Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

webfact

19 hours ago, DavisH said:

For all intents and purposes, the pandemic is over in Thailand. I have noticed a small but significant decrease in masking in bKK shopping centers. Virtually noone is wearing maskes in tourist areas, without any problem evident. I haven't worn one in months, and am not wearing one while teaching now. Virtually all other asian/Thai teachers and students wear them in the classroom though. Peer group  pressure seems to apply to both adults and children here alike. 

They are at more rish from pm2.5 pollution than anything else. They should buy masks that suit this purpose when outside. 

image.png.f4404f30e256019a893e4548271048ea.png

Yep. The pandemic is over everywhere. It's now endemic. No need for masks that don't work and no need for boosters unless you are at risk then you should also be getting a flu vaccine. It's been pretty much over since Omicron kicked out Delta. Few weeks ago had a shocking head cold or maybe it was Omicron for the 2nd time. Didn't test. What's the point. It was all over in a few days. I've been posting for some time now to TAKE OFF THE MASKS. Wearing a mask or not wearing a mask is exactly the same. I guess the warehouses are still full and there are profits still to be made.

14 hours ago, transam said:

I wear a mask in any shop I go into, because in the shops I go into the staff are wearing them, plus in other places I don't know who is going to cough in my ear, which has happened.

As far as I know, I haven't had C19, and I intend to keep it that way until the coast is clear. 

But most of all, I have absolutely no problem wearing a mask if I think I need to, bit like wearing a seat belt in a car, no problemo.....   ????

It is not necessary to wear a mask in 711, Lotus'ssssss, BigC etc, however, it's mandated that the staff do. As for the "coughing in the ear" I have seen since the beginning of this thing sooooo many Thais pulling their masks down to sneeze. Sad truth is that most Thais are just sheeple and have absolutely no idea about the reality of mask mearing (absolutely no longer necessary) and the reality vis a vis Omicron. I was in a 7 the other day and a Thai had forgotton their mask. Pulled up their shirt to cover mouth and nose. Absolutely no idea but trying to do what is still considered to be the right thing to do. Girl at 7 told him to nevermind. You do not have to wear a mask.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It is not necessary to wear a mask in 711, Lotus'ssssss, BigC etc, however, it's mandated that the staff do. As for the "coughing in the ear" I have seen since the beginning of this thing sooooo many Thais pulling their masks down to sneeze. Sad truth is that most Thais are just sheeple and have absolutely no idea about the reality of mask mearing (absolutely no longer necessary) and the reality vis a vis Omicron. I was in a 7 the other day and a Thai had forgotton their mask. Pulled up their shirt to cover mouth and nose. Absolutely no idea but trying to do what is still considered to be the right thing to do. Girl at 7 told him to nevermind. You do not have to wear a mask.

No need to keep banging on about it too.... it will be really over when you stop prattling on! :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Global house , went there several times, last months. No problem until one day it changed.

When i came in they even broad casted to wear a mask in English.

Now it seems when they see me come, they start that recording immediately.

However i dont pay attention to it. Also some personnel and other customers arent wearing.

Until now, no one approached me for it. 

It is amazing, in 2019 there was an epidemic in my country, the flue. There was an increase in dead people, 10000 extra, in 2 months. And that number was bigger then first casualties with covid. No one came up with any rules or whatever.

I even didnt know and probably many more didnt know. Just red it way later on internet. when covid popped up.

Now it is waiting on the candida bacterie infection, which seem to spread, reading Yahoo and MSN news. And this bacterie is anti biotic resistant.

Hello, hurray, let the show begin, we are ready

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No need to keep banging on about it too.... it will be really over when you stop prattling on! :unsure:

What a silly comment. The pandemic is over, this is a fact, and mask wearing is not necessary, this is also a fact.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BayArea said:

Extreme to moderate Islam is what I see in this graph. 

