Will Thailand’s Long Term Resident Visa work for you?

webfact

10 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

seems like the 20 year Elite Visa one time thing is a better deal.  Oh and no health insurance requirement.  Insurance can be quite problematic for older retirees in Thailand

So I should spend 2 million baht on an Elite Visa, and if I stay in the country all the time and never leave I still must do 90 day reports and annualy pay 1900 baht to extend my stay...vs. paying 100k for 20 years, 50k every 10 years, never having to extend every year or do 90 day reports...hmmm i know which ones the no brainer as in life everyone needs health insurance.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So I should spend 2 million baht, and if I stay in the country all the time and never leave I still must do 90 day reports and annualy pay 1900 baht to extend my stay...vs. paying 100k for 20 years, 50k every 10 years, never having to extend every year or do 90 day reports...hmmm i know which ones the no brai er as in life everyone needs health insurance.....

The more things change the more they stay the same.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So I should spend 2 million baht, and if I stay in the country all the time and never leave I still must do 90 day reports and annualy pay 1900 baht to extend my stay...vs. paying 100k for 20 years, 50k every 10 years, never having to extend every year or do 90 day reports...hmmm i know which ones the no brai er as in life everyone needs health insurance.....

I always thought Elite did not require annual extension renewal  and they did your 90 day reports for you? Also it was a multiple entry.

If that is true your comment is false. 

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I always thought Elite did not require annual extension renewal  and they did your 90 day reports for you? Also it was a multiple entry.

If that is true your comment is false. 

If you never leave the country during the year you still need to pay 1900 baht to stay in the country. Only certain areas in Thailand, the bigger Areas like BKK will do the 90 day for you but elsewhere you must do it yourself.....no false info. Best look at it yourself.

1. If staying for a continuous year in Thailand, Thailand Elite members are required to personally report to immigration to get a stay extension. Members will be charged THB 1,900 at the immigration office when applying for this extension. The extension is not required should the member leave Thailand at any point during the 365-day period.

https://www.thai-elite.com/faq.html

Do I have to report to the Immigration Office every 90 day? How does that work?
New Member has to do a 90 days reporting of residence address every 3 months of continuous stay.
The easiest way to fo a 90 days reporting is via immigration website during working hour,  
https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do
As website do only work sometime, via registered post will be the next best option. For more information please visit this page, https://immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

If you live in Bangkok, you may drop your passport at Thailand Elite office and collect once its done on your behalf.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

seems like the 20 year Elite Visa one time thing is a better deal.  Oh and no health insurance requirement.  Insurance can be quite problematic for older retirees in Thailand

I guess you are saying that based on not wanting to pay for or unable to obtain medical insurance for coverage in Thailand. 

Well, a person can self insure with an LTR visa by showing they have at least 100K USD equivalent in a foriegn or Thai bank acct for the last 12 months. So, if a person can self insure they sure could save LOT of money in long term visa costs by going with a LTR visa compared to the very pricey super tourist visa called an Elite visa.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Sadly the Elite Visa is not an option for me, because it's meant to be a form of a tourist visa and working on an Elite visa is illegal. 

Since I own and run a Thai company, the LTR visa/ work permit combination is a better deal.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:57 AM, ThailandRyan said:

If you never leave the country during the year you still need to pay 1900 baht to stay in the country....

...and also physically have to go to Immigration every year! Yes, the Elite hand holders will drive you there, and take you to the front of the line. But I never want to see CM Imm again in my lifetime -- at any point in the line. Heck, for years I paid an agent 3000 baht to drive me to Imm and jump the line; why would I want to pay 2M baht to have Elite Visa drive me to Imm once a year, for 20 years.....?

So, as a non traveler, with an LTR I stay away from Imm offices for 5 years (until I have to revalidate at OSS/BoI). I only have to report once a year my address, and this appears doable by registered mail.

And even if you do travel internationally, LTR has Fast Track, like Elite. Maybe no golf cart for door-to-door -- but that could be more of an annoyance than an Elite Visa "great perk." Same with free golf green fees, which might have been nice when I was younger, but not now. No, not worth it (and the Elite prices are now greater than I'm quoting, right?).

So, it's a complete no brainer to go the LTR route if you're a retiree that rarely/never travels -- and meets the not-too-rigorous financials. Plus, BoI has eased up on the health insurance requirement, if you have a certifiable health insurance plan, like my US military Tricare (and, of course, the self-insuring path is probably an option for most able to meet the other financials).

It's maddening when you do a Google search for LTR vs. Elite visas, and find most hits are totally biased for the Elite Visa....any skids being greased here? And, sure, if you're under 50 and income poor, the Elite may be your option. But for us geezers, the Elite looks like it sucks for what you pay, especially in light of the LTR Wealthy Pensioner option.

Oh, the intial startup hiccups appear to have been eliminated, as all the online application procedure went smoothly for me, and I got my approval in 15 days (June 2023). Yeah, a couple weeks later I required a trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to get the LTR stamp at BoI OSS. But, treated myself to a five star stay, so it turned out fun. Plus, all interfaces were smooth and quite professional. No, if you qualify for an LTR visa, the Elite Visa is NOT a viable option.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 2

I think that is where some of the bias on Elite comes from - not being able to qualify for LTRt & needing self-assurance, whatever. Why can't people just be happy without dissing on others ... sigh.

I hear LTR fast track is only at Thai International so far? Curious to know also any LTR pensioners out there tested getting jobs or volunteer work & applied for the digital work visa. Thx