Taxi driver banned from picking up passengers

webfact

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And he probably thinks, and maybe argues: So many others do this. I learned it from them. Why me? When I do just the same as everybody else.

Absolutely !!!....     When behaviour to rip off tourists is the norm a sense of entitlement that they can get away with it creeps in.... 

When the government practices ’state sanctioned dual pricing’ against foreigners the message is sent out to every Thai business and operator that foreigners are fair game... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Menken said:

The problem with this joker is obviously that he hid the tariff card and didn't use the meter.

He didn't hide the "tariff card" (there's a photo of it taken by the passenger), the problem is that there is no "tariff card", there's a meter!

taxi-2.jpg

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:
7 hours ago, Artisi said:

did you suggest returning to the airport to sort out the problem ????

It wasn't me, it was reported on a news service.

The way that you wrote it  ("I can recall" and all the specifics) could only be interpreted as your reporting your own experience...

"Best I can recall was the taxi driver who could speak some English, half way swampy to the city said 'please show me the taxi card you received at the airport, see, it says 50Baht for airport taxi service, it's a printing error, it's actually 500Baht'."

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The way that you wrote it  ("I can recall" and all the specifics) could only be interpreted as your reporting your own experience...

"Best I can recall was the taxi driver who could speak some English, half way swampy to the city said 'please show me the taxi card you received at the airport, see, it says 50Baht for airport taxi service, it's a printing error, it's actually 500Baht'."

Sorry to have caused confusion. I was recalling a story which appeared on a Thai news site or web board or similar. A long time ago, I can't remember the name of the site. 

Edited by scorecard

Such a simple solution.  At the end of the airport taxi numbered waiting area post a cop that checks if all the taxi meters are on.  If not on instant life ban no second chances.   

I said it before that many of you posters have helped perpetuate this taxi problem by not causing a stir when taxis refuse fares or don't use the meter.  I always get replies from people who have thicker wallet than brains that it is such a good deal compared to where they come from.   Even my Thai wife gets rejected so much that she always let's the cabbie roll his window down to get his approval before thinking about opening the door.  

To my USA thinking it should be taxi is waved down, you open door, get in and tell him where to go and meter on and he does his job.   But I swear the pickup rate for me and us has been about 20% during my 12 trips and 8 months in Thailand.   I also caught one taxi with a toggle switch wire going to the meter. This was about 6 years ago so no risk from officials at that time.  I just paid him what I thought fair and gave him a dirty look.  But my opinion of taxi drivers and enforcement of the rules is lower than dirt.   A taxi driver should be allowed to make 2-3 times a factory worker but that's it.   

Edited by Elkski

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sorry to have caused confusion. I was recalling a story which appeared on a Thai news site or web board or similar. A long time ago, I can't remember the name of the site. 

It's ok, there's so much hearsay posted here that yours won't make any difference!

9 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Such a simple solution.  At the end of the taxi numbered waiting area post a cop that checks if all the taxi meters are on.

Not so simple, there's tens of taxis there, they don't leave one at a time and the meters cannot be on until the taxi is about to move off.  Who gets into a taxi with a meter that's already running and showing flag fall and waiting time?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

The inspector is at the end of the line after drivers begin their journey they have to do a touch and go so he can see the meter light is on.  They so have lights for a reason. If this slows down the line to much add a light on the front of the cab that must be visible.   

I have had a high % of taxi drivers who did a good job. But still not many use Google maps to avoid traffic but just go the old tried method.  I know they are just adding to the fare sometimes.  I also had a early morning race car driver who I swear was shifting gears and keeping the engine redlined going down Suk.  It was scary and luckily I was sitting in the left as one time as this guy maxing out the taxis engine like it wasn't his went to pass a truck in the left and I he headed my warning yell as there was a parked car only I could see.   Would have been dead as I swear we were doing 80-kph on suk.   It also showed  lack of police enforcement as he had no fear of a reckless driving ticket or losing his license. 

Edited by Elkski

On 3/20/2023 at 8:51 PM, Elkski said:

Such a simple solution.  At the end of the airport taxi numbered waiting area post a cop that checks if all the taxi meters are on.  If not on instant life ban no second chances.   

