Nationwide Banking App

Has anyone been able to download the Nationwides UK Phone banking app in Thailand. Currently using debit cards to access bank? Want more options as cards run out of date and perhaps get lost in mail.

Also living in Bang Saray I get mail delivered from UK which is sometimes 5 months old or appears to be due to the date on the letter. Anyone else having these problems?

RE; Nationwide cards  to Thailand..

A  few years ago  my U.K based  Son registered mail  my Nationwide card  to my Pattaya address,    after  waiting Two  months  for its delivery  I complained to Thai post  who initially did'nt reply.. i ended up cancelling the card with Nationwide ......  4 months after posting   the envelope containing  my card was delivered    in a very ripped  envelope with a sticker saying this is how  it was received in Thailand !!!........What is worrying is since then I  have had many Registered mail envelopes delivered,  and not once have  I been asked to sign for it...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, proton said:

Use VPN set to UK

Hopefully that's the solution BUT keep in mind that they may also require 2FA or OTP authorizations during this installation for which a UK SIM with roaming turned on may also be needed.

13 minutes ago, actonion said:

RE; Nationwide cards  to Thailand..

A  few years ago  my U.K based  Son registered mail  my Nationwide card  to my Pattaya address,    after  waiting Two  months  for its delivery  I complained to Thai post  who initially did'nt reply.. i ended up cancelling the card with Nationwide ......  4 months after posting   the envelope containing  my card was delivered    in a very ripped  envelope with a sticker saying this is how  it was received in Thailand !!!........What is worrying is since then I  have had many Registered mail envelopes delivered,  and not once have  I been asked to sign for it...

Since around 2008, I have variously used DHL and UK Royal Mail international tracked and signed up to 4 times a year. I haven't had anything go missing or damaged. The only issue I had was when my dad decided to throw a freebie pocket diary in the document shipper which wasn't covered by the "Correspondence, no commercial value" declaration. Thai Customs stung me 800 baht for the oversight. No biggie.

• Like 2

Do you have a Thai bank account?

I have the Nationwide app on my Thai phone.

I certainly wouldn't use cards for getting cash - if I had the Thai bank alternative. I move money over to Kasikorn via WISE.

I have not had an issue with post in Bang Saray - although I only have a couple of items per year. Local post, via the excellent Ban Amphur post office is good. I suspect that any delays are not due to local factors - more likely sitting in an international sorting office between London and Bangkok (my money is on the latter). 

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Has anyone been able to download the Nationwides UK Phone banking app in Thailand.

It may be geolocked and therefore not accessible using a Thailand based account.  You can create another account based in the UK, login and download, or else download from somewhere other than the Play Store.  I found this location - it's an older version but updates will process regardless of the geolock.

https://apklust.com/en/nationwide-banking-app-down-apk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

It may be geolocked and therefore not accessible using a Thailand based account.

Yeah, I think you're right. I can download it just fine using my UK Google Play Store.

• Like 1

Seeing as you are looking for more options, you could try using Wise. presuming you have a Thai bank account.

If you have internet banking, you may be able to transfer to Wise in the UK, then let them send the money to your bank account here.

• Like 1

I have no problem downloading, upgrading and using the Nationwide app on my Thai phone, or on my PCs, without VPN.

Just had to replace a lost N'wide card. Sent to my bros house who scanned front & back and sent to me. Only need the actual card when using in ATM or purchase, which is silly.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have no problem downloading, upgrading and using the Nationwide app on my Thai phone, or on my PCs, without VPN.

Just had to replace a lost N'wide card. Sent to my bros house who scanned front & back and sent to me. Only need the actual card when using in ATM or purchase, which is silly.

I have no problem with internet banking. Just the phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Seeing as you are looking for more options, you could try using Wise. presuming you have a Thai bank account.

If you have internet banking, you may be able to transfer to Wise in the UK, then let them send the money to your bank account here.

This is what I use to transfer my cash from the UK. Need cards for card reader or phone app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treetops said:

It may be geolocked and therefore not accessible using a Thailand based account.  You can create another account based in the UK, login and download, or else download from somewhere other than the Play Store.  I found this location - it's an older version but updates will process regardless of the geolock.

https://apklust.com/en/nationwide-banking-app-down-apk

I will give it a go thanks.

• Sad 1

The mail issue started (when I first noticed) was when my private pension people offered a cash option which was very good but the cut off date had expired and when I went on the net to look at the funds there was almost 10,000 pounds less. Ouch! Just received a letter from HMRC dated October  and another from a pension provider not dated but indicates from last year.

Slightly related anecdote: - A couple of years back I received a snail-mail from my UK (IoM) bank to my Thai address.

