Will the 45 day visa waiver continue after March 31?

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Not all are sex pests............ must be thousands of elderly retired gents that come to holiday in Pattaya with their wife and children.

There are other parts of Thailand apart from Pattaya where many elderly retired gents (and ladies)  are happily spending the autumn of their years without having to worry about extortionate utility bills (making the likes of BP vast profits) or wondering if they can afford fish 'n chips on a Friday!!!

50 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Those that plan to stay longer term - like the Russians you mention - will still apply for the extensions but only do it 15 days later, so Immigration is not loosing 3 million THB, they will only get it 15 days later. 

Aren't the Ruskies refugees, not tourists ?

50 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Those that plan to stay longer term - like the Russians you mention - will still apply for the extensions but only do it 15 days later, so Immigration is not loosing 3 million THB, they will only get it 15 days later. 

Aren't the Ruskies refugees, not tourists ?

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Do genuine tourists actually stay 45 days ?

I don't have work or family commitments in Australia so I would certainly prefer a 45 day stay to a 30 (actually usually 28) day stay. A longer stay means that the cost per day of my airfare is reduced so I would be inclined to travel to Thailand more often. For a return airfare of $900 the cost per day is $30 for 30 days or $20 for 45 days.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are coming in droves. A friend in Phukets Rawaii area says they have bought up everything around him at almost double the original selling price, opened up shops, restaurants and businesses printing up Russian language signs and menus for many Thai places. He can not believe all the young families that have moved on and are planning on staying and never going back. Another friend says his Muay Thai business is full with many wanting ED visa to study for the next year.....

I think when Immigration 'wakes up' many young Russians will be sent packing........

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'd like to think that a tourist staying an extra 15 days will make far more for Thailand than the 1900 baht extension fee. I haven't seen any figures but I'd guess that quite a few people have stayed longer - more than would normally get an extension.

But the 1900baht go,s strait in the goverment pocket.very very little if any of the money you spend in those 15 days makes it into the goverment pocket.

1 minute ago, chris carre said:

But the 1900baht go,s strait in the goverment pocket.very very little if any of the money you spend in those 15 days makes it into the goverment pocket.

7% of the 15 day spend should be hitting the govment coffers.......... if spent in legit shop/businesses !!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

7% of the 15 day spend should be hitting the govment coffers.......... if spent in legit shop/businesses !!

The operative phrase as you put it is:  if spent in legit shop/businesses !!

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Tourists are generally not aware of the 30-day extension option, and when they plan their holiday in Thailand the information they get access to only mentions 2 options: entering Visa Exempt (with a 30-day or 45-day Permit to stay provided on arrival) or applying for a 60-day Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate of their home-country.

So the 30-day Visa Exempt option is indeed a (small) money maker for the Thai Embassies/Consulates or the Imm Offices.  But it might make some tourists opt for a max 30 day holiday even if they had the intention to stay longer, so the Thai tourist industry would be better off when tourists did stay longer and not opt to short-cut their stay to max 30 days.

And those that are here for legit tourism and visitation…how many would even consider going into an intimidating immigration office? 

I was able to enter on this waiver on March 4 with no problem. They asked me how long I was staying I honestly don't know. Hoping to get my marriage visa soon. Thailand is always so last minute on announcements so this is not surprising. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are coming in droves. A friend in Phukets Rawaii area says they have bought up everything around him at almost double the original selling price, opened up shops, restaurants and businesses printing up Russian language signs and menus for many Thai places. He can not believe all the young families that have moved on and are planning on staying and never going back. Another friend says his Muay Thai business is full with many wanting ED visa to study for the next year.....

I am assuming these people dont actually study? Good luck with that, thai authorities usually come around eventually.

Edited by at15
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normal tourists cannot stay even 30 days as they need to return to work 

Only retired people can. 

If they really have the money for it. And not start working illegally as many doing these days. Sure the Russians started working and taking jobs from Thai. Uncontrollable anymore. Soso many already

1 hour ago, ericdiam said:

Only retired people can. 

If they really have the money for it. And not start working illegally as many doing these days. Sure the Russians started working and taking jobs from Thai. Uncontrollable anymore. Soso many already

Only retired people can?

Not true.

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They'll probably make an announcement on April 3rd or thereabouts. They did something similar during the Covid extensions, announcing a few days after one expired that it would continue. That's the way Thailand works.

Not very helpful for those with flights landing 1st or 2nd. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 12:29 PM, ericdiam said:

Only retired people can. 

There are countries that have 25-30 days of paid leaves. Some even more if they take vacation time in lieu of being paid for overtime work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Brainwave to take pressure of immigration offices...

90 days tourist visa stamp by default like Malaysia and no more 90-reporting <deleted>.

Regular tourists should not need to do 90 day reporting. If the 45 day stay +30 extension continues, they still won't. I always felt the TM30 nonsense was more of a chore.......

On 3/21/2023 at 8:03 AM, Ralf001 said:

I forgot about the elderly sex pests and Russian Refugees.

Objection! I qualify as elderly but I have never pestered any of the young ladies that I have dallied with here. Rather it is they who have pestered me.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Regular tourists should not need to do 90 day reporting. If the 45 day stay +30 extension continues, they still won't. I always felt the TM30 nonsense was more of a chore.......

I mean no more 90 for long-stay type visas.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The "TM30 nonsense" was no chore whatsoever for "regular tourists" and the vast majority of them likely didn't even know there is such a thing as a TM30.

15 hours ago, Salerno said:

The "TM30 nonsense" was no chore whatsoever for "regular tourists" and the vast majority of them likely didn't even know there is such a thing as a TM30.

Yes the ones in hotels should not be impacted, that is true. but there seem to be an awful lot of them in other types of accommodation having to. Last time I had the misfortune to have to do this for a house guest the little room was packed and it took me a whole day. The 90 day report is 30 seconds on my laptop...

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes the ones in hotels should not be impacted, that is true. but there seem to be an awful lot of them in other types of accommodation having to. Last time I had the misfortune to have to do this for a house guest the little room was packed and it took me a whole day. The 90 day report is 30 seconds on my laptop...

Last TM30 I did I was lazing beside the pool enjoying a cold beer............. lodging the TM30 took seconds.