Rule on running engine while refueling

itsari

Throwing a cigar in a pool of fuel will smother it. The fumes are the dangerous element  and can be ignited by a spark. When you flick a lighter there is a tiny spark first that is momentarily much hotter than the butane flame. The main danger is a spark from static electricity I don't knpw why cars are not required to be grounded but planes are. By a metal cable prior to touching the fuel nozzle to the receptacle which have brass fittings also.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would appear that industry world wide disagrees with you and the ‘chance’ is worth considering.... Hence the policy at filling stations world wide that phones are not used while filling the car and the engine is turned off. 

It seems you are suggesting that such policies are wrong and you in fact know better than the energy companies and industries in which there is a risk of a potentially explosive environment.

Just ignore him he never agrees with anything or anybody 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolute tosh....    Are you also going to claim you have never been asked not to smoke at a petrol station forecourt too ???

Pretty much every time you go to a petrol station a sign is placed on the bonnet / hood of your car !!...

Pretty much every time you go to a petrol station there are signs everywhere. 

... you are lying through your teeth, are utterly blind or just outright ignorant if you have not noticed this. 

I've been here since 2000 and I have been to turn the engine off asked (I think) twice.

I think they only put the signs on older cars. 

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

many years ago, A cousin received 3rd degree burns to 60% of his body when an open fuel can sitting next to the exhaust tip of the motorbike he was attempting to start caused it to ignite and explode.

I saw the engine on a hydraulic crane catch fire when some moron gassed it up, spilled some and then started it....

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I've been here since 2000 and I have been to turn the engine off asked (I think) twice.

You mean 'you are the sort of person who places others at risk by not turning off your engine while your vehicle is being refulled ????’...... >>  There...  outrageous virtue-signalling and gaslighting back at you !!!! ????

‘asked’... are you pulling what I now lovingly refer to as a ‘Ralf’ ???  !!!  ????

(if you’re not sure what I mean... see below)...

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think they only put the signs on older cars. 

hahah... you do come up with some silly stuff !!!....    

----------------

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Ahhh moving the goal posts I see... from someone "telling me" to "there is a sign placed on bonnet".

For the uninitiated.... this genius doesn't realise the sign they place on the bonnet at Petrol stations in Thailand means he’s being asked / told to do something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

many years ago, A cousin received 3rd degree burns to 60% of his body when an open fuel can sitting next to the exhaust tip of the motorbike he was attempting to start caused it to ignite and explode.

Yeah, I have a cousin too. And she's still alive.

Empirical evidence here; do not attempt to start an untuned bike with open exhaust that backfires into a jerrycan full of gasoline. You might qualify for the Darwin awards.....

By the way; did you know that they inflate party balloons with bike exhaust in this county? That rubber must be really good quality and heat resistant too....

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Typical response to an absolutely accurate comment of mine.

So where do you leave your phone when you fill up, then, if they are banned?    Phones are not banned from petrol stations, no one will ever be prevented from entering a petrol station with a phone in their vehicle, hand or pocket, just as running engines aren't banned from forecourts, either.

isn't using a mobile phone whilst re-fuelling frowned upon ?

Yes, apparently, but phones are not "banned from petrol stations" as a couple of posters are claiming.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you are suggesting that such policies are wrong and you in fact know better than the energy companies

As no one, so far, has produced anything that conclusively confirms that running engines and mobile phones have caused forecourt explosions, perhaps I am right and the dangers are extremely exaggerated!  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't say that, I am doubting the rationale of the reasons, though.  If anyone has any conclusively proven evidence to the contrary, I'm more than happy to get stuck into my humble pie!

You are doubting the rational because you don’t believe the risks

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I haven't given you any advice!

You advised me to send you a link to verify of any explosions from filling a fuel tank .

Any way Mr Lou , I found a excellent article on the subject in the Washington post titled people that fuel up with engine running debate .

Take a look and get educated.

Have a good night sir

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends if it is a luxury car and/or an important person and/or the tip is high enough.

A bit like disabled parking spaces then?

That or Thailand has the highest proportion of disabled millionaires in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, apparently, but phones are not "banned from petrol stations" as a couple of posters are claiming.

What terminology would you accept....  ‘actively discouraged’ ???

