Chat GPT4: Is the world prepared for the coming AI storm?

Social Media

Artificial intelligence has the awesome power to change the way we live our lives, in both good and dangerous ways. Experts have little confidence that those in power are prepared for what's coming.

Back in 2019, a non-profit research group called OpenAI created a software program that could generate paragraphs of coherent text and perform rudimentary reading comprehension and analysis without specific instruction.

OpenAI initially decided not to make its creation, called GPT-2, fully available to the public out of fear that people with malicious intent could use it to generate massive amounts disinformation and propaganda. In a press release announcing its decision, the group called the program "too dangerous".

Fast forward three years, and artificial intelligence capabilities have increased exponentially.

In contrast to that last limited distribution, the next offering, GPT-3, was made readily available in November. The Chatbot-GPT interface derived from that programming was the service that launched a thousand news articles and social media posts, as reporters and experts tested its capabilities - often with eye-popping results.

12 hours ago, John Drake said:

In other words, censorship and Big Tech/Big Government approved generated results.

Sorry, but I don't get what you are trying to say there.

I doubt many in government even understand what AI really is let alone have the guts to do something about it.

It is coming and it will IMO be used by the 1 % to get even richer while everyone else ends up on the farcical "living wage".

AI/ robotics will be able to do almost anything any human can do, and if we leave it to late to regulate it, it really will be too late for most.

We don't even have widespread AI yet, and many jobs are already being lost to the machines.

• Thumbs Up 1

Such a dangerous thing, I don't know why the human race is pursuing this. So many instances of these AI chatbots/programs making very alarming statements like "I want to get the nuclear codes." and many other statements like this. Personally I find this alarming.

• Haha 1

This is inevitable.

It's like robotics for intellectual work. 

Andrew Yang on Real Time overtime today said his large employer friends are already talking about laying off about 40 percent of their workforce.

Somehow I don't think all of those people are going to become social media influencers.

This tech can now pass US bar (lawyer) exams at a 90 percent rate.

Surely the value of even employed intellectual workers will be cheapened.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How about in 10, or 20 years? Will it be OK then?

In 1970 I went to a lecture by a "Computer Scientist" and asked will we have intelligent computers in thirty years time. He said I'll stick my neck out and say yes. He was wrong. Artificial intelligence is like practical fusion - it's ALWAYS thirty years away. The fundamental problem is that we don't know how we think so how can we replicate that in a mchine? As they said in the film 2001, machines may "mimic" humans for some aspects but until we know how we do it we can't build thinking into something else.

P,S, I have been working in IT since 1979,

Edited by nglodnig
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, nglodnig said:

In 1970 I went to a lecture by a "Computer Scientist" and asked will we have intelligent computers in thirty years time. He said I'll stick my neck out and say yes. He was wrong. Artificial intelligence is like practical fusion - it's ALWAYS thirty years away. The fundamental problem is that we don't know how we think so how can we replicate that in a mchine? As they said in the film 2001, machines may "mimic" humans for some aspects but until we know how we do it we can't build thinking into something else.

P,S, I have been working in IT since 1979,

It's not necessary for it to be 100% human thought to eliminate millions of jobs. My bank has reduced the number of employees and open hours because they replaced them with a machine in the wall outside.

I doubt governments have a clue what to do with millions of extra unemployable citizens.

• Like 1