Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

webfact

have to disagree with your opinion about mask wearing. Some are wearing because of the pollution, which you made mention of, but many are still wearing them in supermarkets etc because C19 is still out there. My wife and I returned from Pattaya on Sunday, where we did not wear masks, but we did on the plane, and this morning we have both tested positive to C19. The fact that we both started to feel unwell on Sunday would indicate that we came in contact with one or more carriers of C19 whilst in Pattaya, and the majority of people we were in contact with were farangs, who like us did not wear masks. I did not see a single Thai who was not wearing a mask. So IMHO I think you need to reassess your thoughts about mask wearing as C19 is still about and most likely it is farangs who are spreading it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:
2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

What are the consequences for social solidarity when you can't see the other person

The eyes are the window to the soul.  As long as you can see a persons eyes you can relate to them.  

Can't think of a better reason to wear mirrored sunglasses. Mirror shades and a mask, my look for this decade. Not showing "social solidarity", or 'unrelatable?! I'm an expat, why would I care.

15 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Nobody should be criticised for wearing a mask if they want to.

Agreed... but I don't think thats quite the point.

The majority of people are perhaps wearing a mask not because they want to, but because they are ‘fearful’ not to...

... i.e. fearful of being the one that stands out, the one that breaks the mould etc... 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

The fact that we both started to feel unwell on Sunday would indicate that we came in contact with one or more carriers of C19 whilst in Pattaya, and the majority of people we were in contact with were farangs, who like us did not wear masks. I did not see a single Thai who was not wearing a mask. So IMHO I think you need to reassess your thoughts about mask wearing as C19 is still about and most likely it is farangs who are spreading it.

I don't know where on earth you were in Pattaya but there are huge numbers of Thais not wearing masks. We've just come back from lunch and neither the restaurant staff nor most of the customers were wearing masks. 

We stopped off at Queen of Ice Cream in Jomtien on the way home and I think there was just one server wearing a mask.

Up country not many masks being worn apart from in offices, banks etc. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Bowman said:

Almost every day, I see a motorcyclist zipping down the road looking at their phone and not wearing a helmet. But, they have a face mask on for protection.... 

Following belching deisel trucks so do I.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

If they want to wear a hiqab, for whatever reason, let them wear their hiqab. What's the problem?

I invite you to think of the consequences.

What are the consequences for social solidarity when you can't see the other person? Do we need social solidarity? Do we need society? Can't we just sit in our rooms alone, munching cheetos and date AI chatbots? Why do we  even need to communicate with other humans? Why not upload ourselves and escape our meat bodies? Why not become Skygods?... 

In other words, your dismissive "what's the problem?" is exactly the problem. There is always a problem.

Really?

I some women wear a hijab, let them do it. It signals to me that I shouldn't try to chat them up. And I don't.

If some people wear headphones or have a screen in front of their face, fine, if that makes them happy.

There are still enough people out there who are normal enough for my taste. I have no difficulties meeting new people and talking to them.

If some people prefer to ignore me, for whatever reason, that is also fine with me. We don't have to be all friends with each other. Live and let live and all that.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Masks serve little to no function now, other than preventing inhalation of pollution. 

I am sure it's also social pressure.

In some offices everybody wears a mask. If you or I walk in there without a mask then the likely look at us like we are some strange uneducated creatures.

Maybe Noi and Nit wear their masks because May and Ann do it. And maybe Ann and May do it because Noi and Nit do it. For whatever reason they do it, and arguing with them that is doesn't make much sense probably doesn't make much sense. 

41 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I don't care if the Thai's want to keep on wearing the face mask, but stop expecting me to cow towel to the idiocy. Oh yes, and stop giving me the evil eye for not buying into your misguided hype.

Think you are overreacting to mask stuff............

"Evil eye".............????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

yeah! right? we go to a restaurant and now we feel more confident that the food won't be poisoned with their saliva...555

but it doesn't matter....covid might be over, but now we have another reason more realistic to wear a mask....at least until the rain comes.

Saliva is anti-bacterial, so you should be o.k. unless they have rabies.  ????

1 hour ago, transam said:

I am talking bikes.........Mrs.T is 100% proof of why folk wear masks on a bike, and I reckon, as C19 is waning, folk perhaps realise not breathing in cr_p via a mask is a good idea...????

Personally, I think there is a very real reason not to wear a mask on a bike and the reason I never have (I’d wear my full face helmet instead). 

There’s a risk of the mask blowing up over the eyes... (some may argue this point) - but I’d never risk it unless the mask we very well fitting.

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thais are robbing themselves of an important method of human interaction through this persistent and totally unnecessary mask wearing.

