Driver injured as Phuket tour bus ploughs into power pole on Patong Hill

snoop1130

AA18XNMx-768x433.jpg

PHOTO: Matichon

A Phuket tour bus that had been on its way to pick up nurses and other staff at Patong Hospital has slammed into a power pole on Patong Hill. The bus, which was empty apart from the driver, was one of 3 vehicles chartered to take Patong Hospital staff to Khao Lak, according to a Phuket News report.

The driver of one of the other buses, named as Mr Pan, has blamed brake failure for the incident, in which the bus ploughed into a power pole while travelling down the hill into Patong early this morning. The accident happened on the last curve on Phra Baramee Road at around 5.00am.

Rescue workers from the Kusodharm Foundation, as well as Patong police officers, arrived at the scene to find the Phiphairat Tour bus had come to a stop by a concrete wall. The bus had narrowly avoided crashing into the wall, having felled a power pole and taken out a nearby government CCTV camera. The vehicle was badly damaged, with the driver’s door torn off in the incident.

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/driver-injured-as-phuket-tour-bus-ploughs-into-power-pole-on-patong-hill/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-03-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

The nurses and other staff from Patong Hospital can thank their lucky stars that this vehicle which was either poorly maintained or driven by a reckless liar was involved in the accident before they were collected.... 

From the link 

Mr Pan says the same bus has been involved in previous accidents,

So the owners of the bus company are responsible for a poorly maintained vehicle which as been involved in previous accidents.... Hmm... 

These busses and public transport are lethal here.

My son recently went to a  school residential in such a bus. 

Rooster has a thread running currently that highlights how he used to inspect the safety of various ‘adventure actives’ for the schools.. I wonder if that goes as far as inspecting the transport itself... 

• Sad 1

Next time you pull up at Traffic Lights next to one of these Buses take a look around the Tyres.    You will quite often see bald ones or almost bald and Tyres of several different makes.   Mind you; same goes for all the Trucks and Trailers as well.   'Maintenance' is a dirty word here !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Next time you pull up at Traffic Lights next to one of these Buses take a look around the Tyres.    You will quite often see bald ones or almost bald and Tyres of several different makes.   Mind you; same goes for all the Trucks and Trailers as well.   'Maintenance' is a dirty word here !

Had an 18 wheeler truck/trailer pull up next to me at the lights yesterday.

I casually looked along the side of it and noticed all the tyres were almost tread-less and one actually had a whole in it the size of a dinner plate with a piece of rubber like an envelope flap hanging in the breeze.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Had an 18 wheeler truck/trailer pull up next to me at the lights yesterday.

I casually looked along the side of it and noticed all the tyres were almost tread-less and one actually had a whole in it the size of a dinner plate with a piece of rubber like an envelope flap hanging in the breeze.

I posted a picture once of a tour bus in Chiang Mai headed for Chiang Rai that was stopped at a stoplight - same, same - the tires were "Slicks."  Then it's a constant wonder why these behemoth double-deckers end up in a mountain-side ditch with dead and injured strew all over the place wayyyyy too often.

Now, if there was just a regulatory agency in Thailand that inspects public transportation annually for obvious safety issues -  hummmm  ????  I've been on buses where the cops would stop buses as they exited the station and have the drivers blow into a breathalizer.  Boy-howdy, the instills confidence, don't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Now, if there was just a regulatory agency in Thailand that inspects public transportation annually for obvious safety issues -  hummmm 

Well now Anutin has taken the helm as transport minister coupled to his health minister crown we may indeed see a change... 

Note I didn't say when.