Russian fighter jet forces down US drone over Black Sea after intercept

Scott

8 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

The fighter jet collided with the drone and also crashed into Black sea , Hope the pilot ejected  , crazy Ruskies not very professional

Hope the pilot didn't get to eject and died.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, VBer said:

Speaking about provoking, what’s US military drone been doing near Russia’s border, in other side of Earth from US?

I always believed that Thailand and vicinity was on the other side of the earth from the USA. Or, rather, on the opposite side of the northern hemisphere.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tgw said:

if that's the harshest adjectives the US could come up with ...

I’m thinking the response was an attempt at de escalation belive me the USA could come up with very harsh responses indeed just not worth it for a drone obviously the Russians messed up imo it was in international airspace also some of those drones can defend themselves watch out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

How about not coming close but actually violating the air space of other countries. 

This is answer to some another question, not mine. I will repeat it again: So, it will be completely normal if Russia’s warplanes and drones will be flying near European and US borders, just in “international air space”?

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, VBer said:

This is answer to some another question, not mine. I will repeat it again: So, it will be completely normal if Russia’s warplanes and drones will be flying near European and US borders, just in “international air space”?

3 NATO countries are on the Black Sea, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Romania along with Ukraine, Russia & Georgia. What makes you think the drone was near Russian borders?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Perhaps to see if it'd work. A practical test on their part. Why test or practice on your own Iranian drone when the USA provides such an opportunity. 

I half expect the Russians got a special made drone they WANT the USA to try the same maneuver on.

Nothing new here, the worlds navies are always messing with each other in such ways.

You don't conduct testing on an enemy vehicle in neutral air space during high tension risking escalation to full war. Doubly so when the other party has a vastly more powerful army. That would be beyond stupid in terms of a risk-reward trade-off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VBer said:

Speaking about provoking, what’s US military drone been doing near Russia’s border, in other side of Earth from US?

They are flying in international air space in collaboration with their NATO partners which by the way have a lot more border with that area than Russia has. Do you think the drone flew all the way from the US there? NATO has a war in front of their door step. Flying a surveilance drone in the vicinity shouldn't surprise anyone.

6 hours ago, VBer said:

So, it will be completely normal if Russia’s warplanes and drones will be flying near European and US borders, just in “international air space”?

In fact they do regularily that. Here one such incident where Russia flew bombers in international air space near Alaska: https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-intercepts-russian-bombers-off-alaska-2-straight/story?id=97260923

How did the US react? They said it was no provocation and that it is not a rare occurance. They did not even think of downing them. And as placeholder wrote Russia even had repeated incidents where they crossed into foreign air space.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You don't conduct testing on an enemy vehicle in neutral air space during high tension risking escalation to full war. Doubly so when the other party has a vastly more powerful army. That would be beyond stupid in terms of a risk-reward trade-off.

And yet the Russians seemed to have.

2 hours ago, VBer said:

First of all, can you define what you mean by "near." 5 kilometers? 10 kilometers? 50 kilometers? 100 kilometers?  So, you got a number you want to share with us?

Second, the thing about actually crossing into some other nation's air space is that it's really not difficult to define, is it? That's an absolutely clear borderline. And one which is far more concerning. Whether it's "normal" or not.

2 hours ago, VBer said:

So, it will be completely normal if Russia’s warplanes and drones will be flying near European and US borders, just in “international air space”?

Are you just trolling or do you genuinely not know that has been a regular occurrence since the end of WWII?

"RAF fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian planes near UK 136 times in 17 years"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/raf-ukraine-russia-war-b2006812.html

Or how about a recent example (published 5 hours ago):

"RAF and German jets intercept Russian aircraft near Estonian airspace"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64960706

There have been some "fun" interceptions over the years when the situation was calmer, such as American fighter pilots holding up copies of  Playboy for the Russian crew to see or "offering" them a can of Coke.

It's nothing new, the difference being a "mistake" in the current climate could easily kick off a major conflict. Now is not the time for cowboy pilots pulling stupid stunts.

A range of pictures from over the years:

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/intercepting-the-bear/

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, VBer said:

They seem to think so.

russia constantly probes the airspace over Alaska and northern Canada with long range bombers and there's also the Naval version, russian fishing trawlers anyone?

• Like 1