Passport needed for travel around Thailand?

18 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

You try arguing that with them when they say they want, this started prior to the TM30 enforcement.

Pink cards, yellow book (is this farang = of blue housebook? If so that would be required apologies if so) definitely not on the list of required documents absolutely positively.

Having said that to satisfy the immigration officer they have the right to request additional documentation.

I'm not stating that they didn't ask for it or don't require it I'm just stating that it is not part of the standard set of required documents for an extension. Thousands if not tens of thousands of people extend their visas without these documents.

I suspect that you had provided these and now they want them so that's on you

Edited by Menken

Just now, Menken said:

Lol. This is just lazy and trying to poke your finger in my eye. You have access to the internet go have a look yourself.

Link to law that says drivers license is acceptable ID.

Would a bank open an account on your license?

I did use my passport as ID for the bank accounts, only because I opened them before I had a driver licence.

Am not sure what the banks currently require though.

• Haha 1

From random Google search for being admitted to Thai hospital 

"What to Bring

Passport with immigration stamp (Arrival stamp by Thai Immigration Bureau)" 

OP, leave your pp at home. Just don't break your leg. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

I did use my passport as ID for the bank accounts, only because I opened them before I had a driver licence.

Am not sure what the banks currently require though.

No way a bank will open an account on a drs license here. They don't even like opening accounts without work permits.

Having said that I've withdrawn 100,000 or more with only my driver's license.

This anecdote is entirely different than getting stopped by a cop that wants to see ID

Everyone keeps thinking that it just simply a minor brush with the law and the experience might be. But what if you are indirectly involved in something quite serious. Cops are not going to be happy with your driver's license very possibly on some address where you don't even live anymore.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I just take my hospital ID card which has the same number on it as my pink ID card. If I recall correctly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If i was going for a month i would probably take it, purely in the case of an emergency and needed to fly out the country quickly.

In terms of needing it for nonsense like TM30, no one is doing that, i doubt any hotel is doing that.... I normally just use drivers license and never had a hotel even blink.

You dont need a passport to check into hotels and never had a hotel even question it.

"You dont need a passport to check into hotels and never had a hotel even question it.

So you have never tried to check into the Nana Hotel in Soi 4 in Bangkok??

29 minutes ago, Menken said:

Everyone keeps thinking that it just simply a minor brush with the law and the experience might be. But what if you are indirectly involved in something quite serious. Cops are not going to be happy with your driver's license very possibly on some address where you don't even live anymore.

If involved in something quite serious, I reckon a passport would be the last thing on my mind !!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
50 minutes ago, Menken said:

If involved in something quite serious, I reckon a passport would be the last thing on my mind !!

But it may be one of the first things on the mind of the police dealing with the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But it may be one of the first things on the mind of the police dealing with the issue. 

Either way time in the cells will happen so waiting a few hours for my PP to be delivered will  mean diddly squat in the grand scheme of being in deep kaka with the PoPo.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

In terms of needing it for nonsense like TM30, no one is doing that, i doubt any hotel is doing that.... I normally just use drivers license and never had a hotel even blink.

You dont need a passport to check into hotels and never had a hotel even question it.

You have fallen into the trap of assuming your personal experience can be projected as a general rule.

All hotel’s by Law have to file a TM30 for its foreign residents. 

Some hotels may not follow this regulation, usually cheaper crappy hotels.

The vast majority of hotels I have used in Thailand need your passport to file the TM30.

That said, I don’t think its a show-stopper if someone doesn't have their passport. 

It’s obviously better to use some intelligence and air on the side of caution in this case. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have fallen into the trap of assuming your personal experience can be projected as a general rule.

All hotel’s by Law have to file a TM30 for its foreign residents. 

Some hotels may not follow this regulation, usually cheaper crappy hotels.

The vast majority of hotels I have used in Thailand need your passport to file the TM30.

That said, I don’t think its a show-stopper if someone doesn't have their passport. 

It’s obviously better to use some intelligence and air on the side of caution in this case. 

Maybe the hotels separate those on holiday from abroad who do TM 30 (genuine tourists), and those who are residents in Thailand. I have of course not stayed in all hotels and stayed in some middle of the range hotels to and none have requested it. I count Centara's, Intercontinental and Anantaras in the past 6 months and none of those have needed passports.

• Sad 1

Passport related but not specific to Thailand. Played golf and decided to stay in hotel instead of driving because bringing beers at golf course. 4 Star hotel knew the manager very well. Asked to get room at front desk as for passport which I didn’t carry with me on golf outings. Foreigner can not check in without ..

they called the manager and he said sorry can’t passport is scanned at check in and sent to immigration. I said can I go outside and hire a working girl and she check in… the answer was Yes.

i have checked in to 2-4 star hotel using the drivers license type US passport type ( not valid outside US) and checked in. It took some explaining…

8 hours ago, Menken said:

I find the safe thing overkill and a bit hilarious.

I'm certain if we explore the law for farang the law will not say ID but passport. In the end it's not even about what the law states it's about what the cop wants.

If a Thai produced I driver's license and told the police that they kept their ID card at home you think that would fly?

I disagree. If and when the law becomes egregious, it is incumbent upon us to disobey it. Period. Been here a long time. Never carry my passport unless leaving the country or doing banking or immigration that requires it. 

My Thai ID or DL has always been sufficient. And I also carry a color copy of my passport and visa page. Never had an issue. Carrying the original passport is not the kind of risk I need to take. Caught in a rainstorm? Had a bit too much to drink? No thanks. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From random Google search for being admitted to Thai hospital 

"What to Bring

OP, leave your pp at home. Just don't break your leg. 

Recently spent 2 months in hospital.

Initially admitted to a private hospital for a few days then transferred to a public hospital.

My passport never left the safe at work, my drivers licence was sufficient. ID.

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, KhunLA said:

Besides it being the law (it is), why would you not take it ?

Where would you leave it, as can't be safer than on your person.  

Much better to have and not need vs the other.

Which Law is this?

There is, I think, a huge misconception because foreigners are often asked for "passport" when what the official/hotel cleak/other actually require is some form of photo ID, for which your Thai DL is perfect. 

I have driven  all over Thailand, stayed in numerouse hotels, been stopped at numerous checkpoints, once got caught speeding (official army/police joint op) and never once, not once, has my DL not been sufficient.  I do carry photos of my passport - ID page, visa, latest extension - and have them on my phone and laptop, but have never needed them.  Not once.

PH

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Menken said:

Link to law that says drivers license is acceptable ID.

Would a bank open an account on your license?

How can you link to something that does not exist?

That a bank requires a passport to open an account is a requirement of the bank, not a law of the land.

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:05 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

No  passport no hotel, unless you stay at 1 star flea ridden resort, they dont ask.

You obviously do not travel much. I have never had a problem and never have a passport with me. Many other forms of photo ID are acceptable!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

You obviously do not travel much. I have never had a problem and never have a passport with me. Many other forms of photo ID are acceptable!

Is your advice that 100% of the time 100% of foreigners in Thailand will not need their passport at all when in or moving around the country ???

• Like 1

Not at all my dear chap. All I am saying is that in nearly 35 years of traveling the the length and breadth of Thailand I have never carried my passport. It's up to each individual what they choose to do. I can only speak from personal experience, and not advocating anything!

• Haha 2