all the foreigners coming here moaning and complaining about this and that. It's why I chose to spend the rest of my life here in Thailand, it's why I chose to leave Australia, to get away from the awful people, Thailand was different, it suited me, but now it's changing, so many foreign people making it miserable.

I read this article earlier, a restaurant owner in shock, oh well, expect more of these types in your business. 

I want the old Thailand back, go away you nasty foreigners. 

IMG_20230314_172828.jpg

Edited by Cricky
  • Sad 1

Retired at 47 from a very highly paid job with a multinational company and to be honest I wasn’t really giving a <deleted> from when I was 42.
We don’t mix with negative people, we enjoy the friendships we have and our family. Personally I steer clear of people who seem to constantly moan about their lives, they made their choices and are paying for it now, I made other, better choices and have the ability to kick these people into touch without GAF. 

• Love It 2

On 3/13/2023 at 1:02 PM, BritManToo said:

The person who did me most harm in my life was my Brit wife of 30 years.

The two people that did the most harm in my life were the two women I loved, and the next most harmful were 2 guys I'd been friends with for 25 and 30 years.

No wonder I gave up on making new friends.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cricky said:

Thailand was different, it suited me, but now it's changing, so many foreign people making it miserable.

I never had a problem avoiding such people. Perhaps you need to change the places you go, or even move to a place without farangs, like I did.

The problem for me was that Thailand was becoming too much like western countries.

2 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

Personally I steer clear of people who seem to constantly moan about their lives, they made their choices and are paying for it now, I made other, better choices and have the ability to kick these people into touch without GAF. 

Most people don't really make any choices.

Like me, they just went with the flow.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most people don't really make any choices.

Like me, they just went with the flow.

Disagree, "going with the flow" is choosing the path of least resistance, its  a choice none the less. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never had a problem avoiding such people. Perhaps you need to change the places you go, or even move to a place without farangs, like I did.

The problem for me was that Thailand was becoming too much like western countries.

It's hard to avoid people in the workplace , I had a nursing unit manager in the hospital I work in come to me yesterday at 130pm  in the locker room..."can you go urgently go to ward 12 and wheel miss Smith to Radiooncology  " ,( I don't start work until 2pm )

So I told the feminine Nursing manager , " mate I don't start until 2pm ..it's now 135pm....your  problems are not mine !!!

These people cannot take the hint of being avoided 

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's hard to avoid people in the workplace , I had a nursing unit manager in the hospital I work in come to me yesterday at 130pm  in the locker room..."can you go urgently go to ward 12 and wheel miss Smith to Radiooncology  " ,( I don't start work until 2pm )

So I told the feminine Nursing manager , " mate I don't start until 2pm ..it's now 135pm....your  problems are not mine !!!

These people cannot take the hint of being avoided ,they look for you to put THEIR problem onto you ! 

On 3/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, 473geo said:

For most I think this phase gently creeps in with sporadic use originally, becoming more frequent as the years tick over 

You appear to have flipped completely 'toxic' to me is a much over used 'in' word most of our friends and acquaintances will carry opinion(s) abrasive to our beliefs if we look hard enough, but wouldn't your new found dgaf allow you to ignore their idiosyncrasies and continue the friendship

Seems to me that it was the OP's acquaintances "idiosyncrasies" of getting unnecessarily excited over stuff that they have no control over and thus becoming 'toxic'.

I'm firmly in the dilligaf corner when someone gets all wound up about what is fundamentally inconsequential stuff. This includes friends and acquaintances who may just be having a(nother) bad hair day. If they persist though, then maybe I'll move a few bar stools further away?

On 3/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, Kwasaki said:

I have got no idea what your on about what ever you get or you have that you have no control over tough,  like my mate use to say if you live a life not taking care of yourself the damage is already done. 

Keep taking the pills. 

It's not about the OP's health, it's about

On 3/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, georgegeorgia said:

That scare made me rethink my life and who I associate with and what I care about.

In the last few months I have stopped association with toxic people.

You're well-entrenched in the dilligaf camp if you didn't even read beyond the OP's first paragraph before posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

These people cannot take the hint of being avoided 

Unless you are a Thai, you must be a porter working in a western hospital ( I can't see a farang being allowed to be a porter in a Thai hospital ), so I was referring to a retired person living in LOS.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Seems to me that it was the OP's acquaintances "idiosyncrasies" of getting unnecessarily excited over stuff that they have no control over and thus becoming 'toxic'.

I'm firmly in the dilligaf corner when someone gets all wound up about what is fundamentally inconsequential stuff. This includes friends and acquaintances who may just be having a(nother) bad hair day. If they persist though, then maybe I'll move a few bar stools further away?

Its good you try to please

On 3/14/2023 at 4:33 AM, Jingthing said:

In defense of could care less.

From an American media source, of course.

Another amusing thing about all this is the common British misconception that Americans don't get irony or sarcasm. Yet it seems to be the Brits here most outraged by my defense of the American sarcastic use of could care less. So who doesn't get sarcasm then snookums? 

You're making a big effort to defend the Americanism "I could care less". There is no need. We all concede that most Americans use "I could care less". Why they use it doesn't matter.