Rule on running engine while refueling

itsari

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I always turned the car off, as a courtesy to the workers, as if they don't have enough fumes to suck in all day, they didn't need me adding to it.

What fumes does your motor pump out when stationary?

Maybe best get that checked out.

Just now, PJ71 said:

Never been in a gas station here where people turn off their cars - unless the key os required.

Therefore I make a point .

Ignorant behaviour to leave the engine running and busy talking on the phone and enjoy the air conditioning.

Sad 

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

My Mrs point blank refuses to switch off the engine when the petrol pump attendant is pumping. Fortunately, she doesn't smoke! Must admit I was surprised when a taxi driver told me to exit his vehicle whilst it was being refulled.

Gas ?

1 minute ago, itsari said:

If you believe that then all well and good.

If a phone can burst into flames on the users bed side then the phone. Can do the same while being  charged in a car or motorcycle.

It's not a question of what I believe. The facts show (as stated in that article) that no fire or explosion caused by a phone at a petrol station has ever been documented.

I didn't say that it's 100% impossible that it ever could happen, but the urban myth that you quoted (which I was countering) was saying that an explosion had been caused by a person simply receiving a phone call - something that has never been known to have happened.

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's not a question of what I believe. The facts show (as stated in that article) that no fire or explosion caused by a phone at a petrol station has ever been documented.

I didn't say that it's 100% impossible that it ever could happen, but the urban myth that you quoted (which I was countering) was saying that an explosion had been caused by a person simply receiving a phone call - something that has never been known to have happened.

The article is false .

Sorry to be blunt

13 minutes ago, itsari said:

Any evidence that a phone  could cause a fire will be suppressed for obvious reasons.

You honestly believe that the mobile phone industry can somehow suppress reports from every single fire department and accident reporting authority in every country throughout the entire world?

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You honestly believe that the mobile phone industry can somehow suppress reports from every single fire department and accident reporting authority in every country throughout the entire world?

Yes I do.

If a phone that catches fire at a bed side while charging, then the phone can have the same affect while filling up with fuel o. A. Ar or motorcycle 

Edited by itsari
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Not normal , 0nly inconsiderate ignorant drivers will do that

Totally normal here.

What % of drivers would you say turn off their engine here when re-fueling, from what i've seen ( doing 60-70K per year ) i'd say almost zero.

But you are funny....

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'll have some of that to smoke too pls - sounds great.

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Totally normal here.

What % of drivers would you say turn off their engine here when re-fueling, from what i've seen ( doing 60-70K per year ) i'd say almost zero.

But you are funny....

I may be funny but I am realistic.

7 minutes ago, itsari said:

The article is false .

Sorry to be blunt

Which article is false? The one I linked to, that has quotes from verifiable sources?

And it was only one of several articles I could have linked to, that say the same thing.

Here's another one, from the UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA).

On occasion unsubstantiated reports emerge of mobile phones causing fires on petrol filling stations and other locations where flammable vapours are present. In fact, when research has been done into whether this has occurred (see the work of the Energy Institute), no evidence linking fires to mobile phone ignition has been found.

Mobile phones on filling station forecourts

I can give you about a dozen more links, if you'd like, from multiple different sources, all saying the same thing - that no evidence of mobile phones causing fires in petrol stations has ever been found.

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

Yes I do.

If a phone that catches fire at a bed side while charging, then the phone can have the same affect while filling up with fuel o. A. Ar or motorcycle 

Again, the question was not whether it could theoretically occur, it was whether there is any evidence of it ever having happened. And there isn't.

27 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Again, the question was not whether it could theoretically occur, it was whether there is any evidence of it ever having happened. And there isn't.

I believe there is evidence to show that  charging a phone or  refueling a car is a danger to all those around them .

31 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
41 minutes ago, itsari said:

Yes I do.

Yet there are regulations and rules put in place to stop people from using phones while putting petrol in their vehicles in nearly every country (most countries) world wide.

Are they wrong that this is something which is possible ?

Many industries are very clear that phones are not intrinsically safe and ban them in environments which ‘could’ become combustable. While filling up a vehicle the area surrounding the ’nozzle’ is a potentially combustable environment for a brief period of time until vapours sufficiently dissipate. 

Personally, I think it would be foolish to use any electrical device when filling up with fuel.

But, using a phone while sat inside the car is obviously a very different matter and perfectly safe. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet there are regulations and rules put in place to stop people from using phones while putting petrol in their vehicles in nearly every country (most countries) world wide.

Are they wrong that this is something which is possible ?

Many industries are very clear that phones are not intrinsically safe and ban them in environments which ‘could’ become combustable. While filling up a vehicle the area surrounding the ’nozzle’ is a potentially combustable environment for a brief period of time until vapours sufficiently dissipate. 

Personally, I think it would be foolish to use any electrical device when filling up with fuel.

But, using a phone while sat inside the car is obviously a very different matter and perfectly safe. 

Good luck to that Sir

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, there's a chance...but it has never happened causing an explosion at a filling station so the chance is not even worth considering!

Never happened ? You are such a wonderful individual with such wisdom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, there's a chance...but it has never happened causing an explosion at a filling station so the chance is not even worth considering!

So fate will fall in your favour if you are at a service station 

Good evening sir

• Haha 1

How many people have actually seen a fire at a gas station? I never have. 

How many people have actually seen a phone catch fire? I never have. 

I have seen bed fire, chemical fire, kitchen fires, garbage fires, tire fires, car fires, boat fire, electoral fire. 

So is the thinking that my car will be filled with gas fumes (without me noticing) at the precise moment my mobile phone decides to explode? 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

"I mentioned that to the person working the pumps.........."

That was your first mistake.

Mistake maybe , mistake or no mistake all are placed in a potential explosion because of a persons ignorance leaving the engine running so they have a cool cab . 

30 minutes ago, itsari said:

Mistake maybe , mistake or no mistake all are placed in a potential explosion because of a persons ignorance leaving the engine running so they have a cool cab . 

I think there's a bigger chance of having a fire when your EV is in an accident.

Potential???  What's the odds? How many vehicles ae refueled every day and how many fires occur?

There's a greater potential you'll be walking down a sidewalk in Thailand and a scooter going in the wrong direction at night time with no lights on, carrying a family of 4 with no helmets being worn, the driver smoking a cigarette while his wife is talking on the phone and has a 3 month old child in her arms hits you.

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I think there's a bigger chance of having a fire when your EV is in an accident.

Potential???  What's the odds? How many vehicles ae refueled every day and how many fires occur?

There's a greater potential you'll be walking down a sidewalk in Thailand and a scooter going in the wrong direction at night time with no lights on, carrying a family of 4 with no helmets being worn, the driver smoking a cigarette while his wife is talking on the phone and has a 3 month old child in her arms hits you.

Yes , you are so right in what you say , yet why add to the anarchy .