"Gratuity" request from immigration officer visiting home for marriage visa requirement

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Until next year... when the ‘Bribe’ is expected and they get upset when you dont want to pay!!!... 

HuskerDo2... People like you who bend over and take it are the reason such practices exist.  ???? ???? ????

Funny Richie! If you choose to live in another country like LOS fully knowing the poverty and corruption you either play by their rules and have a peaceful existence or resist and cause yourself a lot more stress. As for me, money isn't an issue and I prefer to have as little stress in my life as possible. Thanks all the same.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

10 hours ago, tandor said:

..i was asked for 200 baht to reimburse the officer for fuel.

So what?  Tell him it isn't your responsibility. Too many people <deleted>ting their pants and either run away for problems or pay whatever they are asked for.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So what?  Tell him it isn't your responsibility. Too many people <deleted>ting their pants and either run away for problems or pay whatever they are asked for.

i did...i didn't pay anything..that is my point, stand up to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:50 PM, Menken said:

Trick is not to live upcountry. Not so difficult really.

I live about as "up country" as you can get - 30km North East of Chiang Rai.

Had one visit on the first application. 4 turned up, bit of a chat, interviewed father in law (neighbour) signed a couple of forms, lady IO spent the whole visit petting my two Chihuahuas. After 20 minutes went on their way. 

I offered them a glass of iced water. Nobody mentioned money.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always extended as a retiree with 800,000 baht in the bank, even after we got married. The idea of getting a home visit didn’t appeal to me. I got a 10 year LTR in January so now I don’t even have to have the money in the bank.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Turns out that there was no need to worry... my neighbor that was vouching for me is an honest RTP and the immigration officer kindly refused my offer of payment.

I don't understand - In the OP you were asked for a gratuity, and here you state your payment was refused.

15 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand - In the OP you were asked for a gratuity, and here you state your payment was refused.

We were notified by LINE that the officer was on his way and he suggested in his notice that there was a gratuity expected... tune changed after he met my neighbor

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

My choice... there are inherent advantages to a marriage visa vs retirement visa

The only advantage I can see is less money in bank required. But, please edumacate me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Because you're just encouraging them and they more than likely get 'lunch money' when they do home visits anyway.

I feel much worse when I pay 500 thb for my residence cert, money gets tossed in a drawer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

You get a receipt....????

It's quite the racket, it is convenient because if I forget the picture or need a copy they take care of it.

I tried once asking for receipt, blank stare.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's quite the racket, it is convenient because if I forget the picture or need a copy they take care of it.

I tried once asking for receipt, blank stare.

Seems immigration are doing you a favour, most folk are told to go away and get sorted. They were providing a service that they are not paid to do, you cough up beer money for it.

Perhaps in future double check your stuff......????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Seems immigration are doing you a favour, most folk are told to go away and get sorted. They were providing a service that they are not paid to do, you cough up beer money for it.

Perhaps in future double check your stuff......????

yes dad

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Could you post a copy of the receipt you got? It's for my album of immigration-related stamps and documents.

Don't think I have any other than the ones we all get...Suppose because my stuff is usually all in order.................????

Another good reason to be back on Non-o ME visas instead of annual extensions. We dont care for these goons stepping one foot on our property. The last 2 covid bound extensions were fine for us as the IO was cool and did the home visit over LINE video call. Im sure our new office IO would be downright a$$holes demanding a “tip” here as well..

• Thumbs Up 1

Gday

If you can have a neighbour come who works for the public service that avoid money questions. They tried to ask last year when they Visite my place. They did not know that my wife is a retired army member. Thus given they even came into the house.

Wbr

Roobaa01

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The only advantage I can see is less money in bank required. But, please edumacate me.

Another advantage: with an extension based on marriage you can work, when with an extension based on retirement you can't.