Where to apply for retirement visa.

Hi, I plan on applying for a “retirement” visa in the near future. I’m currently in the UK for the next  two weeks and will be returning to Bangkok after that. Can anyone tell me if there are any advantages or disadvantages to applying from the UK or waiting until I am back in Thailand ? Does anyone know roughly how long a decision would take if I were to apply in the UK ? ie would the two weeks I’m planning to be here be enough time ? 

Thanks 

Provided you have a Thai bank account in your name most likely best to return visa exempt and apply for non O retirement asap after arrival.

Requires 800k in Thai bank on day of application. Would need to demonstrate funds came from abroad. 

That gives you 90 day stamp. 

In last 30 days of that permit obtain a 12 month extension

Requires 800k in Thai bank for 2 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How long is a piece of string compadre?

What is your financial status (I'm not asking you to disclose that).

If you have plenty of money and can afford it easily then I'd suggest an Elite visa (that's what I've got and its wonderful in my opinion).

The Elite provides almost no reporting hoops, no quarterly fees and paperwork, once a year minimum leave the country to reactivate the clock on your 5, 10, or 20 year Elite and lots of other nice perks and assistance especially ease of dealing with I.O. with Elite support whenever you might need it or you have a query or grey area to clear etc etc.

If you have limited funds and pension as a supplement to that small savings then either apply after arrival O Visa as advised by others or you could apply in the UK for your retirement V.  These types as mentioned by others require you to hold funds in a bank account as a condition of visa compliance the Elite does not have this requirement.

23 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Apply in the office of a visa agent. He takes care of all the needed papers, the bank account and the 800,000k. Easy and efficient. ????????

If you are applying it is just as easy to get the necessary paperwork and take it yourself.  Why involve or pay someone that might get you a legit visa.

The process is simple if you go prepared.

The information and paperwork that you need is easy to access.

There are experts here that can guide you alsoyou can bring up what is needed simply searching the internet.

As to how fast it is or how easy it is simply check with the Thai Embassy 

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If you are applying it is just as easy to get the necessary paperwork and take it yourself.  Why involve or pay someone that might get you a legit visa.

The process is simple if you go prepared.

The information and paperwork that you need is easy to access.

There are experts here that can guide you alsoyou can bring up what is needed simply searching the internet.

As to how fast it is or how easy it is simply check with the Thai Embassy 

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Possibly not being able to access 800k and receive any interest on it.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If your in a position to write of 60000 baht for a 5 year visa fair enough but if over 50 retirement visa every time for me, it’s no big deal 90 day reports and 1900 baht a year to extend.

Definitely agree that's the best option , 1,900 every year and 2 hours of your time once a year and do the 90 day report online takes 3 minutes

Edited by Brick Top
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is one major consideration that is almost never mentioned in all these discussions. Neither an agent arranged extension, nor doing a retirement extension yourself, is a secure long term solution. It deals with your immediate need for the next 12 months, but no one can predict what will be available next year. I am actually pretty surprised that the requirements for a retirement extension with money in the bank have remained unchanged for 25 years. The requirements for a Non O-A visa were changed to include 3,000,000 baht health insurance (possibly with the ability to self insure by placing this amount in a Thai bank) but the requirements for a retirement extension are little changed since 1998. It is highly likely that the requirements will change in the next few years, possibly in a way that makes compliance by most expat retirees very difficult to comply with. Even agent organised extensions may either become unavailable, or far more expensive.

That is where a 20-year Thailand Elite membership becomes attractive. It provides certainty. You know that conditions for entering Thailand and getting in-country extensions will not change for the duration of your membership.

If you are over 50 years old I don’t think many would want to pay out nearly £50k for a 20 year Elite Visa not knowing what their life expectancy might be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If you are over 50 years old I don’t think many would want to pay out nearly £50k for a 20 year Elite Visa not knowing what their life expectancy might be.

