Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

webfact

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Understand but if KN95 an N95 masks which I believe have been tested for pm2.5 are not fitted properly then there really is no point. It just becomes a fashion accessory. Interestingly there seems to have been no scientific and peer reviewed studies about the efficacy of mask wearing and covid-19. Funny really because the year the Chinese let covid out was the same year or time thereabouts that PM 2.5 was making the news and people were wearing masks for the pollution. Again if not properly fitted they are next to useless.

I could not give a flying <deleted> if they are Kn or N or how they are worn.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it... I mean unless the bank is extremely busy its rather pointless. 

I don’t mind wearing the mask if asked to (no issues there)...  I’m more interested in thought processes and reasoning in such situations and whether the request is borne of critical thought or simply ‘doing something because someone thinks it should be done’... (look at us we’re being careful - mentality). 

It's a bit ironic that a society which pays scant attention to safety (burning garbage, agricultural waste and forests causing toxic air pollution, dangerous driving, poor maintenance inspections) could lecture anyone on "safety". I think the mask has an almost superstitious association with it. 

I mean, Singapore, which at one time was very strict with mask wearing has now largely abandoned the habit now that it's voluntary. Singapore is also a society that can be taken seriously, because they're consistent. They are careful drivers. They don't throw their garbage out the window and they certainly don't burn it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If we accept the figure that 5% were wearing face masks before covid. 

And now, after Covid 5% are not... Do you really think that all / most / the majority of those who are now wearing masks are doing so because of pollution that has always existed ???

How does that explain most people wearing masks in shopping malls and supermarkets where the air is clean ?

NO... the majority of mask wearers are not wearing masks because coincidentally through covid they found some new understanding of air-pollution...  They are wearing them because they did through covid and most don't want to be different and risk drawing undue attention now (i.e. bad citizens - not mask wearing)... 

Exactly right. They never stopped wearing them. Air pollution has only been an issue for the past 2 months and it has now improved in Bangkok. Ironically, despite the air quality in Bangkok being bad 2-3 weeks ago, I've noticed an uptick in Thais taking off their masks outdoors, but there has been little change in mask wearing habits indoors.

Pre-Covid, only 1% of Thais ever wore masks. I doubt it was anywhere remotely close to 5%, except briefly, when the government encouraged it in Bangkok in October 2019. 

If Thais were concerned only about outdoor air quality, then they'd wear either an N95 mask, or better yet, a gas mask and then only outdoors and only during times of bad air in the 100-150 US AQI range or above (which means for the past 2 months up north, but no longer in Bangkok). At the same time, they'd stop wearing masks indoors, as it's just silly.

At this point though, I can't see how any Thai is still looking at another Thai who isn't wearing a mask and thinking "bad citizen". Perhaps back in July or August, but we're now approaching April 2023. 

It's almost comical now, because Indians, Middle Eastern tourists, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Vietnamese and even the Chinese are largely not wearing masks, either in their own country or while they're visiting or living in Thailand. So it's not an Asian thing, it's a strange ingrained Thai habit.

I can understand, in a country like that Thailand that it might take a few days or weeks to change, but it's been more than 9 months and we still see 75-80% of Thais masking up in downtown Bangkok malls and 90-95% in suburban areas. By comparison, 20% of Hong Kongers removed their masks the day the mandate was scrapped on March 1. Why is it that they could do that but not Thais? 

Another strange peculiarity I've noticed are Thai habits abroad. A university lecturer I know is down in Penang at present. She's basically the only one making a presentation or giving a lecture while masked. I'm 100% certain she wore a mask on the flight down. Another Thai I know now studies in Brisbane, Australia. I saw a photo of her wearing a mask at the airport for a flight back to Thailand a couple of months back. 

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What's happening in our respective regions isn't really the issue is it. The Rooster is speaking of Bangkok where some 22% of the Thai population live and his observations on which this thread is based.

But for the record, I live near Sakon Nakhon where the the reported occurrence of Covid has been very low throughout and now it's not even worth bothering about. And yet the percentage of the population still wearing masks is still very high, probably in the order of 80% or more and yet there are no restrictions anywhere that I have so far encountered.

We do not have poor air quality even in the 'burning season', so I can only put this down to compulsive behaviour. It's become a habit.

Cross the border to nearby Tha Khaek in Laos and the % of mask wearing drops down to less than 10%! 

