Biden says anti-trans laws are 'close to sinful'

Social Media

US President Joe Biden has described changes to gender laws and treatment in Florida as "close to sinful" and said Republicans' efforts to block transgender rights are "cruel".

In an interview with The Daily Show, he said federal laws should be passed to ban states from curbing trans rights.

It comes amid an uptick in anti-trans bills being debated in Republican-controlled US states.

Supporters say new laws are needed to protect children and help parents.

"What's going on in Florida is, as my mother would say, close to sinful. It is just terrible what they are doing," Mr Biden said in a clip released ahead of the programme's broadcast on Monday.

"It's not like a kid wakes up one morning and says, 'You know, I decided I want to become a man or I want to become a woman or I want to change'.

"I mean, what are they thinking about here? They are human beings. They love. They have feelings. They have inclinations that are… it just to me, is, I don't know is, it's cruel."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Denying transgender rights are akin to denying them human rights. Spelt out in The Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 1 & 2. It is not only sinful, it is a human rights violations. 

An enormous amount of bills being pushed through, in 2023 up till just 19th Jan. Already introduced 124 total bills restricting LGBTQ people.

What that number is now? A lot more that is for sure.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

What rights are they being denied?  As far as I can make out they are not allowing kids to make permanent life altering changes to their bodies until they are an adult, in much the same way as kids cannot get tattooed until they are 18.   

Other than that, what rights are they missing that other humans have?  

Luckily for you the post right below you answers your question and points out the fallacy of your hand-wringing. 

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/over-120-bills-restricting-lgbtq-rights-introduced-nationwide-2023-so-far

You may be happy to deny the rights of other people dependent on your life view, but most (happily) are not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

An enormous amount of bills being pushed through, in 2023 up till just 19th Jan. Already introduced 124 total bills restricting LGBTQ people.

Up date on that, its actually 409 bills now:

The ACLU is tracking 409 anti-LGBTQ bills in the U.S.

https://www.aclu.org/legislative-attacks-on-lgbtq-rights

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

Okay well there are over a hundred there so lets pick one at random.  The birth certificate.  This is an accurate record of someones birth that (presumably trans) want to change to become a lie.   Non trans people do not have the right to change their birth certificates and I am not allowed to change my date of birth to what I identify as (10 years younger) as that would be changing a fact into a lie.   This is understandable but presumably trans people have the ability to legally change their names just like everyone else does if they wish to be known by a different name?   

These are not "anti-trans" bills.  They just affirm the same rights everyone else has.   Which right do trans people specifically not have that other humans have?     

Are trans people demanding to change their date of birth on a driving licence?  I agree that seems ridiculous.  I will leave you to report back on the rest if you actually find anything of note.

Edited by Slip
article

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

One of the bills is that people with a penis cannot go into a public toilet which is reserved for people with vaginas .

Penises in one public toilet, vaginas in a different public toilet .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

One of the bills is that people with a penis cannot go into a public toilet which is reserved for people with vaginas .

ok and the 408 others? Or are you just singling that one out................

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What about these?

Republican officials have introduced a record number of anti-LGBTQI+ bills in statehouses across the nation. Bills that would rip transgender children from their parents or attack protections for same-sex couples. To every LGBTQI+ American: I have your back against this hatred.

Ha ha , I will go over to Twitter and reply to Joes tweet there 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

This one comes under the category of safeguarding kids from having their bodies permanently altered before they are mature enough to make a decision.   Some parents are simply homophobic and would prefer a "daughter" rather than a gay son.   

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/02/tavistock-trust-whistleblower-david-bell-transgender-children-gids

You could start an OP on that considering its from the UK and a 2018 controversial report about the activities of the gender identity development. service in a clinic. Happy to hear your opinions on the post I made though.

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are  you referring to your post where you just reposted Joe Bidens tweet and didn't offer your own opinion ?

Yes why? I posted it so I endorsed Biden's opinion. What more needs to be said on that. The books issue has its own topic already.

9 minutes ago, asf6 said:

Close to sinful?   ????

Can Mr Biden point to us where in a holy book it is stated that changes to laws in Florida are sinful?

Thanks for proving to us that you don't understand the meaning of the word "almost".

But even if Biden hadn't said "almost" re you seriously claiming that a state law can only be judged sinful if it violates a specific Biblical precept? Like allowing stores to open on the Sabbath?

17 minutes ago, asf6 said:

I know the meaning of "almost", as I'm sure Mr Biden does. But if those law changes are "almost" sinful, there must be a point where it actually becomes sinful, in which case Mr Biden should be able to show us where in his holy book it is stated as such. But of course, he won't and he can't. But I'll wait patiently. 

As to the meaning of sinful, surely it is rooted in religion. Sin, sinner, sinful.

If Biden just meant bad or terrible, he could have chosen those words instead of the religiously loaded "sinful".

I'm assuming that somewhere in the Bible cruelty is condemned as sin.. If a law is cruel, can it not be condemned as sinful?

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Makes sense.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

I'm assuming that somewhere in the Bible cruelty is condemned as sin.. If a law is cruel, can it not be condemned as sinful?

This seems splitting hairs to me.

Biden tends to use qualifiers for such things for political reasons.

Like semi-fascist instead of fascist.

Such things are best not taken too literally.