Rule on running engine while refueling

itsari

I was refueling my motorcycle the other day and i noticed that the car a few meters away had the engine running . I mentioned that to the person working the pumps and the only reaction was a shrug of the shoulders and laughter at the same time .

Anyone know the rules here in Thailand ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

There are rules covering virtually every possibility here in LOS....being adhered to is another matter....

Well known Thai proverb - Rules are meant for breaking.

Come to think of it - well known universal proverb - Rules are meant for ignoring!!

• Thumbs Up 1

My Mrs point blank refuses to switch off the engine when the petrol pump attendant is pumping. Fortunately, she doesn't smoke! Must admit I was surprised when a taxi driver told me to exit his vehicle whilst it was being refulled.

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

So the man comes and waits with you down the street?

OK PJ , 

Just now, LennyW said:

Why you need a rule when common sense should prevail.......oh wait.....

Some people need to be directed , but sure I agree , common sense should prevail

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I always turned the car off, as a courtesy to the workers, as if they don't have enough fumes to suck in all day, they didn't need me adding to it.

Actually fire/explosion danger is fairly non existent.  For car anyway.

I agree with your comment on courtesy to the pump attendants.

Refueling while the engine is running is a risk not worth taking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, i doubt very much if any of the Thai people knows that it's advisable to turn off engines and not to be on the phone while refueling, but in Thailand, like in Thailand, when a disaster will happen, and it will one day, they will come out to remind everyone what is a commonsense everywhere else.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Frankly, i doubt very much if any of the Thai people knows that it's advisable to turn off engines and not to be on the phone while refueling, but in Thailand, like in Thailand, when a disaster will happen, and it will one day, they will come out to remind everyone what is a commonsense everywhere else.

I think you are correct in that assumption 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Well known Thai proverb - Rules are meant for breaking.

Come to think of it - well known universal proverb - Rules are meant for ignoring!!

Common sense everywhere is non existent  and only takes one spark and let's not forget many people pay for their fuel by mobiles. 
Oh well!!

• Like 2

Well it does seem to take quite a long time to fill and it's hot. If you roll the windows down, it smells like fuel. 

If the staff asks me to turn it off, I turn it off. I think the fumes from the fuel is more hazardous than the exhaust.  

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Actually very common to leave your engine running in Dubai, Saudi, and elsewhere in the middle east. Never heard of an explosion.

Personally I always turn off for the reasons others have posted but to suggest it is not common anywhere else or it is only because Thais are stupid is not so.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/myth-busting-dangerous-refuel-car-engine-running/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are signs all over every Petrol / Gas station.... they also put a small sign on the bonnet / hood of your car which tells you to...  turn off your car, no smoking, no phone use.... So, I’m not so sure many here in Thailand ‘don’t know the rule’... I suspect that its more common that they just don’t care. 

^ Exactly this.