It shows they can if they want, wear a mask, and they do....A point was made that mask wearing was detrimental, which is rollox...????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Nope, I was on the Sky  to their peer pressure Train in Bangkok, cars are full of Thai's. I'm sure they were giving me the evil eye until I succumbed and put on my mask. Of course it could be the only thing I saw on their faces were the eyes and the forehead sometimes.

Behind the masks were probably smiles, at a farangy that hasn't got the sense to take care of himself............????

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You are still very obsessed with it too, that is also a fact.

Nup. Not very obsessed. Not even obsessed. Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I don't wear a mask and hopefully Thais will see the light and stop paying for and wearing them. They serve no purpose. Worn properly, worn improperly or not at all it's all the same. Covid-19 is an airborne virus. Masks will stop spittle and that's about it. The virus will happily escape the mask through breath. I've always had a bit of a giggle when I see people lining up at the local shabu restaurant all wearing masks, all crowded together and then the masks get taken off when they're inside. Pretty pointless really and as more information comes out may have been completely useless from the very beginning. 

45 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So, you state Thais are "sheeple", inferring you are a superior farangy...:unsure:

This is a common phenomenon in Thailand, farangy's that look down on the people of the country they escaped too.................:ermm:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

What a silly comment. The pandemic is over, this is a fact, and mask wearing is not necessary, this is also a fact.

Are you saying nobody is catching C19 in LOS......?

Because if you are, you are...............:crazy:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Nup. Not very obsessed. Not even obsessed. Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I don't wear a mask and hopefully Thais will see the light and stop paying for and wearing them. They serve no purpose. Worn properly, worn improperly or not at all it's all the same. Covid-19 is an airborne virus. Masks will stop spittle and that's about it. The virus will happily escape the mask through breath. I've always had a bit of a giggle when I see people lining up at the local shabu restaurant all wearing masks, all crowded together and then the masks get taken off when they're inside. Pretty pointless really and as more information comes out may have been completely useless from the very beginning. 

Mate, that sounds obsessed. You are lecturing grown adults about personal decisions they can make themselves. People don't want to hear this masks good/ masks bad nonsense any more. It is tiresome. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If they want to wear a mask, for whatever reason, let them wear their mask. What's the problem?

Because certain business still require you to wear one too.  Which I do, until I get through the door.

Imho, most Thais wear masks due to strong social conformity.  My own wife is a perfect example.  Her mask goes on if a majority of people are wearing a mask.  She won't put one on if the majority (such as in our village) are not wearing a mask.  That's totally about social conformity.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Dumped masks arriving back in UK 6 months ago and have had two awful 2 weeks+ covid bouts...this after 3x vax doses over 1.5 years...the effect of covid was still super rough.

I haven't worn a mask since this started in 2020 with the exception of the first two years where you literally couldn't get through the door in places like Big C or Makro or Global (mask, alcohol jel, temperature check monitored by store staff).  Once they stop staffing the doors my mask came off.

No mask (unless forced), no shots, no Covid, no flu, one minor cold back in July 2020 and Bob's Your Uncle.  Just speaking for myself - well, my wife too.  Wife masks pretty much anytime the majority of the public are masked, but no shots, no Covid, no flu, not even a cold since before 2020. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

I haven't worn a mask since this started in 2020 with the exception of the first two years where you literally couldn't get through the door in places like Big C or Makro or Global (mask, alcohol jel, temperature check monitored by store staff).  Once they stop staffing the doors my mask came off.

No mask (unless forced), no shots, no Covid, no flu, one minor cold back in July 2020 and Bob's Your Uncle.  Just speaking for myself - well, my wife too.  Wife masks pretty much anytime the majority of the public are masked, but no shots, no Covid, no flu, not even a cold since before 2020. 

