UK Passport Office workers to strike

OJAS

On 3/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

You can use the old passport right up until you receive the new passport . The old passport gets invalidated when you receive the new one 

You are wrong. The old passport becomes invalid for international travel as soon as the passport office register the application for renewal.

Once an application is registered the existing passport can only be used for identification.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong. The old passport becomes invalid for international travel as soon as the passport office register the application for renewal.

Once an application is registered the existing passport can only be used for identification.

It doesn't .

If your passport became invalid when you applied for a new passport , you would be in Thailand illegally .

Passports become invalid when the corner is cut off and they cut the corner off when you receive the new passport.

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If your passport became invalid when you applied for a new passport , you would be in Thailand illegally .

Again you are wrong. A passport remains a form of identification, you can travel with some airlines on an expired passport.

Of course you are perfectly free try and cross an international border with a passport undergoing renewal.

I however would follow the information from the British Embassy and get an ETD.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Again you are wrong. A passport remains a form of identification, you can travel with some airlines on an expired passport.

Of course you are perfectly free try and cross an international border with a passport undergoing renewal.

I however would follow the information from the British Embassy and get an ETD.

Yes, I crossed over to Laos and back whilst my new passport application was in process .

Do you really think that the U.K passport office sends the details of everyone who applies for a new passport to all  immigration offices in the World to cancel the "old" passport?

Like, every border crossing in the World receives the details of all British people making new passport applications on a daily basis  ?

Cutting the corner off a passport invalidates it 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I crossed over to Laos and back whilst my new passport application was in process .

Again you were wrong, getting away with something doesn't make it right.

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Again you were wrong, getting away with something doesn't make it right.

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Whilst I do not dispute what you state, however internal guidance instructs the cancelling of passport only when another passport has been authorized and is entered on the internal MI database. ( There are some caveats as in the case of  death etc. But not one for application submission).

For the purposes of id normally any expired or cancelled documents would not be accepted as valid id.

My daughters Uk passport expires in October. I was planning to take her to Uk this summer for holidays at end of June until August. Has anyone flown to UK on Uk passport with less than 6 months validity?  She has a Thai passport as well (recently renewed) so would return to Thailand on this passport and obviously into Uk on her British passport. 
Uk gov website advises that passports must only be valid for duration of stay though I’d be a bit concerned how the individual airlines will see it. With this impending strike action, Im unsure to apply for passport renewal or do the holiday on her current passport. Thanks ???????? 

9 hours ago, Richard3456 said:

My daughters Uk passport expires in October. I was planning to take her to Uk this summer for holidays at end of June until August. Has anyone flown to UK on Uk passport with less than 6 months validity?

Entering the UK on a UK passport has no validity restrictions - it could even be expired and she'd still get in.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, cleopatra2 said:

Whilst I do not dispute what you state, however internal guidance instructs the cancelling of passport only when another passport has been authorized and is entered on the internal MI database. ( There are some caveats as in the case of  death etc. But not one for application submission).

For the purposes of id normally any expired or cancelled documents would not be accepted as valid id.

The statement was from the UK government but you are perfectly free to dispute what they say.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:02 AM, treetops said:

Entering the UK on a UK passport has no validity restrictions - it could even be expired and she'd still get in.

You would only get away with that on a direct flight, otherwise would be denied boarding.