Perhaps so. It depends, I think, on the importance you place on staying in Thailand. If unconcerned about the very real possibility that you might be forced to move to another country in a few years, there is little incentive to pay the insurance premium of a Thailand Elite membership. However, someone in normal health who is 55 years old, and feels a strong connection to Thailand would be pessimistic to fear dying before age 75. In the end, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account is dead money as much as 1,000,000 baht for a 20-year Elite is dead money. For those convinced they want to stay in Thailand, the cost is nearly the same.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Perhaps so. It depends, I think, on the importance you place on staying in Thailand. If unconcerned about the very real possibility that you might be forced to move to another country in a few years, there is little incentive to pay the insurance premium of a Thailand Elite membership. However, someone in normal health who is 55 years old, and feels a strong connection to Thailand would be pessimistic to fear dying before age 75. In the end, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account is dead money as much as 1,000,000 baht for a 20-year Elite is dead money. For those convinced they want to stay in Thailand, the cost is nearly the same.

I am confused about the dead money in the Thai bank account.  I am thinking that when I reach that point, I will simply take the 800k invested and move it from my investment into the bank 3 months ahead.  Once done move 400 back to investment then move the other back depending on the market.

Luckily I am Canadian and can do the paperwork with the embassy LOL

On 3/24/2023 at 7:10 AM, DrJack54 said:

Provided you have a Thai bank account in your name most likely best to return visa exempt and apply for non O retirement asap after arrival.

Requires 800k in Thai bank on day of application. Would need to demonstrate funds came from abroad. 

That gives you 90 day stamp. 

In last 30 days of that permit obtain a 12 month extension

Requires 800k in Thai bank for 2 months. 

Very sensible advise. 

I had done it both ways.    

There are extra requirements and higher cost in applying that visa overseas.  

On the costing,  non-refundable application fee paid to embassy overseas is double/triple the 2000 B fee of the Thai Immigration office.  And the extra requirements is costly too. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sscc said:

And the extra requirements is costly too. 

The point is regarding the 800k in Thai bank it is eventually required for the extension even if you obtain the non O outside of Thailand. 

Another good thing about applying in Thailand at immigration is that if there is a small thing that needs to be provided you can attend to it. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is one major consideration that is almost never mentioned in all these discussions. Neither an agent arranged extension, nor doing a retirement extension yourself, is a secure long term solution. It deals with your immediate need for the next 12 months, but no one can predict what will be available next year. I am actually pretty surprised that the requirements for a retirement extension with money in the bank have remained unchanged for 25 years. The requirements for a Non O-A visa were changed to include 3,000,000 baht health insurance (possibly with the ability to self insure by placing this amount in a Thai bank) but the requirements for a retirement extension are little changed since 1998. It is highly likely that the requirements will change in the next few years, possibly in a way that makes compliance by most expat retirees very difficult to comply with. Even agent organised extensions may either become unavailable, or far more expensive.

That is where a 20-year Thailand Elite membership becomes attractive. It provides certainty. You know that conditions for entering Thailand and getting in-country extensions will not change for the duration of your membership.

It is possible the terms of the Thailand Elite membership change too.

2 hours ago, samtam said:

It is possible the terms of the Thailand Elite membership change too.

Absolutely. As an example, the lifetime membership has long been unavailable, and the prices for membership are subject to change (as happened recently for the 5-year membership). When Thailand Elite changes its price and other conditions, this does not affect existing members. That is why I think the current 20-year membership deal is attractive for some. It may not be available in the future when and if other options to stay become onerous.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Absolutely. As an example, the lifetime membership has long been unavailable, and the prices for membership are subject to change (as happened recently for the 5-year membership). When Thailand Elite changes its price and other conditions, this does not affect existing members. That is why I think the current 20-year membership deal is attractive for some. It may not be available in the future when and if other options to stay become onerous.

There is nothing you could if there was a change of policy or government and the visa could be cancelled at a moments notice writing of several thousand pounds, the Thais have been known to flip flop. 
The Extension of Stay gives you the flexibility year on year for what you want to do, 20 years is long time to think what you are going to do, you never know what’s round the corner.