Weren't you lucky......................:clap2:...............................:ermm:

31 minutes ago, transam said:

So, you state Thais are "sheeple", inferring you are a superior farangy...:unsure:

This is a common phenomenon in Thailand, farangy's that look down on the people of the country they escaped too.................:ermm:

Tell me why Thais are still wearing masks. Tell me why Thais think Omicron is dangerous and can kill them. You say superiority, I say rational and educated. I've been here 18 yrs full time and I'm married. I do have some idea about what I'm saying. I'm sure if some Thai 'expert' was to come out now and say mask wearing wards off ghosts many, many, many thousands if not millions of Thais would believe this.

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you saying nobody is catching C19 in LOS......?

Because if you are, you are...............:crazy:

No where did I say this. I would guess almost 100% of people in Thailand have been exposed and will continue to be exposed. Masks will not prevent this.

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Mate, that sounds obsessed. You are lecturing grown adults about personal decisions they can make themselves. People don't want to hear this masks good/ masks bad nonsense any more. It is tiresome. 

I believe this is the topic of the OP and this thread is it not? 

Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

I believe this is the topic of the OP and this thread is it not? 

But you are not talking to Thais.... nor is Rooster actually, You are banging on about Thai behaviour in an English language, farang oriented forum. It is just you beating your badly worn drum! 

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Tell me why Thais are still wearing masks. Tell me why Thais think Omicron is dangerous and can kill them. You say superiority, I say rational and educated. I've been here 18 yrs full time and I'm married. I do have some idea about what I'm saying. I'm sure if some Thai 'expert' was to come out now and say mask wearing wards off ghosts many, many, many thousands if not millions of Thais would believe this.

"Why are Thais still wearing masks", it is none of your farangy business.

Perhaps they have read that in the UK, C19 numbers are on the rise, as I have.

People like you like to criticize a country's folk for what they want to do, get off your high horse, and think why you are here, living with your "sheeple".... :ermm:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But you are not talking to Thais.... nor is Rooster actually, You are banging on about Thai behaviour in an English language, farang oriented forum. It is just you beating your badly worn drum! 

"95-100%" of Thais still wearing masks in BKK he says. I'm just outside of BKK and it's the same although I am just starting to see a few (usually younger) more not wearing them. 06:15. "My message at the moment to the Thai people in particular is ......please ditch the masks. The pandemics over...." I can only agree with this comment but the thing is the pandemic has been over for more than a year and yet almost all Thais are still wearing masks. I believe this is not the case in places like Pattaya and Phuket. As I have been saying IMO since Omicron there has been no need to wear a mask. Know a farang who was a bit of a mask wearer who got omicron. Only knew this because a friend tested positive so tested themselves. Positive result. Symptoms nil. Asymptomatic. No longer wears a mask. I think post Songkran the masks will come off. 

Edited by dinsdale

"95-100%" of Thais still wearing masks in BKK he says. I'm just outside of BKK and it's the same although I am just starting to see a few (usually younger) more not wearing them. 06:15. "My message at the moment to the Thai people in particular is ......please ditch the masks. The pandemics over...." I can only agree with this comment but the thing is the pandemic has been over for more than a year and yet almost all Thais are still wearing masks. I believe this is not the case in places like Pattaya and Phuket. As I have been saying IMO since Omicron there has been no need to wear a mask. Know a farang who was a bit of a mask wearer who got omicron. Only knew this because a friend tested positive so tested themselves. Positive result. Symptoms nil. Asymptomatic. No longer wears a mask.

Are you wearing ear defenders and very dark glasses as you bang your drum......?

1 hour ago, transam said:

It shows they can if they want, wear a mask, and they do....A point was made that mask wearing was detrimental, which is rollox...????

The forced wearing of religious head-gear is not the same as mask wearing - the only similarity drawn is that religious head-gear that covers the face also impedes communication,  those in societies in which this ‘face covering’ is prevalent are not known for their free communication - rather they are observed to be silent, muted, controlled...

Meanwhile, where mask wearing for some is an informed choice, either due to protection from pollution or all viruses (N-95 masks), it would appear that a significant proportion of Thai society are wearing a mask not through informed choice but through personal concern that they may stand out if they don’t (the bandwagon effect). 

