"Gratuity" request from immigration officer visiting home for marriage visa requirement

22 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"they'll see you as an easy target, forever".... maybe. It depends on how many more times you expect to see them. One quick payoff may be appropriate if there is little chance they are called to your residence again. Pay them and be a good boy so they don't have to return.

They get nothing and when they do come back, they can talk on the phone to another policeman who is way higher in rank 

23 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

My Thai wife and I are applying for a marriage visa for me and part of that is to have an officer from immigration visit the house, look around at the environment, and interview a neighbor... in doing so we have been requested to make a donation or gratuity by the officer... is this the law and if so what is the proper amount? 

Have them put that in writing and forward it on to Big Joke who seems to be the Serpico of the Thai police.  It's both illegal and amoral.

23 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Bizarre story. Why do so many people move away from their homeland only to be met with more nonsense than if they just stayed home?

Compared with the UK, even with Thailand being ruled by an unelected soldier, the good in Thailand still outweighs the bad.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, connda said:

They are asking for a B-R-I-B-E.  Don't!

I think a bribe is given before the fact to guarantee a result. Tea money on the other hand is a gift.

The OP should leave such things to his wife. What is the point of being married to a local if they can't sort out local issues.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

A lot of immigration offices visit every year, even a big payment would not work. There are forms to be signed by you, your wife, and your witness/neighbor + they take more photos. 

DON'T give em money ! 

I've only had one major visit in 17 years (ret. visa) photos, neighbours questioned, documents checked etc. 4 days after having received my yearly extension. 5 IO's in a van with laptop and printer, the full 9 yards. They even refused an offer of coffee and were most apologetic for the disturbance, a shrug of the shoulders and "Big boss wants everybody checked, it's not our fault".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I think a bribe is given before the fact to guarantee a result. Tea money on the other hand is a gift.

The OP should leave such things to his wife. What is the point of being married to a local if they can't sort out local issues.

What a rediculous thing to say.  If you feel so strongly why not take a gift basket to the Immigration Office and present it to them openly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tandor said:

If you feel so strongly why not take a gift basket to the Immigration Office and present it to them openly.

I've actually seen that happen but it wasn't openly. A guy put a bag to the side desk he was sitting at and gently slid the bag over to the officer with his foot.

By the way. giving tea money is legal in Thailand should anyone ask.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40505-022-00231-5#:~:text=In developing countries%2C public servants,Indonesia%2C but legal in Thailand.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I've actually seen that happen but it wasn't openly. A guy put a bag to the side desk he was sitting at and gently slid the bag over to the officer with his foot.

By the way. giving tea money is legal in Thailand should anyone ask.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40505-022-00231-5#:~:text=In developing countries%2C public servants,Indonesia%2C but legal in Thailand.

i don't agree at all. No Government officer should accept any gratuity. They are all paid a good wage and all their services have listed fees which are available for the public to view.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, tandor said:

What a rediculous thing to say.  If you feel so strongly why not take a gift basket to the Immigration Office and present it to them openly.

Seen a guy present Immigration with a large pizza when applying for his extension, and yes he is on here!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Get back to us if you ever hear of anyone being reprimanded over bad service or illegal practise.

Probably a long wait, but, I am sure the staff have been told of repercussions via complaints against them..... :whistling:

On 3/24/2023 at 1:21 PM, billd766 said:

But before your documents go to the regional office they are inspected locally, and the IO can always find a problem or ask you for something that you don't have.

Normally that would happen only when you are applying and before they visit, why would they be sent to your house if you had a problem with your docs. That Never happens !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

They are coming to visit in order to establish that you are qualified for a marriage extension.  Their report goes back to wherever they process the extension approvals.  They could very well report that you are not qualified if you don't give them a B-R-I-B-E to guarantee a result.

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I've only had one major visit in 17 years (ret. visa) photos, neighbours questioned, documents checked etc. 4 days after having received my yearly extension. 5 IO's in a van with laptop and printer, the full 9 yards. They even refused an offer of coffee and were most apologetic for the disturbance, a shrug of the shoulders and "Big boss wants everybody checked, it's not our fault".

I remember cops coming by twice.  Once must have been for the immigration extension based on marriage, and the other time was after the Erawan bombing in Bangkok when is was assumed that every farang in Thailand was a potential terrorist and needed to be vetted. 

My wife (and dogs) handled both.  They never came inside the fence (Arf Arf Grrrr).  I never talked to any of them.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Until next year... when the ‘Bribe’ is expected and they get upset when you dont want to pay!!!... 

HuskerDo2... People like you who bend over and take it are the reason such practices exist.  ???? ???? ????

Immigration have only been to our house once in 4 years for a marriage immigration check.

If you don't want to tip or help them, then nobody is forcing you to do so.

If other people wish to do so, it is up to them.

quote from your post.

"People like you who bend over and take it are the reason such practices exist."

If that is what you believe, it is up to you. In reality it does not happen to everybody everywhere.

• Like 1

They have never asked for money, but wife will give them about a 100 each when they are leaving. The same we do will anyone that comes to work at the house. I'm sure they don't need it, and they sure as hell are not getting rich from it. Its a 3 hour  drive out here and back.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

It is up to each poster and his wife if they want to give the Immigration staff anything or not, and it is of no concern to other posters.

When I go to Immigration it is an hours journey each way and 65km. It costs me the best part of 300 baht for the round trip.

So if I wish to give them something it is up to me and my wife.

It is nothing to do with any keyboard warrior and for those who tell me it is wrong and I shouldn't do it, I have one response.

You mind your own business and I will mind mine.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2023 at 11:57 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

applying for a marriage visa for me

Get your own VISA, Non-Imm-O or OA if over 50 would be best IMO.

You already married her, do not let her be in control of you status here as well

• Thumbs Up 1