I'm 100% behind you Rooster, get rid of the bloody masks, once and for all.

Rubbish. You smile through your eyes as well as your mouth.  I always get a smile back with a mask on. And how are you going to force people to get rid of all the masks? It's a personal choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In some offices everybody wears a mask. If you or I walk in there without a mask then the likely look at us like we are some strange uneducated creatures.

Maybe Noi and Nit wear their masks because May and Ann do it. And maybe Ann and May do it because Noi and Nit do it. For whatever reason they do it, and arguing with them that is doesn't make much sense probably doesn't make much sense. 

IMO - thats exactly what it is... 

It's the ‘bandwagon’ effect whereby everyone else is doing something and that influences cognitive bias and public behaviour.... 

3 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

The world is simply a a better place, when most peoples faces are uncovered. 

Has it ?....  In Japan recent (Tokyo) the vast majority were wearing facemasks.

How about Korea ?, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, PRC, Vientnam, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines etc ??

I wonder if the majority of the population in these countries are also mask wearing ?????

(genuine question) 

Do you ever get that “shock” moment when someone you see someone you know without a mask for the first time. A lady I see regularly at work took her mask off recently and I saw her face for the first time. She has deceptively gorgeous eyes, I was really quite attracted to her and it turns out she ain’t so pretty after all without the mask!!

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Personally, I think there is a very real reason not to wear a mask on a bike and the reason I never have (I’d wear my full face helmet instead). 

There’s a risk of the mask blowing up over the eyes... (some may argue this point) - but I’d never risk it unless the mask we very well fitting.

Well Mrs.T always wears a mask on her bike, and always comes home with it still in the same place, but then she is not a girl racer, and am sure if a problem, she has overcome it, but I think no problem for her..????

3 hours ago, Gaccha said:

If they want to wear a hiqab, for whatever reason, let them wear their hiqab. What's the problem?

I invite you to think of the consequences.

What are the consequences for social solidarity when you can't see the other person? Do we need social solidarity? Do we need society? Can't we just sit in our rooms alone, munching cheetos and date AI chatbots? Why do we  even need to communicate with other humans? Why not upload ourselves and escape our meat bodies? Why not become Skygods?... 

In other words, your dismissive "what's the problem?" is exactly the problem. There is always a problem.

Really?

I some women wear a hijab, let them do it. It signals to me that I shouldn't try to chat them up. And I don't.

If some people wear headphones or have a screen in front of their face, fine, if that makes them happy.

There are still enough people out there who are normal enough for my taste. I have no difficulties meeting new people and talking to them.

If some people prefer to ignore me, for whatever reason, that is also fine with me. We don't have to be all friends with each other. Live and let live and all that.

Gaccha makes a valid point from a sociological point of view.

If people cannot communicate so freely with each other, they can become isolated, when this happens within a community on a larger scale other issues can develop. 

Thus, it could be argued that an important facet on the health of a community and society is how freely and readily it interacts, when aspects of that interaction are hindered or limited through mask wearing there are potential knock-on effects on the general psychology of a community.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

Hello overweight, unhealthy person.

I'm an Aussie and I certainly will not ditch my face mask while outside, especially when riding my motorbike.

I'm taking the healthy option.

Fool you for breathing in the filth.

Why don't you mind your own business.

Geeze, some people have got nothing better to DO.

If you're bored, try the gym and lose some weight, get yourself in shape.

Worry about your own backyard first.

Edited by Cricky
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Likely correct. I don't argue with them. I do politely remind a friend from time to time, who will wear a mask outdoors, that covid is long gone. 

How they might look at me means far less than zero. What they think of me means far less than zero. When covid was around, I would wear a mask indoors, to be polite. Now that it is gone, no reason for me to wear a mask because they are scared. That is on them, not me. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

51 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Rubbish. You smile through your eyes as well as your mouth.  I always get a smile back with a mask on. And how are you going to force people to get rid of all the masks? It's a personal choice.

I did not dismiss the importance of the eyes at all. From where did you get that idea? But a smile, or any other facial expression is the sum total of the face, not just a part of it.

I do not believe that mask wearing in Thailand is a personal choice at all. It's become a compulsive collective behaviour, much like the wearing of amulets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do not believe that mask wearing in Thailand is a personal choice at all. It's become a compulsive collective behaviour, much like the wearing of amulets.

Well Moonlover , I can't vouch for where you are but here that's demonstrably untrue. Some people are wearing masks and some aren't, so it's obviously a personal choice.  Even during Covid here not everyone wore a mask, it depended on circumstances. In shops or on songthaews fair enough.  Outside, on your own perhaps not.