7-eleven demanding that staff pay back $ for their mistakes

Marvo

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

This has to be up there as one of the strangest questions asked on this forum.      imo 

Not so strange.

A few posters have highlighted the truth that staff get penalised for shortfalls beyond their control. Tills are shared, (unlike with the bank teller example). One member of staff pockets the cash and the rest of the staff have to pay. 

Couldn't agree more that a deterrent to pilfering has to be in place, but with shared tills, I really can't think of a fair solution to the "everybody pays" issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reflects the fact that Thai governments do nothing to help workers being exploited by their employer alongside no consumer rights here at all - very backward style of government

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember my daughter learned a lesson some years ago just after starting in her first real job in a hotel. They were all meant to sign out a float at the beginning of their shift but she noticed that often others (older hands) didn't. The rest of the day other staff, including the manager, would be in and out of her stash, saying just borrowing this, changing that, taking this out, putting that in. When it came up short, she had no idea if she had actually made a mistake or if it was something the others had done. But it came out of her pay. She guarded her own patch quite fiercely after that. There seemed to be quite a few ways you could end up out of pocket in that job and she moved on to better things.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yme said:

It's a very common practice and has been for a long time. Which is why if the cashiers make a mistake in your favour you should return the "windfall" immediately that you discover it, even if it means going out of your way to do so. 

Thank you and that is what i always do,i check and if they paid me back too much or forgot an article i always point it out to them

They are happy if you do.

Working for minimum wage is not easy and a mistake can and will be made.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Do they get to keep any surplus?

(that's a rhetorical question, obviously).

Split like a tip between all those working?

(Thats a Rhetorical answer)

Edited by ThailandRyan

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It is way too easy to steal money from the till if they are not held accountable and counting them out and making them pay the short is the only way to do it. 

But what if there is any money above the amount recorded in the till. Will that be refunded? I think we all know the answer to that.

When I was young, and the UK government brought out a scheme for sitting tenants to buy their house, I took a job as a bus driver so I could use my wage packets to get a mortgage.

I had to take fares and give out change, at the end of the week any shortfalls came out of my wages. That was fair enough, but any left over was not returned. That was not fair enough.

There was no way I was standing for that, so at the end of the day, I was the one who was better off.

I don't think I need to explain.

The wife and I were eating at a local restaurant near Victory Monument in BKK a couple weeks back...

My Thai wife ordered food from the Thai waitress, and when the order eventually arrived, they had the wrong dish from what my order was supposed to be.... I had ordered pork curry, and they produced chicken kareage.

I wanted the waitress to take the wrong order away, and bring my correct dish. But the waitress pleaded with my wife that if she made a mistake and had to do a new order for the correct item, the restaurant would charge her for that dish since it was her mistake.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

A friend of my wife works at a restaurant in Pattaya. It seems in some places they are responsible for any shortfalls, whatever the cause. Recently some scummy guy went there, ate a meal, with wine, bought cocktails then did a runner without paying. The restaurant docked the girls wages over 2000 baht to compensate for the loss !!

I hope that restaurant goes out of business soon. Dirty rotten lot.

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Since the staff seem to move randomly from till to till, I'm not sure how they can pin any shortfall down to any one person.

I think that the first till key that they push records the time and server as an identifier. That would mean that any server who uses any till will show up at cashout time.

37 minutes ago, steven100 said:

would you trust a Thai with your money .... i certainly wouldn't  :shock1:

I would and did regularly. The one time I was short changes was in a gas station and I stopped the guy before he walked away.

OTOH there have been a few times when the 7/11, bank staff and even ordinary Thais have come after me as I had forgotten to take all my change or dropped some money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The wife and I were eating at a local restaurant near Victory Monument in BKK a couple weeks back...

My Thai wife ordered food from the Thai waitress, and when the order eventually arrived, they had the wrong dish from what my order was supposed to be.... I had ordered pork curry, and they produced chicken kareage.

I wanted the waitress to take the wrong order away, and bring my correct dish. But the waitress pleaded with my wife that if she made a mistake and had to do a new order for the correct item, the restaurant would charge her for that dish since it was her mistake.

you make a good point .....    so are you suppose to except a completely different meal than what you ordered just so she doesn't have to pay .....    how would that go in a Sydney harbour restaurant or a steak house in New York ...    hahaha 

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

You'll never make mistakes?

that's not the point ... the point is the average honesty of workers and how realistic and cumbersome effective controls would be.

• Confused 1

Many decades ago when a student in the UK I got a server job in an Italian run pizzeria. The system was that you rang up orders on the till against your server code. This produced tickets you took to the chefs. Bill time and you got that from the till. The punter, sorry customer,  paid you and perhaps gave a modest tip. Always cash in those days. This went in your server belly bag from which you also gave any change required. At the end of the session the boss, a true Neapolitan, would print off all the orders and bills for each server's code then ask each of us to cash up the amount. If the orders total value was different to the bills value there was  

a heated discussion as to why and a call for the chefs tickets. The total orders value usually won and the server had to cash up this sum, making up any difference if short. 

I was paid the princely sum of £5 a week for 10 hours a day plus free meals ( but not the steaks, never those! 555) 6 days a week. Sometimes I managed to increase this with tips to as much as £20. Once a punter ( sorry customer) at a very busy time cheated me by suggesting I had given him change for a tenner when he had given me 20 quid. Obviously he didn't tip me either. A big loss for me when I cashed up at the end of service.

Those were the days! rent for my bedsit was £2.50 a week. Coin prepaid leccy and gas meters. Shared bathroom with 6 other bedsits. Landlord would come round every week to collect the rent.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

you make a good point .....    so are you suppose to except a completely different meal than what you ordered just so she doesn't have to pay .....    how would that go in a Sydney harbour restaurant or a steak house in New York ...    hahaha 

True.... I didn't want the poor waitress girl to have her salary docked for a simple mistake. But at the same time, I didn't want to pay extra (for the second dish I ordered but didn't receive) for her mistake....

So, my Thai wife stepped in... told the waitress to order and bring the correct dish I was supposed to have received, and my wife paid me back the difference in the bill out of her own pocket....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well the bottom line is that the giant Thai conglomerate which currently holds the 7/11 franchise has no interest whatever except revenue and margin. Nothing else matters. And the conglomerate has the power to make it happen just the way they want it. 

absolutely agree 100% ....   this has to be the best money spinner in the world .... the meter just keeps ticking over so the owners are getting millions every day ....    since mom & pop shops are almost abandoned due to rising costs and 7-11 buying competition ,  these shops are making millions daily.  And 98% of the food is not fresh as it's processed the day before or a week before.  Yuk  !! 

11 hours ago, 2baht said:

They can't add 2 + 1 without a calculator! Testimony to their education system!

I ordered 2 pizzas at 200 baht each and the waitress used a calculator to give me a bill

• Haha 1