Rule on running engine while refueling

itsari

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Well known Thai proverb - Rules are meant for breaking.

Come to think of it - well known universal proverb - Rules are meant for ignoring!!

No, rules are made for following. Unfortunately the society is sick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How come there aren't explosions every day from the millions of cars that do have their engines running when they pull up or drive away, then?

It has to do with limiting risk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, itsari said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Risk from what?

An explosion from the vapour coming out from the tank as you fill the tank with fuel 

Why would petrol vapour just explode?  Thousands of petrol stations throughout the country with thousands of pumps don't explode.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why is that the case?

As regards mobiles, my Mrs was talking on her's whilst driving, her speed continuously dropping. When she got down to about 10kmph I couldn't stand it any more. I tried to explain that other road users don't know what's happening and are making desperate overtaking attempts. She responded; 'Don't you know it's very dangerous to drive quickly when you're on your mobile?'

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

It It's diesel fuel then zero danger. I think even for other fuels the risk is minimal.  What about the other cars coming and going next to you while fueling.

I agree, but if all cars turn off there engine you minimise the risk.

Screenshot_20230312_141721.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

The car I saw with the engine running was a brand new Fortuna with the heavy tinted windows and can only assume they want to have the air conditioning running . I know it is a small risk that a explosion could happen , but a small risk it is and it would not be just the occupants of the car that would suffer . Totally selfish in my opinion

Write to your Congressman.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It It's diesel fuel then zero danger. I think even for other fuels the risk is minimal.  What about the other cars coming and going next to you while fueling.

Diesel vapour can explode but needs a higher temperature .

7 minutes ago, itsari said:

Diesel vapour can explode but needs a higher temperature .

You can drop a lit cig into diesel and it won't explode. But yeah, I always turn my car off. It's just common practice.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, itsari said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't it need an ignition source?

Smoking , mobil phones , electric short from a fault in the car etc

Who smokes while filling up and how would turning off the engine help that situation?

What about "mobil" phones?  They don't generate sparks

Electrical short?  You mean when the car bursts into flames?  If there was an electrical short of such huge consequence there'd be almost no chance that the car was able to be driven to the pump.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who smokes while filling up and how would turning off the engine help that situation?

What about mobil [sic] phones?

Electrical short?  You mean when the car bursts into flames?  If there was an electrical short of such huge consequence there'd be almost no chance that the car was able to be driven to the pump.

Many reasons you could have a fault in the wiring of a car.

I had my tank filled in the Philippines with a pump attendant smoking at the same time .Not seen it here yet

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So why is it pretty much universal that we turn of our vehicles and do not use our phones when refusing our cars the counties many of us come from ?

Obviously the rule was from times when there was greater risk of the vehicle being a potential ignition source, these days it would just be those poorly maintained vehicles which are a potential source. 

Turning off the car limits the risk.... 

Mobile phones.. I too am extremely skeptical about this one... 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, itsari said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What about mobil [sic] phones?

Expand  

Many reasons you could have a fault in the wiring of a car.

I know that, but has there ever been any report of that causing an explosion while a car was being filled up...ever?

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that, but has there ever been any report of that causing an explosion while a car was being filled up...ever?

Yes it has been known before .

There was an explosion caused by a mobil phone one time that I have read about when the user received a call while filling up the tank.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

So why is it pretty much universal that we turn of our vehicles and do not use our phones when refusing our cars the counties many of us come from ?

Obviously the rule was from times when there was greater risk of the vehicle being a potential ignition source, these days it would just be those poorly maintained vehicles which are a potential source. 

Turning off the car limits the risk.... 

Mobile phones.. I too am extremely skeptical about this one... 

"So why is it pretty much universal that we turn of our vehicles and do not use our phones when refusing our cars the counties many of us come from ?"

No idea why.  Because we're all sheep, I suppose.  Maybe someone here could explain how a running engine poses a real danger of causing the tank to explode while refuelling?   I've never heard of a reported incident of it causing problems, maybe others have.

"Mobile phones.. I too am extremely skeptical about this one..."

Yes, can't remember the last time my phone started throwing sparks all over the place.  Can't recall any reports of them causing explosions, either.  It's a bit like the making a call on a plane "danger", if there really was a danger phones would be banned from petrol stations and planes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, itsari said:
17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes it has been known before .

There was an explosion caused by a mobil phone one time that I have read about when the user received a call while filling up the tank.

Hearsay.  Searches do not bring that alleged incident up.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"So why is it pretty much universal that we turn of our vehicles and do not use our phones when refusing our cars the counties many of us come from ?"

No idea why.  Because we're all sheep, I suppose.  Maybe someone here could explain how a running engine poses a real danger of causing the tank to explode while refuelling?   I've never heard of a reported incident of it causing problems, maybe others have.

"Mobile phones.. I too am extremely skeptical about this one..."

Yes, can't remember the last time my phone started throwing sparks all over the place.  Can't recall any reports of them causing explosions, either.  It's a bit like the making a call on a plane "danger", if there really was a danger phones would be banned from petrol stations and planes.

You don't understand the risks simple.

• Like 1