7-eleven demanding that staff pay back $ for their mistakes

Marvo

1 minute ago, kickstart said:

The wife's granddaughter worked at 7-11 for a while and she said they had to pay back any mistakes thy make.

Is that why when my bottle of milk is X baht and 50 stang they ask for the 50 Stang, and the new ones nearly always count out your change 2 or even 3 times.

As it should be. 

• Like 2

In usa 

they do not have to pay back shorts .... but 

they can be fired for it .....  they are responsible for the cash but not repaying it  

a lot of americans pay it back  if they want  , or if they dont know the law ... 

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

That's the only way to try to keep the workers Honest.

It's actually only one of many ways; and not very effective.  A till that is never short may make the owners think everything is good and nobody is taking money from the till.  However, there are numerous ways to defraud the system and make a tidy profit.  There are digital analysis systems that spot fraudulent behaviour and create alerts for loss prevention teams or management to act on; every retail operation is vulnerable.  I have seen videos of staff at one outlet in UK taking approximately 40k Stg out of the till, which always balanced.  This was their flagship store with all management and returns setting exemplary standards for others.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

A friend of my wife works at a restaurant in Pattaya. It seems in some places they are responsible for any shortfalls, whatever the cause. Recently some scummy guy went there, ate a meal, with wine, bought cocktails then did a runner without paying. The restaurant docked the girls wages over 2000 baht to compensate for the loss !!

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Would a bank teller not be responsible for their till? Not much different. 

In the UK they, obviously, are responsible for the cash under their control but they were not made to make good shortfalls  out of their own pockets (nor were they allowed to pocket "overs"), banks have provisions for those situations.  

18 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Since the staff seem to move randomly from till to till, I'm not sure how they can pin any shortfall down to any one person.

If you take a close look at your receipt from a 7/11 you will notice the cashiers name or employee number on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

If you take a close look at your receipt from a 7/11 you will notice the cashiers name or employee number on it.

yes .....   just goes to show how much Thais trust each other   :coffee1:    .....   like zero trust

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Many years ago my TGF was deputy chief cashier in a 5* Bangkok Hotel and notice some irregularities relating to cash and credit card payments....as there was only her and the Chief cashier it was obvious to her who was at fault....she mentioned one day that she had noticed these irregularities but was at a loss to understand them (actually she knew full well what was going on but acted dumb) it stopped for a time but then started again....at this point my TGF sent an email to the groups General Manager stating what was happening.....the Chief Cashier confessed under interrogation and was dismissed.....I asked my GF how she felt about getting a colleague and friend in trouble and she replied that she had pointed out what was going on earlier but she had continued with the fraud which eventually would have been discovered anyhow and she did not want to be blamed for it.....

When handling money there is great temptation.......

• Like 1