I said it before that many of you posters have helped perpetuate this taxi problem by not causing a stir when taxis refuse fares or don't use the meter.  I always get replies from people who have thicker wallet than brains that it is such a good deal compared to where they come from.   Even my Thai wife gets rejected so much that she always let's the cabbie roll his window down to get his approval before thinking about opening the door.  

To my USA thinking it should be taxi is waved down, you open door, get in and tell him where to go and meter on and he does his job.   But I swear the pickup rate for me and us has been about 20% during my 12 trips and 8 months in Thailand.   I also caught one taxi with a toggle switch wire going to the meter. This was about 6 years ago so no risk from officials at that time.  I just paid him what I thought fair and gave him a dirty look.  But my opinion of taxi drivers and enforcement of the rules is lower than dirt.   A taxi driver should be allowed to make 2-3 times a factory worker but that's it.   

Agree If I hire a taxi here in OZ it has a rate to pick you up and every taxi use a meter 

On 3/20/2023 at 7:51 PM, Elkski said:

I never get a taxi that rolls down their window, and if they do I just wave them away, always let the taxi park then open the back door, if the taxi tries the other trick, by parking before you by a little distance, which is done on purpose to control you, then chances are it be similar to the winding down the window taxi driver, other tricks are slowly driving past honking their horn, and parking in front, to catch your eye, this is just the same as perverts, creeping around streets, curb crawling looking to pick up whores

just some ways to reduce the drama with less of the low IQ sales tricks, which as a society have got far worse with this regime in power

10 hours ago, humbug said:

I never get a taxi that rolls down their window, and if they do I just wave them away, always let the taxi park then open the back door,

Same...  When I’m waiting for a taxi... any time one pulls up and winds the window down I just ignore them or say no and wave my hand... I just can’t be bothered entering what is going to be an utterly predictable conversation where they either say no... or ask for an elevated flat fare. 

Personally, I don’t mind the guys who roll their windows down - its a very quickly way of filtering the guys who aren’t operating with honest. 

A few years ago, in a very typically juvinile manner which attempted to address the problem without addressing the problem at all...  there were ’some’ taxi’s with a green light... These were supposed to be the ‘honest taxis’... the ones who could not refuse a fair or not use the meter.... but now the ’Thainess’ has surfaced in those guys too...  and they’re just as bad (in busy and tourist areas). 

On 3/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

People who use the airport can call 1584 if see any taxi driver at the airport refusing to use a meter.

Very funny. I called 1584 once and they told me to call the tourist police number. I did, and they told me to call 1584.

Was the meter still running while you went around in circles?

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
On 3/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

People who use the airport can call 1584 if see any taxi driver at the airport refusing to use a meter.

Very funny. I called 1584 once and they told me to call the tourist police number. I did, and they told me to call 1584.

Was the meter still running while you went around in circles?

It was. We'd agreed he should use the meter after he initially refused to do so, but he drove in circles to make the fare what he had originally quoted. While he was doing that I made the pointless call. Then I gave up and when we got off the expressway I got out and found another taxi.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It was. We'd agreed he should use the meter after he initially refused to do so, but he drove in circles to make the fare what he had originally quoted. While he was doing that I made the pointless call. Then I gave up and when we got off the expressway I got out and found another taxi.

Back before there was a BTS, I wanted to go from where I was staying to downtown Bangkok faster than the 2 hour bus ride would get me there.   Taxi got up on the expressway and not far from the exit I wanted the taxi was stopped in a traffic jam.   

After sitting for about 20 minutes I told the taxi driver I was getting out.   He told me if I got out and walked on the expressway, the police would handcuff me.   I laughed, got out and the driver stopped his meter.  I dug Thai baht out of my pocket and found out it was good that I did get out.   I had the exact amount of Thai baht for the fare and not an extra satang left in my pocket or wallet.  

Thai cops not only did not arrest me, but stopped traffic that was moving so I could cross the the walkway on the side of the expressway.