"Gratuity" request from immigration officer visiting home for marriage visa requirement

Just now, Crossy said:

Yeah, our office wants a visit every year for marriage extensions.

Same lads each time, we have the same witnesses, they take the same photos.

No issues, Madam always offers tea / coffee / coke which they always decline.

We have two homes here, we three years ago changed our registers address from the coast to the mountains.

At our coastal address visits were required every year, at our mountain address only one visit has been required.

I last week submitted my request for extension and asked if a visit will be required as we plan to flee to the coast to get away from the PM2.5 pollution.

‘No, only on the first year’ was the answer.

So two different offices, completely different requirements.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But before your documents go to the regional office they are inspected locally, and the IO can always find a problem or ask you for something that you don't have.

Over many years I've found the IO officers are very precise in their requirements and provide accurate statements on what they require.

Some are more polite about it than others, but I’ve never once been asked for something that was not adequately explained or unreasonable.

Edited by Jai Dee
Typos corrected at OP's request
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

famous phrase from Thai Immigration Office when asking how much..... UP TO U...  

Coming 18 years and only time I've been asked for money was when i got asked once for 400 baht to have my old passport visa stamps transferred to my new passport. I refused to pay. Shoulders were shrugged and I got my stamps transferred no more said.

• Like 1

Just now, owl sees all said:

Much warmer here.

For folks in the US it's warm in the southern states as well. No need to rush off to Thailand for warm weather all year long. A move to Florida will take care of that for them. Maybe some just need a change of pace so they move overseas. Sadly, most return home after finding out their overseas "paradise" isn't what they thought it would be. True!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes you are part of the problem. They think all farangs are dumb asses with too much money.

Please read and quote ALL of the post, and not simply snip the bit that you don't like.

34 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Tosh

Proof.

Unless you visit the regional office, in rural Thailand you take your documents to the provincial office to be dealt with.

Then the local office send the documents to the regional office for checking and confirmation, which is why there is 30 days awaiting approval time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Proof.

Sorry I should have made it clear.

I was referring to the second part of your answer. 

the IO can always find a problem or ask you for something that you don't have.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

immigration officer kindly refused my offer of payment.

Same happened too me when I did my first stamp transfer to my new passport. Hence why I know there is no charge for the service. Officers name is Khun Arcade if anyone comes across him.

Had the same from the local office head back in 2018 on the home visit. He asked the wife in Thai and she relayed it to me. I then told him ever so politely that it would not happen, ever. Said it in English directly to his face and told the wife not to translate it since I knew he understood and could speak English. He was also insisting I convert to a retirement visa in a few years. Took the opportunity to explain to him it was not required and not ever going to happen. He managed to humiliate himself in the office a couple of years later but that's another story. Noticed on my last office visit for the 90 day report there was a new head listed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my case, the smart BMW and a police pick up with 4 young officers and the older boss were given a bunch of bananas each from my only tree that I had waited almost a year to enjoy. They did a good job and were nice. The boss sat inside the car, door open for while and other officers standing around. Our friend/witness who is a lawyer said they’re waiting for some money. So out came the white envelope (don’t have brown) with a 1000 in it. I asked my wife and friend if I can get the bananas back at least. They laughed and didn’t realize I was semi-serious. 

• Haha 2