Bought a new house but do not get floor plan

3 hours ago, connda said:

You put up the funds for the house?  If you did without a floor plan?  Well - don't complain.  My bank account is in my name only.  There's a lesson to be learned there methinks.

The house was completed when she bought it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

My God, some people should NOT leave the safety and comfort of their own countries... Get a life and measure your purchased house yourself, i guess you are an adult??

I guess you are a Kindergartenteacher. Hopefully successful.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dan O said:

No it's not standard to give building plans upon purchase, it's up to the builder. You may have confusion over building\construction plans and a floor plan. It would be very simple for you to qualify what you want to make sure they understand. If not just measure and draw it yourself, it's not difficult at all. 

I have my construction plans as well as the floor plan, this way I know where the wires in the wall were run to get to the outlets etc.....don't want to be drilling into the wall to put up a shelf or even a cabinet and drill through the wiring.......

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, moogradod said:

You are right, the plan should have come first.

I am indeed German, not pedantic at all (a total prejudice) but precise to the extent that the overall result is looking nice. A measuring tape is not enough because it does not allow you to simulate configurations on the PC. Or do you want to move around furniture pushing it around ? The virtual method has proven to be very successful.

......And by the way it is not for you to judge what caring "too much" about minor detail is. I dont mind if you do not care about details in your condo or house and I would not dare to judge if this is enough or not.

Point taken. ????

I'm pretty good at judging nationalities, worked all over the world. 

BTW, I like Germans ????????

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

This was my first idea as well. But there is really enough space, I actually do not care how many sqm it is. I need the plan for the measurements of the furnitures and their placement. Thats all.

You're entitled to the plans but why don't you just measure the box and be done with it. Probably in the time that you put up the thread and answer all the queries it could have been done already. Just a thought

• Like 1

The floor plan can probably be found on old sales material, dead listings on ddproperty, facebook sale page for the moo baan, perhaps one of the tenants has one - they will of been given out in early days - there will be a Line group for community gossip - get wifey to join it. Don't lend too much weight to any sqm2 figure though, I seen them repeatedly wrong in any permutation of consideration of include or not including carport / back area, the realtors have to fill the info in on the property sites and sometimes they wrongly pluck from the wrong build type on the sales material or just guess. as I've observed on some of the properties we viewed - so tell me somchai how did you calculate this as 250sqm2 - okay you've won the blank stare award.  

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have my construction plans as well as the floor plan, this way I know where the wires in the wall were run to get to the outlets etc.....don't want to be drilling into the wall to put up a shelf or even a cabinet and drill through the wiring.......

This is a good idea, I had considered buying a wall detector thing but apparently unless you spend 10k+ for good bosch version then they are a useful as the golfball detectors,  what format did they share them in?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snugs08 said:

The floor plan can probably be found on old sales material, dead listings on ddproperty, facebook sale page for the moo baan.......

Please read the posts carefully. The house is BRAND NEW. They are still adjusting the lawn a bit. My Wife is the first owner.

56 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Ya gotta love living in Thailand. Well, you don't really have to. It was more of a sarcastic comment.

So what was the purpose of your otherwise meaningless and insulting comment again ? I came here for the first time in 1975.

14 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Please read the posts carefully. The house is BRAND NEW. They are still adjusting the lawn a bit. My Wife is the first owner.

Okay, drop the word "old" and what? A brand new house would not have sales material, is that your point? Have you visited any BRAND NEW developments - I done 12+ in last few weeks, got a folder of sales material from nearly all including a floor plan of each build type and enough free bottles of water to build a raft... I merely mentioned old sales material as even if brand new it may of been completed a while ago (adjusting lawn would typically happen after transfer) - involving a realtor here rather than the on-site sales office nudged me to think this, but perhaps you should clarify your situation as it all seems a bit odd

Edited by Snugs08

Just now, moogradod said:

So what was the purpose of your otherwise meaningless and insulting comment again ? I came here for the first time in 1975.

