Difference blood sugar measurement (device vs blood test)

MJCM

My wife has Diabetes 2.

Yesterday morning we tested her blood with a home check device and it showed 86, but after that she had a blood test done in a Lab, and it showed 117 (with the normal range being (as explained in the results) of 70-110 thus it showed HIGH)

So what is the difference in testing in those methods? 

thx

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe only the time when you tested it. It varies constantly.

And it varies even more if you eat or drink anything. 

Both were done when sober (read ate and drunk nothing at least 8 hrs before hand)

machine (home) reading was at 8:00am, blood test done was at around 9am. 

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

Both were done when sober (read ate and drunk nothing at least 8 hrs before hand)

As above. Likely stress related. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx. So keep testing with the home device? 

Not necessary if HB1Ac is in normal range. But you can if you want to. There is no reason to think anything wrong with the machine.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not necessary if HB1Ac is in normal range. But you can if you want to. There is no reason to think anything wrong with the machine.

I have no idea what method they used to check, it was the lifecare lab in Pattaya

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I have no idea what method they used to check, it was the lifecare lab in Pattaya

Sorry I do not understand this reply.

What I said was, there is no need to check blood sugar at home if HB1Ac is normal.

But if you want to check it at home , the fact that lab gave a different reading an hour later is no reason to distrust your home device.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry I do not understand this reply.

What I said was, there is no need to check blood sugar at home if HB1Ac is normal.

But if you want to check it at home , the fact that lab gave a different reading an hour later is no reason to distrust your home device.

My reply was intended for the next time we get our blood tested. It is a standard package (#4) there thus will ask how they test it. 

sorry if I wasn’t clear ????????

Some meters do need to have a control test done with the solution which came with the test strips when you start a new box of test strips.  I know my One Touch Verio does and I am able to order the strips for it here in country. My meter generally is off about 7 to 10 points on the mornings I do my blood test at the clinic.  It gives me a good re-assurance that my numbers for BS are not out of whack and the meter is faulty, which can occur over time.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, MJCM said:

My reply was intended for the next time we get our blood tested. It is a standard package (#4) there thus will ask how they test it. 

sorry if I wasn’t clear ????????

Nothing to ask if it a FBS but as explained FBS is not as helpful as HB1Ac, which is a separate and different test - but which if concerned about blood sugar is what you should request.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 2:42 PM, MJCM said:

Take the machine with you to the clinic and test samples at the same time. This way you will know what any offset between your machine and the lab is. If you wish to use the Lab as your master device.

Then when you test at home you can correct to equal the Lab device by adding or subtracting the offset.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1