7-eleven demanding that staff pay back $ for their mistakes

Marvo

7-eleven demanding that staff pay back $ for their mistakes ...

OP :    7-11 haven't demanded anything ......  it's a team management thing which is obviously common and agreed in each and every shop and it's probably written up somewhere.

The OP headline is misleading imo.  It reads as though 7-11 has released news saying it demands staff pay back $ for their mistakes ...  which is misleading anyway.

The headline is wrong :     it should say ....     

I was wondering is it correct that 7-11 staff have to back any cash mistakes they make as a cashier ?

Edited by steven100

12 hours ago, Henryford said:

A friend of my wife works at a restaurant in Pattaya. It seems in some places they are responsible for any shortfalls, whatever the cause. Recently some scummy guy went there, ate a meal, with wine, bought cocktails then did a runner without paying. The restaurant docked the girls wages over 2000 baht to compensate for the loss !!

That is tough. It's not just Thais who scam and skim.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

absolutely agree 100% ....   this has to be the best money spinner in the world .... the meter just keeps ticking over so the owners are getting millions every day ....    since mom & pop shops are almost abandoned due to rising costs and 7-11 buying competition ,  these shops are making millions daily.  And 98% of the food is not fresh as it's processed the day before or a week before.  Yuk  !! 

And 7/11s comply with the alcohol laws too unlike mom & pop shops

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

True.... I didn't want the poor waitress girl to have her salary docked for a simple mistake. But at the same time, I didn't want to pay extra (for the second dish I ordered but didn't receive) for her mistake....

So, my Thai wife stepped in... told the waitress to order and bring the correct dish I was supposed to have received, and my wife paid me back the difference in the bill out of her own pocket....

Very good wife 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Boyn said:

I ordered 2 pizzas at 200 baht each and the waitress used a calculator to give me a bill

I've seen worse;

- Shop assistant uses calculator 2 X 100 = 200, now minus 200 cash given, final answer is 0 (zero).

Transaction complete, procedure followed as per training. Everybody happy.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, JGV said:

Reflects the fact that Thai governments do nothing to help workers being exploited by their employer alongside no consumer rights here at all - very backward style of government

Clearly you know nothing of the Thai Labor Department. 

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's not about wanting.  It's about treating honest people decently and only punishing the guilty.

So the till is three Baht short, and you want to watch eight hours of video to figure out who made the mistake and fire them? 

On 3/25/2023 at 6:51 PM, steven100 said:

7-eleven demanding that staff pay back $ for their mistakes ...

OP :    7-11 haven't demanded anything ......  it's a team management thing which is obviously common and agreed in each and every shop and it's probably written up somewhere.

The OP headline is misleading imo.  It reads as though 7-11 has released news saying it demands staff pay back $ for their mistakes ...  which is misleading anyway.

The headline is wrong :     it should say ....     

I was wondering is it correct that 7-11 staff have to back any cash mistakes they make as a cashier ?

O.P. here.... Apologies for my own thoughts and post being "wrong" ????. Thanks for the education and corrections - send me the bill ????.

The story is about my son who works in a 7-11. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed as his brain was damaged, being starved of oxygen for over 2 minutes during birth. He's a lovely lad and although a bit "slow", works hard to the best of his ability and tries to please everyone.

He was given a job managing the stock deliveries and re-stocking the shelves etc, which he has been doing very well at. BUT, the other day I found out that he has been put on the tills, handling banking transactions that 7-11 now does. One day his till was down 4,000 baht due to crediting a depositing customer's account for 17,000 baht instead of 13,000 baht. The customer never queried the 4,000 Baht extra credit.  Subsequent review of the till CCTV showed up his difficulty counting all the cash and his counting error. 4,000 Baht was removed from my son's pay packet at the end of the month.

It's a life lesson that will stand him in good stead, if he is able to learn from it, but I can't for the life of me understand how an employee employed as a "box-mover", with zero qualifications or never having passed internal financial competency tests beyond scanning a barcode, can find themselves working as a bank teller with full personal financial responsibility for sizable banking transactions.

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread.

• Thanks 1