"Gratuity" request from immigration officer visiting home for marriage visa requirement

On 3/24/2023 at 12:36 PM, brianthainess said:

There are forms to be signed by you, your wife, and your witness/neighbor + they take more photos. 

Not always. I have had 5 and no two visits have been the same.

On the first one they all went for a look around the garden and then left leaving all the paperwork on our table, included all visits done that day. One came back following morning to pick it up.

Last visit was in November only one guy turned up with a tripod. Took a couple of photos that included himself and left after a few minutes, nothing else.

Never been any suggestion of any "gratuity".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

We were notified by LINE that the officer was on his way and he suggested in his notice that there was a gratuity expected... tune changed after he met my neighbor

That's the way it works. When I did my first marriage extension one witness was my wife's uncle who had Parkinsons. When the IO called him forward to be interviewed my wife asked if she could come and sit next to him as the other witness had to stand. The senior IO overheard and shouted that he wasn't suitable to be a witness.

She changed her tune when she saw his ID card, a retired senior officer, the bowing and scraping was unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I gave up using the marriage visa. The lower financial requirements were easier. But, the visa requirements were ridiculous, and I refuse to have to prove I am married once every year. Not gonna happen. Onerous, at best. Abusive, at worst. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I gave up using the marriage visa. The lower financial requirements were easier. But, the visa requirements were ridiculous, and I refuse to have to prove I am married once every year. Not gonna happen. Onerous, at best. Abusive, at worst. 

I don't blame you, but saying it's onerous I think is wrong-headed. Tedious, yes. 

I think the reasoning is that they do not want guys using the marriage to get a visa, and then abandoning their wives and continuing to live in the country. 

I'd like to change to the retirement visa, but the wife won't hear of it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

One local has been separated, but still legally married, from his wife for years. She is even village married to another man. Once a year he comes and get photos of himself at her house and she goes to immigration with him to get his extension. He dreads they ever do a house visit because neither the village head, nor any of the neighbors would lie and say he lives there.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, bunnydrops said:

They have never asked for money, but wife will give them about a 100 each when they are leaving. The same we do will anyone that comes to work at the house. I'm sure they don't need it, and they sure as hell are not getting rich from it. Its a 3 hour  drive out here and back.

An all expenses paid jolly for them and you give them more. The  three hour drive  :violin:will not be just to visit you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BangkokReady said:

Because it's boring, cold and grey, the people are miserable, and the women are fat, ugly and entitled.

At a guess... :whistling:

Sounds like a sad life. If you were bored there are many ways to fix that. If the people are miserable then hang out with new friends. Not everyone is miserable. As far as the women being fat, ugly and entitled..... well that IS a reason to leave. Just like the saying "you can't fix stupid", you also can't fix fat and ugly without a lot of effort and money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Sounds like a sad life. If you were bored there are many ways to fix that. If the people are miserable then hang out with new friends. Not everyone is miserable. As far as the women being fat, ugly and entitled..... well that IS a reason to leave. Just like the saying "you can't fix stupid", you also can't fix fat and ugly without a lot of effort and money.

I didn't necessarily mean that I was bored, so much as those are just my feelings about the culture back home.  I wasn't bored, I just didn't see much that I liked.  Thailand is a lot more interesting to me, people seem a lot more positive and the weather is nice.

One thing I find interesting about Thailand, is the fact that even though Thai people can be fairly materialistic, they don't do it in a nasty way.  In Thailand it feels like people are trying to say "look how cool I am", while back home it feels more like "look how much better I am than you". ????‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1