Do the seller need to present when transferring ownership ?

I am going to buy a second hand car tomorrow but we won't have enough time to do the ownership transfer becouse the seller is leaving the city the same day, he told me it's ok and he does not need to be there and he will give me all the required documents and I can do it by myself ,  quate: "I have the forms from the transport dept, my passport copies and the blue book. With these you can register the change in ownership. "

just want to confirm here, is it true? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

That is correct, the seller doesn't need to present.

Ok, because I just read on another post here that "Owner doesn't need to go to DLT if they give you a power of attorney form "bai morp umnartl " 

so I am little confused about this  , would I need POA from him?

Edited by abaganov2

1 hour ago, abaganov2 said:

Ok, because I just read on another post here that "Owner doesn't need to go to DLT if they give you a power of attorney form "bai morp umnartl " 

You wrote in the OP that you have the forms from the Transport Dept., presumably one of those includes something that the seller must sign. Whether or not an official POA is required in addition may vary in practice and from office to office.  As with many things here in Thailand, accepted practice and technical law often are different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abaganov2 said:

Ask your local DLT office where you are going to have to go to anyhow. 

If the seller is leaving Thailand best get POV from him while his still here obviously just in case you do need it. 

21 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I don't know what happens elsewhere in the country but we've sold two vehicles privately and never attended the DLT offices for either transfer.

?

You sold cars and the new owner has not been registered in the blue book?

(which is only possible at the DLT)

Or was there an "agent" involved.

always best for both parties to attend DLT, but an be done without the seller but have to get all your ducks in a row, power of attorney and transfer form both need signing by him/her,  copy if non Thai of passport and visa and maybe an address confirmation from immigration, if Thai copy of house book and id card

is the car tax up to date.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

?

You sold cars and the new owner has not been registered in the blue book?

(which is only possible at the DLT)

Or was there an "agent" involved.

We agreed the sale, signed the paper and banked the cash, we left it up to the buyer to register the vehicle.