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Exactly right. They never stopped wearing them. Air pollution has only been an issue for the past 2 months and it has now improved in Bangkok. Ironically, despite the air quality in Bangkok being bad 2-3 weeks ago, I've noticed an uptick in Thais taking off their masks outdoors, but there has been little change in mask wearing habits indoors.

Pre-Covid, only 1% of Thais ever wore masks. I doubt it was anywhere remotely close to 5%, except briefly, when the government encouraged it in Bangkok in October 2019. 

If Thais were concerned only about outdoor air quality, then they'd wear either an N95 mask, or better yet, a gas mask and then only outdoors and only during times of bad air in the 100-150 US AQI range or above (which means for the past 2 months up north, but no longer in Bangkok). At the same time, they'd stop wearing masks indoors, as it's just silly.

At this point though, I can't see how any Thai is still looking at another Thai who isn't wearing a mask and thinking "bad citizen". Perhaps back in July or August, but we're now approaching April 2023. 

It's almost comical now, because Indians, Middle Eastern tourists, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Vietnamese and even the Chinese are largely not wearing masks, either in their own country or while they're visiting or living in Thailand. So it's not an Asian thing, it's a strange ingrained Thai habit.

I can understand, in a country like that Thailand that it might take a few days or weeks to change, but it's been more than 9 months and we still see 75-80% of Thais masking up in downtown Bangkok malls and 90-95% in suburban areas. By comparison, 20% of Hong Kongers removed their masks the day the mandate was scrapped on March 1. Why is it that they could do that but not Thais? 

Another strange peculiarity I've noticed are Thai habits abroad. A university lecturer I know is down in Penang at present. She's basically the only one making a presentation or giving a lecture while masked. I'm 100% certain she wore a mask on the flight down. Another Thai I know now studies in Brisbane, Australia. I saw a photo of her wearing a mask at the airport for a flight back to Thailand a couple of months back. 

Who's <deleted> did you pull all those percentage numbers from ?

20 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I spent a week in Australia’s Gold Coast last month, and there were heaps of Japanese tourists there, speaking Japanese. Direct flights from Japan. I didn’t see a single one wearing a mask, in shopping malls or on packed public transport. I wonder if part of the appeal of Australia as a holiday destination for Japanese is that it’s now a place where they can escape from Maskland.

I’d just disagree with Rooster’s estimate that 1 person in 20 in Bangkok was wearing a mask pre pandemic. I’d guess less than 1 in a hundred, unusual to see someone in a mask.

Mate of mine returned from Thailand last month. He said masks were absolutely mandatory on airport bus to Pattaya and on Bangkok BTS. If I finally return to my place in Thailand, December at earliest, I assume that I wouldn’t have to wear one in a taxi? Maybe promise driver a good tip?

On the bus from the airport to Pattaya absolutely no one wears a mask. I've driven past this bus too many times to count over past months (and also the one to Hua Hin) - it's the one to catch if you don't want to wear a mask! If you want to feel uncomfortable, you catch a minivan or bus on a routing only Thais take, but if you want to feel like things are back to normal, any bus between Bangkok and Pattaya qualifies. Sometimes even the driver isn't masked. 

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

1% wearing masks pre-covid seems about right aside from a few days 2018 with heavy pollution, might be more accurate to say a fractional % ranging from 0 to 1%.  This notion that 'thais masked before covid' seems to imply that a significant amount did, rather than just the observation that masks were available and at least some Thais had worn one at some point, again sub 1%, some people have some twisted memory on this fact.

Checked with hong kong friend,  the de-masked number is well beyond 20% now, he estimates about 50%.

90-95% in bangkok seems right, edge closer to 95% imo

Which percentages are you arguing with?

Edited by Snugs08
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Very easy to determine for yourself. Look around you and you'll get an idea. If you count 100 people and only 5 aren't wearing a mask, that means 95% are. 

The 20% of Hong Kongers removing their masks is based upon news articles that were released on the day the mandate ended. That was day 1. I have a strong suspicion they're now down to maybe 50% mask wearing, but I can't verify that as I haven't been there post-Covid. I can however tell you about what I've seen in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam, all countries I've visited over the past few months. I don't even need to mention Europe and Australia - particularly the former, where you count the number of mask wearers using just two hands and that was 6 months ago!

2 hours ago, transam said:

You ain't heard of Thai air pollution either, it seems.............????

Tell me sir, why do Thais wear masks indoors, to the tune of 95% in most parts of the country?

Why is it there was no transition between Covid and the pollution crisis?

Why is it that ironically...I'm seeing somewhat fewer Thais wearing masks outdoors over the past 3-4 weeks, but the same percentage indoors?

