Passport needed for travel around Thailand?

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Get into the Thai way of thinking. Worry about it when it happens. Worrying about things that may never happen will make you ill.  33

Silly throw away comment.

Passport is absolutely required for some things. 

Would be very foolish to travel to an island and also driving to not travel with passport. 

Those suggesting otherwise are giving very poor advice.

The OP appears to be living in Thailand (expat) and to even start this thread is quite ridiculous. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Get into the Thai way of thinking. Worry about it when it happens. Worrying about things that may never happen will make you ill.  33

This is 50% golden advice for Thailand... and 50% a bit too naive for Thailand. Use discretion, depends on situation.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, rose33 said:

Passport when necessary at bank/hosp/immi... Of course. But I avoid handing it over whenever possible.

Did you even read the OP,

The guy is going on a holiday for ONE month and driving a car and on an island. 

Madness to even consider not traveling with his passport. 

Surely this thread is a wind-up 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

2,000 Baht fine for not producing your passport when requested. You then have to way up the price of a replacement if you lose it.

Do they ask for ID or for actual passport ?

Would have thought a Thai driver licence that has passport number would suffice.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you even read the OP,

The guy is going on a holiday for ONE month and driving a car and on an island. 

Madness to even consider not traveling with his passport. 

Surely this thread is a wind-up 

R U high? You're saying I'm saying things I'm not saying :-D

I didn't advise him to travel without passport, quite the contrary. 

HIstorically, there have been MANY incidents of passport theft in Thailand. So only hand it over when absolutely necessary. Have alternatives available to offer first. Often, it works.

Walk outside in fresh air and big drink of water?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Do they ask for ID or for actual passport ?

Would have thought a Thai driver licence that has passport number would suffice.

Depends

I've had drs license accepted making withdrawals from banks.

Are you willing to gamble? If the cops want it and you're wherever how are you going to produce ppt?

Had seven 48 page passports over fifty years. Cambodia, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Indonesia... Never lost. What sort of individual loses or has stolen a passport! It's your life

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I’ve spent almost half of the last 11 years here. I always carry a photocopy of my passport and relevant visa pages in the glove compartment of the car and on my smartphone too. For the last five years I’ve had a Thai driver’s license and ID card. We drive all over Thailand (50 k most years) and I do at least 90% of the driving. My passport was requested once at a checkpoint back before I had a license. The paper copy of the passport and the international license was fine. Was stopped for speeding once. No ID or license was requested.  He got straight to the point - 200 baht.

I’ve never been asked to show a passport at a hotel. My Thai wife always does the check in, but I’m always around. They don’t care.  Since I got my license I’ve never been asked for it. My passport stays in the safe at home in Chaiyaphum unless we’re leaving the country or going to immigration for an extension. 

All these are merely lucky anecdotes

• Like 2

Just now, Menken said:

Are you willing to gamble? If the cops want it and you're wherever how are you going to produce ppt?

I'd have to call the work HR  manager and ask him to get it from the safe and bring to me.

in 20yrs I've been asked twice for passport.... both times driver licence was accepted.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I can't speak to being stopped by any I.O. officers as in all the years I have lived here or before as a tourist I was never stopped by any I.O. personnel.

I have, a few years ago now.

3 of them in uniform with side arms and wearing what might have been a stab vest.

They came out of a hotel as I was walking by the front. Stopped me and demanded my passport, I handed over the laminated copy I always carry (face page and latest extension), they didn't want to know, informed me I must carry my passport at all times and asked where I lived, told them and said it's only 5 minutes away and offered my DL and Pink Card as proof of address. Response was a little grumpy saying they mean nothing to Immigration, funny as the office at extension time wants a copy of the pink card and the yellow book and a map of the house location.

13 minutes ago, rose33 said:

You're saying I'm saying things I'm not saying ????

This was your first contribution....

"By law, a foreigner in Thailand must carry passport on their person at all times.

In practice, when checking into hotels and am asked for "passport", I just hand over Thai driver licence and that has always been enuf."....

Which means nothing in regards to the OP.

The guy is going on a one month trip involving an island and driving a car. 

To not take passport is insane.

Then you type about checking into hotels.

Check in is of little/no concern. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I'd have to call the work HR  manager and ask him to get it from the safe and bring to me.

in 20yrs I've been asked twice for passport.... both times driver licence was accepted.

And if it were Friday night and you had to produce your passport?? You might be spending the weekend in jail.

Why would you ever allow an employer to keep a passport?

It's ironic that you think the passport so important that you keep it in it safe but fail to see the importance of keeping it on your person when traveling

Yes, aside from trips to the South and back up I think I've only been asked for my passport twice in 30 years.

What if?

You are legally required to have that on your person. It's possible that a pink card would suffice but a driver's license definitely not.

Whether a driver's license has got you through the mess many have said that it had. Well in the future? Will it for this person that open the thread? Who knows

Edited by Menken

As this guy is a tourist I'm absolutely fascinated to know where he's going to keep the passport that will be more safe than on his person.

30 years of traveling the length and breadth of South and East Asia and never once lost a passport. Four continents better part of 50 countries.

Risky 555

11 minutes ago, Menken said:

And if it were Friday night and you had to produce your passport?? You might be spending the weekend in jail.

Why would you ever allow an employer to keep a passport?

It's ironic that you think the passport so important that you keep it in it safe but fail to see the importance of keeping it on your person when traveling

Yes, aside from trips to the South and back up I think I've only been asked for my passport twice in 30 years.

What if?

You are legally required to have that on your person. It's possible that a pink card would suffice but a driver's license definitely not.

Whether a driver's license has got you through the mess many have said that it had. Well in the future? Will it for this person that open the thread? Who knows

The legal requirement is to carry ID.

My driver licence is ID.

My passport is kept safe in a very secure safe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

The legal requirement is to carry ID.

My driver licence is ID.

My passport is kept safe in a very secure safe.

I find the safe thing overkill and a bit hilarious.

I'm certain if we explore the law for farang the law will not say ID but passport. In the end it's not even about what the law states it's about what the cop wants.

If a Thai produced I driver's license and told the police that they kept their ID card at home you think that would fly?

lt boils down to interpretation.

'there is a law in Thailand which says everybody, Thai or foreign, must carry identification.'

I’ve not found any link to a Thai law which definitively says foreigners must carry a passport with them at all times

However, the Australian government stance is slightly different and they don’t specify a passport, but do say that:
“Foreigners are required to carry identification at all times.”

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/

Edited by IvorBiggun2

30 minutes ago, Menken said:

I find the safe thing overkill and a bit hilarious.

I'm certain if we explore the law for farang the law will not say ID but passport. In the end it's not even about what the law states it's about what the cop wants.

If a Thai produced I driver's license and told the police that they kept their ID card at home you think that would fly?

link to the law that states passport please.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

link to the law that states passport please.

Lol. This is just lazy and trying to poke your finger in my eye. You have access to the internet go have a look yourself.

Link to law that says drivers license is acceptable ID.

Would a bank open an account on your license?

• Like 1