In a society where the vast majority of people wear masks communication may be hindered, people do not see the smile, the seemingly insignificant micro-interactions that matter to some and make a difference to others... These interactions make a difference on a subconscious level even if we do not consciously notice this, these interactions matter to a community where the very shy, the strongly introverted and people on the fringes may otherwise lack contact and feel isolated etc.

People, such as yourself Trans, may not recognise or understand how such interaction matters to a community, but it does, and a community in which communication is hindered even slightly may be slightly less content - this is somewhat immeasurable except for extreme cases such as numbers for treatment of mental health and even as far as suicides.

Now, someone may chose to grab hold of a ’straw’ from that comment, Gaslight that I have implied ‘if people have to wear masks they will commit suicide’ (I know how some can cling to such comments on this forum), but thats not what I mean, I mean that a society in which communication is hindered is going to be less content than a society in which there is no hinderance to communication whatsoever and a less content society and with it some social consequences. 

Thus, the question I have thought about is: Does mask wearing hinder communication, with absolute certainty it does. 

The question must then be posed: Does the non-wearing of mask present any greater risk to the physical health of society vs any impact of mask wearing on a societies mental heath

(note: we’re no longer at the height of a Pandemic).

Regarding pollution - I would suggest yes - but there is no need to wear a mask indoors then (in shopping centres etc)

Regarding Covid, I would suggest no. Some people are still hysterical about covid, however, I believe there are greater risks to health from Influenza outbreaks than posed by Covid-19 in it current guise.

These are the reasons I would wear a mask outdoors on days where pollution is considered high, also why I would wear a mask (N-95) on public transport (i.e. BTS)... 

These are also the reasons why I agree that mask wearing due to a ’bandwagon’ effect could potentially be detrimental to the wellbeing of a society in general.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

"Why are Thais still wearing masks", it is none of your farangy business.

Perhaps they have read that in the UK, C19 numbers are on the rise, as I have.

People like you like to criticize a country's folk for what they want to do, get off your high horse, and think why you are here, living with your "sheeple".... :ermm:

Then I guess this comment is directed @Rooster. I cant see a problem with saying "it's time to ditch the masks" because it is time to ditch the masks. Faces are part of human interaction and communucation and I, as does @Rooster, want to get back to this. If still wearing a mask is a cultural rather than medical thing just what part of Thai culture is it? I believe Thais are waiting to be told what to do. At the very beginning of the pandemic I masked up. At this stage Thais were only wearing masks for pollution. Then they were told to wear masks and it was almost 100% complience. Thing is no one has told them to stop wearing masks. 

Just now, dinsdale said:

Then I guess this comment is directed @Rooster. I cant see a problem with saying "it's time to ditch the masks" because it is time to ditch the masks. Faces are part of human interaction and communucation and I, as does @Rooster, want to get back to this. If still wearing a mask is a cultural rather than medical thing just what part of Thai culture is it? I believe Thais are waiting to be told what to do. At the very beginning of the pandemic I masked up. At this stage Thais were only wearing masks for pollution. Then they were told to wear masks and it was almost 100% complience. Thing is no one has told them to stop wearing masks. 

Because they can think for themselves, perhaps find it better with the mask, especially riding bikes, which is exactly what Mrs.T does, NOW....

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are you wearing ear defenders and very dark glasses as you bang your drum......?

Sorry. Yes of course your opinion is correct. Having lived here 18 yrs full time, having a family and a house does not give me the right to an opinion on if it's time to "ditch the masks" and why Thais (and farang, so not just Thais) are still wearing masks. I did ask a teacher last wk why they were still wearing masks. Answer was covid. Mask was around his neck. As I have just posted I think it's because no one has said take off the masks. Told to put them on but as of yet not told to take them off. Lots of masks still to be sold, plenty of money to be had but wearing masks has never been compolsory. Interesting sociological/pyschological phenomena.