Bali plans tourist motorbike ban over misbehaviour

Social Media

Indonesian island Bali is planning to ban foreign tourists from using motorbikes after a spate of cases involving people breaking traffic laws.

"You [should] not roam about the island using motorbikes, without wearing shirts or clothes, no helmet, and even without a licence," Governor I Wayan Koster said.

Tourists will instead get around on vehicles provided by travel agents.

The plan has been divisive as tourism continues to recover from Covid losses.

More than 171 foreign nationals have violated traffic orders from late February to early March, according to local police records. Some tourists also use fake licence plates.

"If you are a tourist, then act like a tourist," said the governor.

Foreign tourists in Bali often prefer renting motorbikes to get around the island, which does not have a well-developed public transport system. The two-wheelers make for a good option for weaving in and out of traffic, as well as travelling through scenic back alleys.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Social Media said:

Some tourists also use fake licence plates.

"If you are a tourist, then act like a tourist," said the governor

Eh I have a feeling it wasn't the tourists who put fake license plates on the bikes they rented... they were probably not even aware. I'm always amazed at the xenophobic attitude and complete lack of common sense from local government of tourist places.

• Sad 1

Let's hope Thailand doesn't get any ideas, because knowing them they'd be too lazy to think about the law in any detail (same as they did with cannabis) and just ban all foreigners, instead of only tourists.

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Let's hope Thailand doesn't get any ideas, because knowing them they'd be too lazy to think about the law in any detail (same as they did with cannabis) and just ban all foreigners, instead of only tourists.

When I first came to work in Thailand foreigners were not permitted a Thai driver’s license or to own cars without individual sponsorship from a Government ministry, I got mine from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Back then if you saw a foreigner driving they were either Embassy staff, UN personnel or worked for one of a handful of MNCs. 

A foreigner driving a car back then was a rare sight and  received next level courtesy and very rarely anything but a salute from traffic cops.

Things change and they have done.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

16 hours ago, Social Media said:

"If you are a tourist, then act like a tourist," 

Yes, just give your money to the taxi mafia. Get in line for the daily tour bus. Eat where they take you because they get kickbacks. Buy souvenirs where they take you...

Frankly, if they implement this Bali is off my list of travel destinations.