Good for you. This is a board to share thoughts if you didn't notice. You've been here for nearly 50 years then. I guess you've seen a lot. Good luck to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Good for you. This is a board to share thoughts if you didn't notice. You've been here for nearly 50 years then. I guess you've seen a lot. Good luck to you.

I have taken note of your thoughts. By the way I did not say that I have been here 50 years without interruption.

32 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I think calling a German pedantic is a big compliment. That is the reason Germans are the world's best engineers and manufacture the best products. The other pedantic nation is Japan, also a manufacturer of excellent quality products.

Yep, agree. 

I wasn't being nasty with my comment. 

I have worked with Germans and you are correct in what you say. 

The best cars on the planet come from Germany. 

Last century it was the Americans but they are too much plastic, cheap stuff these days. 

Jeremy Clarkson made this point when he drove a Mustang through Europe. 

Check out this car, it's amazing. 

https://fb.watch/js_Ax6CGdc/

https://fb.watch/js-2kNoA40/

This guys web page Charles Phoenix is full of beautiful old American classic cars, unbelievable. 

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Cricky said:

Yep, agree. 

I wasn't being nasty with my comment. 

I have worked with Germans and you are correct in what you say. 

The best cars on the planet come from Germany. 

Spot on - although the Japanese are catching up at a lower price.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, moogradod said:

I have taken note of your thoughts. By the way I did not say that I have been here 50 years without interruption.

I'm extremely happy I will never meet you. Seem rather difficult. Best of luck to you tho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest most here, would not have a clue what a 1/16" is.

Suggetion accepted. I haven't got a clue. I dont know as well Cricket rules (not even Baseball).

But kg, meter have been introduced as the physical standards worldwide. I was sometime thinking about this. It will probably never change for real items. Think about the trillion screws that would need to be adjusted (the steepness of the screw thread is partly based on metric measures, some follow the other system).

Maybe they manage to exchange these odd measures like "cup", "teaspoon" for something meaningful.

Talk about pedantic!  That's a better title for this thread. 

I am bilingual in units of temperature, distance, mass, force,beauty, and sexiness.  May I suggest some of you memorize 25.4, 1.7, 2.2.    or type in Google. "1/16" and select "1/16 to mm".  Pick a calculator description to read. You don't usually even have to click a website to read. 1/16"= 1.5875mm!!   Join us in 2023 and enjoy!!

I used 1/16" because that is what Bosch states on the laser measurement tools sold here in USA and it's 1/16" for the under 200$ model that I own.   There are Bosch models  under 100usd that have an accuracy of +/-3mm.    But heaven forbid the packaging says +/-1/8".   Many finish carpenters on YouTube are not using tapes anymore as these modern tools  are so handy, precise and accurate.  They cut baseboards and crown moulding without a tape.   Realtors have had similar, less accurate, devices for 20 years. 

It seems the OP wishes to have a CADD floor plan file of some extension he can load into a furniture arrangement program.   Perhaps if you ask the builder to ask the architect to provide a  simple vector drawing of the wall plans.  He maybe less worried about you stealing the design work.  Go find out which fike ext types your furniture layout program uses and ask for those fille types https://fileinfo.com/filetypes/cadoor measure and Make paper cutout of furniture.  

Edited by Elkski

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

You are right, the plan should have come first.

I am indeed German, not pedantic at all (a total prejudice) but precise to the extent that the overall result is looking nice. A measuring tape is not enough because it does not allow you to simulate configurations on the PC. Or do you want to move around furniture pushing it around ? The virtual method has proven to be very successful.

......And by the way it is not for you to judge what caring "too much" about minor detail is. I dont mind if you do not care about details in your condo or house and I would not dare to judge if this is enough or not.

I applaud your attention to detail--it will pay off for you.   Good advance, careful planning is so important.  I'm a very visual person; I'm ok with a floorplan and doing a furniture layout on paper but, for me, sometimes I need more.