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Extension of Stay gives you the flexibility year on year

They have set the precedent of changing the financial requirements without grandfathering - specifically 400k year 'round. We may find that they put the amount up to THB 3m without grandfathering. I actually expect it. THB 3m seems to be the new hurdle judging by the requirements for a couple of newer visa types.  I just don't think Thailand sees enough value in retirees who can't afford to live in their own country coming here.

Changing the terms of an already issued Elite is a much more serious thing - a de facto breach of contract.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

There is nothing you could if there was a change of policy or government and the visa could be cancelled at a moments notice writing of several thousand pounds, the Thais have been known to flip flop. 
The Extension of Stay gives you the flexibility year on year for what you want to do, 20 years is long time to think what you are going to do, you never know what’s round the corner.

Thailand is very much a third world country where the rule of law is fragile. However, Thailand failing to honour a Thailand Elite visa would be an awful hit to its credibility among the kinds of well heeled foreigners it seeks to cultivate. It is possible that Thailand Privilege Card Co. Ltd might go bankrupt (something akin to that actually once happened) and that could affect your additional benefits from a Thailand Elite membership. However, it is vanishingly unlikely that the Thai authorities would refuse to honour their commitments with respect to the Easy Access visas.

15 minutes ago, mokwit said:

They have set the precedent of changing the financial requirements without grandfathering - specifically 400k year 'round. We may find that they put the amount up to THB 3m without grandfathering. I actually expect it. THB 3m seems to be the new hurdle judging by the requirements for a couple of newer visa types.  I just don't think Thailand sees enough value in retirees who can't afford to live in their own country coming here.

Changing the terms of an already issued Elite is a much more serious thing - a de facto breach of contract.

I can see the 800k going up but not to 3 million, there would be a mass exodus leaving many Thai families unsupported and loads of empty rental properties and possibly even crashing the housing sales market.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I can see the 800k going up but not to 3 million, there would be a mass exodus leaving many Thai families unsupported and loads of empty rental properties and possibly even crashing the housing sales market.

Fair comment. 800k to 3m in one big jump would be extreme and have fallout. What if they renewed existing 800k extensions but required any new applicants to apply for the new rich retiree visa?

Edited by mokwit

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Thailand is very much a third world country where the rule of law is fragile. However, Thailand failing to honour a Thailand Elite visa would be an awful hit to its credibility among the kinds of well heeled foreigners it seeks to cultivate. It is possible that Thailand Privilege Card Co. Ltd might go bankrupt (something akin to that actually once happened) and that could affect your additional benefits from a Thailand Elite membership. However, it is vanishingly unlikely that the Thai authorities would refuse to honour their commitments with respect to the Easy Access visas.

I think the well heeled are only a small minority and year on year Thailand is trying to attract more of the well heeled with out much success.As for losing credibility that wouldn’t bother them. If some one could publish a book where farangs have lost their life savings or part of that would indicate how much credibility the Thais have towards foreigners.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The last time the required financials was increased (in 1998) it went from 200,000 baht to 800,000 baht. No one can predict the future with any certainty. An increase to 3,000,000 baht is the most probable change (though it could be less) along with mandatory health insurance. With luck, they might also decide to implement changes only for new applicants, leaving the requirements unchanged for those already on retirement extensions (though they did not do so when changes were made for those who entered Thailand on Non O-A visas). In the end, we do not know. It is the uncertainty that should, in my view, make people nervous, and prompt people to at least think about taking out insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The last time the required financials was increased (in 1998) it went from 200,000 baht to 800,000 baht.

I thought this was during the Thaksin Dictatorship? Maybe 200k to 400k was 1998?

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Fair comment. 800k to 3m in one big jump would be extreme and have fallout. What if they renewed existing 800k extensions but required any new applicants to apply for the new rich retiree visa?

Having been in Thailand a few years there isn’t many rich retirees, most have been hard working people possibly divorced/single with enough money to life a comfortable life here in a decent climate.

I think Thailand is becoming less attractive to retirees and the number is declining. The government has to be careful don’t kill the goose that has laid the golden over the years