Passport needed for travel around Thailand?

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Again with the access to money reference. 

That's minor. 

Geez ..

Many other reasons to have your pp with you on one month road trip. 

Clearly on ignore for good reason. 

I just found out you can get a Virtual Debit Card from Bangkok Bank. Pair that with Cardless Cash and you'll never need to take your passport out of your safe ever again ????

Edited by Lemsta69

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So you don't take your passport with you on a one month road trip.

For some reason not surprised. 

Others seem to agree with me!

Please remember it is all a matter of opinion and risk assessment!

I make my own risk assessment and do not give one hoot about your opinions or misguided so called "advice".

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Please remember it is all a matter of opinion and risk assessment

There are security firms to assist you when you take your pp to immigration for various reasons and to land office and for TDL .etc etc

Along with some matters when dealing with banks...

I'm sure police will give you time to provide passport if victim of crime on a one month stay on an island driving a car.

Heaven forbid you are involved in a car accident requiring stay in hospital. 

The list goes on and on...

Then we have folk posting about Virtual debit cards and pp not required at hotel check in. Can't be serious. 

My vote for most ridiculous thread in ages.

However as the saying goes ...up to you. 

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Plan B I have... A second UK Passport (which is not kept with the primary passport).

Which is fine for you as you clearly travel overseas enough to have been able to convince the UK Gubmint that you need a second passport.  That is not an option for the vast majority so, again, is a strawman diversion.

No diversion whatsoever, its simple progression and evolution of the thread.

I’ve asked valid question to those who may worry about the loss of a passport so take extra measures to be cautious. 

For example, the loss of a passport may not impact some who do not travel internationally, so their Plan B would be to make sure they have good copies of their passport so they could apply for a replacement more easily. 

That said, if someone hardly travels, potential loss of a passport is not such a catastrophic prospect than it is to someone such as myself who travels a lot. 

You don't have to answer if you don't like the question - however, there are many facets to the security we apply to our documents and risks we take when carrying them. 

Perhaps thats over thinking things... but that seems to be the direction the thread had headed in... 

Straws, yet again, removed from the man for you... 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Others seem to agree with me!

Please remember it is all a matter of opinion and risk assessment!

I make my own risk assessment and do not give one hoot about your opinions or misguided so called "advice".

This is where I have been critical of those giving advice or implying advice through statement of their actions. 

Those who live in and know Thailand know the risks they face, where they may or may not need their passport and posses alternatives such as Thai driving licence or Pink ID. 

Conversely, those new to Thailand or those who need such advice may not be familiar with the risk or possess the alternatives to carrying a passport, they are perhaps more likely to be in tourist areas where a passport is more frequently requested or there is greater risk of exposure to the police in such areas.  

Thus, while those with experience in Thailand can make their own choices based on their own circumstances and perceived risk projecting that onto strangers when that contradicts all published advice is in my opinion, irresponsible. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is where I have been critical of those giving advice or implying advice through statement of their actions. 

Those who live in and know Thailand know the risks they face, where they may or may not need their passport and posses alternatives such as Thai driving licence or Pink ID. 

Conversely, those new to Thailand or those who need such advice may not be familiar with the risk or possess the alternatives to carrying a passport, they are perhaps more likely to be in tourist areas where a passport is more frequently requested or there is greater risk of exposure to the police in such areas.  

Thus, while those with experience in Thailand can make their own choices based on their own circumstances and perceived risk projecting that onto strangers when that contradicts all published advice is in my opinion, irresponsible. 

+1

I agree totally with what you have said.

I just wish others would accept the above and not criticise or offer apparently "sound advice" to the contrary of a poster's stated actions!

Edited by scottiejohn

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

My vote for most ridiculous thread in ages.

I find you saying the above about my statement "Please remember it is all a matter of opinion and risk assessment" is in fact the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard from someone who keeps dolling out so called advice!

As I have said already, and it is about time you actually heeded some advice for once;

"Please remember it is all a matter of opinion and risk assessment".

Please put me into your now ever expanding ignore list so that I can continue to point out or comment on your misguided utterances without having to put up with your puerile and inaccurate responses. 

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

There are security firms to assist you when you take your pp to immigration for various reasons and to land office and for TDL .etc etc

Along with some matters when dealing with banks...

Why would anyone need a security firm to "assist you when you take your pp to immigration for various reasons and to land office and for TDL .etc etc"?

I think most people would put their passport in their person and carry it themselves!  

I thought the discussion was about taking your passport with you on routine/holiday/business trips in side Thailand NOT about planned trips where it is known that a passport is required!

BTW if (to quote you) "Heaven forbid you are involved in a car accident requiring stay in hospital."  are you saying that if you are taken to your LOCAL hospital after a LOCAL accident and you are unconscious and obviously do not have your passport on you that you will not be treated?

More cr@p comments from the usual suspect!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I find you saying the above about my statement

Just so you understand...

Post means post .

Thread means thread. 

I stated the following.....

"My vote for most ridiculous thread in ages"...

You understand the difference I hope. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In the hospital it’s the pink card, in the bank pink card or passport depending on the bank

Yippi.....everyone has a Pink ID card.

I don't and been here 10 years.

Many others I would suggest same. 

You have another contribution. 

• Confused 2

Another inflammatory post has been removed.  Since members are unable to continue the discussion in a civil manner:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

Standards of Conduct

1. Do not respond to insults with more insults. Instead use the report button to report inflammatory posts.

Topic closed. 

Edited by metisdead
Added an additional note.
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1