The wording was something like this: -

"We are sending this letter to confirm that your postal address is still current.

If this is your current address you need do nothing. If we do not hear from you by xxxx (date already passed of course) we will assume that your address is current."

OK, so if I don't respond to the received letter, they keep my address.

BUT

If I don't receive the letter because I'm not at that address any longer, they still keep my address.

Someone didn't quite think that one through ???? 

4 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Tried that no success , maybe have to get another (better) VPN>

I found it did not appear in the list but using shark set to UK it did and downloaded, that was some time ago though

On 3/15/2023 at 11:01 AM, hotandsticky said:

Do you have a Thai bank account?

I have the Nationwide app on my Thai phone.

I certainly wouldn't use cards for getting cash - if I had the Thai bank alternative. I move money over to Kasikorn via WISE.

I have not had an issue with post in Bang Saray - although I only have a couple of items per year. Local post, via the excellent Ban Amphur post office is good. I suspect that any delays are not due to local factors - more likely sitting in an international sorting office between London and Bangkok (my money is on the latter). 

Certainly a couple of years ago international mail from the UK was routed via Amsterdam (Schiphol) and Sri Lanka. I understand that Sri Lanka was a major source of delays.

I also a couple of years ago, for some reason, had to reload the Nationwide Phone App onto my phone, having used it quite successfully for several years prior to accidentally uninstalling it. It insisted I used a UK SIM.

The Nationwide help line was, as ever, about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

I only use my laptop and As I also have problems with Thai Post lazy workers to idle to drive an extra 175mt to my house, my card reader had stopped working and I had ordered a new one twice, that never arrived, after contacting Nationwide, I was told they are auto generated and not sent via registered mail even, so I changed my Thai address ( after having to borrow a card reader to log in) to a family member, who then sent me the new reader, recorded delivery to an address here, of a friend that always receives mail. FINFO New cards are sent one month before expiry. and for those whom may not know any UK bank card reader will work. Apps not for me I always get locked out and get scam calls. :coffee1:

On 3/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, LittleBear57 said:

Tried that no success , maybe have to get another (better) VPN>

You DO NOT need a VPN to access Nationwide, or in my experience, any UK banking sites from Thailand.

20 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It insisted I used a UK SIM.

The Nationwide help line was, as ever, about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

You DO NOT need a SIM in your phone to install any App, merely Internet access.

Nationwide Helpline has been 100% successful for me, with courteous and good advice.

I do not smoke or have a motorcycle! 555

On 3/16/2023 at 8:01 AM, KannikaP said:

When did you first download and INSTALL it on your Thai phone?

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Several years ago, but have updated it a few times since then.

It's not unlikely that banking app security may have changed over 'several years'. Thus for the INITIAL installation and ACTIVATION, there may be issues like the app NOT being available in the Play Store when accessed via a Thai IP address. That is evidence of it being geolocked.

My NW banking app was also installed several years ago while I was in the UK and that did need a SIM swap to a UK number for activation. I upgraded to a new phone, again last year while in the UK and all apps, including six banking apps were automatically migrated by Google and installed on the new phone. These all update without issue and are still accessible via a Thai IP address. However, I was unwilling to fall foul of any new rules or security protocols regarding activation of these apps so retain the old phone solely as the 'banking phone'.

A workaround for the OP to download and install it may be setting a UK VPN on his PC or laptop, logging into his Google account, finding the NW banking app in the Play Store and selecting which device it should be installed on if his phone shows in the menu of available devices. Then Google will do an OTA installation. The app will still need activation for which the UK SIM may be needed as most banks use short-code SMS for authentication.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You DO NOT need a SIM in your phone to install any App, merely Internet access.

Nationwide Helpline has been 100% successful for me, with courteous and good advice.

I do not smoke or have a motorcycle! 555

I recall you need to have a Thai SIM in your phone to ACTIVATE the Bangkok Bank Bualuang app. Like all banking apps, it's a secure app, not just for browsing the news, listening to podcasts or getting the latest weather. That's why all banks make sure they have the correct mobile number linked to your account. Once it's activated, then yes, these apps will work anywhere in the world where there's internet.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:20 AM, NanLaew said:

A workaround for the OP to download and install it may be setting a UK VPN on his PC or laptop, logging into his Google account, finding the NW banking app in the Play Store and selecting which device it should be installed on if his phone shows in the menu of available devices. Then Google will do an OTA installation.

Geolocking is nothing to do with IP address but the home country of your Google Account as mentioned upthread, so a VPN will have no effect on its accessibility

On 3/16/2023 at 8:01 AM, KannikaP said:

Or card reader which is what I use the cards for. Internet banking. The alternative is the phone app.

• Like 1