When there are signs up that say ‘No mobile phones’...   do you take that as ‘freedom to go ahead and use your phone’ ?? - of course not..  the property owner does not want you using phones in that specific area... they are banned by the property owner.

You can argue the intricacies, terminology and semantics all you want but the underly sentiment remains.... No Mobile Phone use when refuelling as stated by the property owners. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As no one, so far, has produced anything that conclusively confirms that running engines and mobile phones have caused forecourt explosions, perhaps I am right and the dangers are extremely exaggerated!  

We agree...  the dangers of using a phone while refuelling and leaving your car running while refuelling are exaggerated....   Does that mean there is no risk ?

Does the inconvenience of not using the phone outweigh this potential risk ?

Does the inconvenience of not turning off your engine outweigh this potential risk ?

You see...  when there is even a minute risk that something could happen and the universal measures and precautions which can be taken to avoid this minute risk are completely non-invasive, it makes sense to me to do so. 

Civilised life is full of these ‘non-invasive universal measures and precautions’ that we take to avoid a minute and almost imperceivable risk...   

1 minute ago, itsari said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I haven't given you any advice!

You advised me to send you a link to verify of any explosions from filling a fuel tank .

Any way Mr Lou , I found a excellent article on the subject in the Washington post titled people that fuel up with engine running debate .

Take a look and get educated.

Have a good night sir

I didn't give you any advice but I did suggest that as the one making the claims about explosions you should be the one to prove your assertions.

"I found a excellent article on the subject in the Washington post titled people that fuel up with engine running debate"

A link to an article that doesn't require payment to read it would be much more interesting, particularly if you can find one with conclusive evidence that a running engine has ever caused an explosion.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

We agree...  the dangers of using a phone while refuelling and leaving your car running while refuelling are exaggerated....   Does that mean there is no risk ?

No, it does not, necessarily, mean that there is o risk but, as there are apparently no confirmed incidents of such explosions, I'd say the risk is minimal.  It sure wouldn't stop me from using a phone if I had to or letting the engine run.   My comments are based purely on some posters' assertions that they are likely to cause explosions, nothing deeper than that.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it does not, necessarily, mean that there is o risk but, as there are apparently no confirmed incidents of such explosions, I'd say the risk is minimal.  It sure wouldn't stop me from using a phone if I had to or letting the engine run.   My comments are based purely on some posters' assertions that they are likely to cause explosions, nothing deeper than that.

Which posters have ‘asserted’ that leaving a car running or using a phone while refuelling is ‘likely’ to cause an explosion ???...  

The opposing opinion to yours from other posters (myself included), is that an explosion is a possibility, even minimal... so why take the risk when there is no inconvenience whatsoever not to use the phone or turn off your engine for 5 mins ?....  

Airlines tell us not to buckle up when the plan is refuelling...  the risk is also minimal, so why?..

Would you also argue with the Airlines as well as Industry wide requirements at petrol stations just because a risk is ‘minimal’ ???

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Likely to cause  is your words ,  can cause is more the phrase I have used . 

If you are not interested in following rules in a gas station. Ecause you can't find any examples on the internet god help you and all around you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Which posters have ‘asserted’ that leaving a car running or using a phone while refuelling is ‘likely’ to cause an explosion ???...  

It's fairly obvious to whom I'm referring if you've been following the thread.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... he hasn’t said these actions are ‘likely’ to cause an explosion... 

His words...

"Yes it has been known before .

There was an explosion caused by a mobil phone one time that I have read about when the user received a call while filling up the tank".

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... he hasn’t said these actions are ‘likely’ to cause an explosion... 

His words...

"Yes it has been known before .

There was an explosion caused by a mobil phone one time that I have read about when the user received a call while filling up the tank".

From someone who is usually the biggest stickler on this forum for specifics, details what exactly was written and said, someone who dissects and runs autopsy on comments down the specific meanings, semantics and who often argues from such a perspective it surprises me that you are so off the mark with that response.....  

Those comments do not mean ‘likely’ !!!!... those comments are just what they are, pointing out that there was a media report that indicates an explosion was caused by a mobile phone...  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

pointing out that there was a media report that indicates an explosion was caused by a mobile phone...  

No it does not indicate that.  The only thing that is indicated is that a layman in Lagos or India speculated that was what may have happened with no evidence confirming it whatsoever.