Bought a new house but do not get floor plan

My Wife just bought a brand new house, she has already the Chanotes with her names, only the full printout of the blue book will be provided tomorrow by the Land Office. Everything is paid already. There are many people involved, the "Owner", the "Estate Agent" and the "Builder" and probably more.

But this "Builder" does not want to provide the floor plan for inside the house. His reason is that I could copy that and he obviously feels that he has some property right on that. According to my experience, Keys, payments and floor plan always go together. I sold a condo myself once.

So, easy enough, I can order someone to make the drawing for me - needed for the measurements of new furniture etc.

But honestly - this all seems quite strange to me. Is it customary here in Thailand that you sell an item (in this case a house) without full documentation ? I get a plan for the vicinity of the house, though, where you can see were the entrance is and the swimming pool.

Edited by moogradod

22 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Maybe the builder doesn't want you to find out that the floor area is less than what you actually thought you had paid for?

This was my first idea as well. But there is really enough space, I actually do not care how many sqm it is. I need the plan for the measurements of the furnitures and their placement. Thats all.

Edited by moogradod

16 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No it's not standard to give building plans upon purchase, it's up to the builder. You may have confusion over building\construction plans and a floor plan. It would be very simple for you to qualify what you want to make sure they understand. If not just measure and draw it yourself, it's not difficult at all. 

This all sounds very probable. Lost in translation = for sure at least a bit and I will find someone to draw for me for the purpose I want. I do not need a fully blown architect plan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

This was my first idea as well. But there is really enough space, I actually do not care how many sqm it is. I need the plan for eht emeasurements of the furnitures.

I did say it somewhat tongue in cheek but one never knows. When I bought my condo the floorplan was clearly printed and available before deposit paid, along with room sizes (as it is on the chanote too). Can't understand the resistance from builder unless he thinks you want the architect prints. Mine was marketed at 80sqm but actually turned out to be 78.xxsqm. I viewed before buying so was satisfied (and still am).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I did say it somewhat tongue in cheek but one never knows. When I bought my condo the floorplan was clearly printed with room sizes (as it is on the chanote too). Can't understand the resistance from builder unless he thinks you want the architect prints.   

No idea what papers you have, but a Chanote documents where the land is located (depending on the grade, like "tidin") and how big it is and what the shape is. Then it serves as documentation of ownership.

Nothing to do with what you build on the land.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Think about it.   There is a better way.

Yes, building plans are filed at District Offices for approval before construction.  They are at a public office and are public records so are available, remember you only want one sheet for floor plan, not the whole set of plans.  If they can't copy just take some photos.

• Like 2

I agree there is a difference between architect drawings and a floor plan.

Maybe draw a sample of what you have in mind on a piece of paper of print something from another building to show him a sample.

Apart from that I would think about asking him if you can get the architect drawings and maybe pay for it extra. Because if they are accurate that may help you in the future if you plan to put a hole or two in the walls and any other modifications.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I purchased our home in 2011, the developer's brochure showed the floor plan of 145 square meters. Upon measuring myself, I discovered that this included the front and back porches and the car garage which are not finished spaces and certainly not livable area. In the US a home's square footage in an appraisal pertains only to the livable area. Therefore, I felt terribly misled by the developer; but, now I understand that it's just another rip-off ploy that happens every day all over Thailand. 

I purchased a new car in 2021, and the staff refused to give me a copy of the purchase agreement after I presented them with a cashier's check for the purchase. After arguing with the clerk, she finally allowed me to take a photo of it. I could never get an explanation out of her.  TIT!!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

When I purchased our home in 2011, the developer's brochure showed the floor plan of 145 square meters. Upon measuring myself, I discovered that this included the front and back porches and the car garage which are not finished spaces and certainly not livable area. In the US a home's square footage in an appraisal pertains only to the livable area. Therefore, I felt terribly misled by the developer; but, now I understand that it's just another rip-off ploy that happens every day all over Thailand. 

I purchased a new car in 2021, and the staff refused to give me a copy of the purchase agreement after I presented them with a cashier's check for the purchase. After arguing with the clerk, she finally allowed me to take a photo of it. I could never get an explanation out of her.  TIT!!!!

Just part of the rich tapestry of life in LOS.

I would never have bought any property in LOS for all the obvious reasons, but if I had I'd never have trusted anything that I was told unless I verified it for myself, and if it was being built I'd be on site every day of construction looking for "mistakes" in construction.

• Like 1

You put up the funds for the house?  If you did without a floor plan?  Well - don't complain.  My bank account is in my name only.  There's a lesson to be learned there methinks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just to add, as some people may not realize, that the total square meters of a house/room size is measured by from the Outside of the walls not the internal size. Of course there are also hand held measuring devices, but at 2k+ i'd stick to a normal tape/pencil/paper/eraser. :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

145 square meters. Upon measuring myself, I discovered that this included the front and back porches and the car garage which are not finished spaces

'Not finished spaces' has nothing to do with m². 

They calculate the area (m²) from the eaves. 

Edited by Cricky

Simple Bosch handheld Lazer measuring devices start at under 100usd.   They are amazing accurate if you spend 200$ like 1/16".    They have an area feature.    About the size of a small backpacking gps unit.  Take maybe 2 hours to make an accurate drawing 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, moogradod said:

I need the plan for the measurements of the furnitures and their placement. Thats all.

Better to do it yourself.

There are webapps around where you can create your floorplan, insert the furniture and move it about.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Simple Bosch handheld Lazer measuring devices start at under 100usd.   They are amazing accurate if you spend 200$ like 1/16".    They have an area feature.    About the size of a small backpacking gps unit.  Take maybe 2 hours to make an accurate drawing 

I would suggest most here, would not have a clue what a 1/16" is.

The rest of the civilised world metricated in the 70's except for the third world countries of Liberia and Myanmar and of course the US.

To be fair, the US did legislate Metrication but it was not mandated, in effect reneging of their planned transition to join the rest of the world.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest most here, would not have a clue what a 1/16" is.

The rest of the civilised world metricated in the 70's except for the third world countries of Liberia and Myanmar and of course the US.

To be fair, the US did legislate Metrication but it was not mandated, in effect reneging of their planned transition to join the rest of the world.

Sometimes I watch videos from US home renovation guys. It's almost funny when the talk about 15 3/8 and 12 1/16 and try to add it up. And then of course they need x gallons of whatever to work. Hilarious. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I watch videos from US home renovation guys. It's almost funny when the talk about 15 3/8 and 12 1/16 and try to add it up. And then of course they need x gallons of whatever to work. Hilarious. 

My favourite laugh in shows like Flip or Flop is when they talk about increasing area and say "more square footage".

• Haha 2

The ONLY way to get accurate drawings is to measure it yourself (or pay someone to do it).

Not houses, but sitting on my desk (ok in my PC) I have: -

• Architectural drawings - What the Architect designed.
  • Shop (good for construction) drawings - Which the Contractor prepared in order to build it
  • As-Built drawings - What was actually built.

They are all different!

And none of them (even the as-built) match the pile of concrete that I'm looking at and wondering why my equipment won't fit in the designed space! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1