In a recent project, I was having a custom cabinet made to hide a very awkward load-bearing notch (jog) right in the center of the dining room wall.  The notch was about 30 cm deep.. Normally, you might put a major piece of art on the wall but the deep notch prevented that.  One solution might have been art on one side of the notch and custom shelves built into the notch area.

I decided I wanted a floor-to-ceiling cabinet to hide the ugly notch and also provide side storage that took advantage of the deeper part of the wall.  The front of the cabinet facing the dining table would house a big piece of art, slightly recessed and framed by the cabinetry, a sleek high-gloss acrylic.  The deep side of the cabinet would have a hidden side door to the storage area.  The tricky part was getting the cabinet dimensions just right--I didn't want it to be too shallow or too deep for the space.  The dining space was not large and I wanted to make sure people could still comfortably walk around the dining table.

I found the best way for me to visualize and adjust the dimensions was to make paper patterns of the dining table, chairs, and the cabinet.  Laid out on the floor, I could see exactly how much space I had for the dining table and chairs.  The cabinet pattern allowed me to adjust the depth for the dining space and see the approximate amount of storage I would have in the cabinet.  The pattern also allowed me to make sure the built-in cabinet would be perfectly centered on the wall.

The result turned out beautifully.  I've used patterns in other projects, as well, including a house currently being constructed.  The kitchen will have an island that drops down on one side to a dining table seating 6.   The space is again tight so I made a paper pattern of the island and the table to put them in place in the space and see how the fit was and check all the spacing.   When the pattern was in place, my partner and I could see that an adjustment needed to be made in the length and the positioning of the island--what looked ok on paper was not quite right when we saw it in the actual space.  Good luck with your new home!

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I watch videos from US home renovation guys. It's almost funny when the talk about 15 3/8 and 12 1/16 and try to add it up. And then of course they need x gallons of whatever to work. Hilarious. 

And then Thailand mixes it all up by having stuff like steel beams in 2inch by 1 inch, but 4m long, and a thickness of 1.6mm. Or trying to buy a length of wire in kilograms ...OK Somchai, how many kgs of barbed wire for a 50m fence ?....blank look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I watch videos from US home renovation guys. It's almost funny when the talk about 15 3/8 and 12 1/16 and try to add it up. And then of course they need x gallons of whatever to work. Hilarious. 

And then Thailand mixes it all up by having stuff like steel beams in 2inch by 1 inch, but 6m long, and a thickness of 1.6mm. Or trying to buy a length of wire in kilograms ...OK Somchai, how many kgs of barbed wire for a 50m fence ?....blank look.

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

And then Thailand mixes it all up by having stuff like steel beams in 2inch by 1 inch, but 6m long, and a thickness of 1.6mm. Or trying to buy a length of wire in kilograms ...OK Somchai, how many kgs of barbed wire for a 50m fence ?....blank look.

So does the UK where you buy a pint of beer but a litre of petrol etc:

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Quite.  I used to work in a fabrication factory and used to smile at the shop floor, when they refered to the sheel sheets as 8 x 4 x 1 mil, actually 2.5m x 1.25m x 0.9mm.

They preferred the metric thickness, as opposed to saying 20 gauge, but kept overall dimensions in imperial feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And let's not forget that if anybody buys a 2 by 4 he should not expect something 2" by 4"...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moogradod said:

The house was completed when she bought it.

Wait I'm confused. This isn't a new build for you that your complaining about NOT getting plans?. It was already built but now you expect the builder to supply the plans .hmmmm.   measure it yourself, the end result is the same. 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good that you got those as they can be helpful in the future. I also have gotten them for every property I've purchased. The key here is that they are not yours just because you bought the property. They need to be in the discussion early on with the builder to sort out if they give them, you pay extra or you punt. Its never a guarantee that you'll get them.