Is it that they're wearing them because everyone else is? Because some are still afraid of Covid but not afraid of pollution?

oh that's right of course it is. Thais barely wore masks due to pollution pre-Covid and most are only wearing useless surgical or cloth masks. You'd need a gas mask to survive in Mae Sai or Pai right now, yet I'm sure fewer Thais are wearing masks there than in Bangkok, where the air is a lot cleaner. 

10 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

On the bus from the airport to Pattaya absolutely no one wears a mask. I've driven past this bus too many times to count over past months (and also the one to Hua Hin) - it's the one to catch if you don't want to wear a mask! If you want to feel uncomfortable, you catch a minivan or bus on a routing only Thais take, but if you want to feel like things are back to normal, any bus between Bangkok and Pattaya qualifies. Sometimes even the driver isn't masked. 

Thanks for that. My mate’s back in Thailand next month, and I’ll ask him again when he returns to Oz.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd agree - in 2018 it was about 1 in 100 people walking around wearing masks in Bangkok (obviously for pollution reasons)...  It was also probably about 1 in 30 motorcyclists (at a guess).

The BTS has an announcement asking people to wear masks but I dont think its mandatory. 

I wear a mask on the BTS because I’m asked to.

No real issues with that, but as we are having the discussion on this forum, I don’t think mask wearing for the purposes of Covid-19 is necessary any longer. 

IF someone wants to protect themselves, thats up to them - they should be choosing an N-95 mask through, not one of the useless surgical masks (same goes for protection against pollution). 

Other than the BTS I have not worn a mask in Bangkok for about a year, there has simply been no need.

That said, I have stayed at a couple of hotels that have a mask policy...  at breakfast in a room full of people the mask on - mask off palaver is rather ridiculous... 

I don't think any hotels still have a mask policy. Maybe some still continued with this prior to the end of the state of emergency that ended on September 30, but I can't imagine any still doing so now. I've stayed at countless hotels (and also came just for the breakfast buffet for others), mainly since October and not one cares about mask wearing anymore. Even Thai guests are now generally no longer putting on masks to grab breakfast, especially at beachside locations such as Trat, Krabi or Hua Hin. No one else around them is either and quite often even the staff aren't wearing them at these locations. 

Sizzler removed their old mask signs months ago and now it's not just the touristy locations where people go up and grab salad from the buffet without a mask. Even at suburban malls with few tourists and only small numbers of expats such as Central Bang Na and Mega Bang Na, you see the occasional Thai diner (usually male) go up to the salar bar without wearing a mask. 

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Nope, I was on the Sky  to their peer pressure Train in Bangkok, cars are full of Thai's. I'm sure they were giving me the evil eye until I succumbed and put on my mask. Of course it could be the only thing I saw on their faces were the eyes and the forehead sometimes.

How could you tell? I avoid trying to read the facial expressions from people wearing masks as you can't read their facial cues as they have none. 

You succumbed to the pressure of everyone else around you masking. I don't think anyone gave you the "stinkeye" - maybe if you were talking about back in July or August, but as of 2023, most Thais don't bat an eyelid anymore, even if they can't stop the habit themselves. 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:42 PM, TigerandDog said:

have to disagree with your opinion about mask wearing. Some are wearing because of the pollution, which you made mention of, but many are still wearing them in supermarkets etc because C19 is still out there. My wife and I returned from Pattaya on Sunday, where we did not wear masks, but we did on the plane, and this morning we have both tested positive to C19. The fact that we both started to feel unwell on Sunday would indicate that we came in contact with one or more carriers of C19 whilst in Pattaya, and the majority of people we were in contact with were farangs, who like us did not wear masks. I did not see a single Thai who was not wearing a mask. So IMHO I think you need to reassess your thoughts about mask wearing as C19 is still about and most likely it is farangs who are spreading it.

Are you Anutin's advisor? 

• Sad 1

First force everyone to wear a mask that doesn't help....specially these made from normal clothes fabric.
Than a few month later force everyone to NOT wear a mask even they are helpful against all the dust in the air.

Maybe everyone should take a minute look into the mirror and ask themself if they are a totalitarian.

Everyone should relax....if you like a mask wear it, if not don't wear....similar as with the motorbike helmet in Thailand.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, Thingamabob said:

Nobody should be criticised for wearing a mask if they want to.

Actually, they should be, but if they want to continue wearing one it's up to them. In other words - I wouldn't tell someone to stop wearing a mask, but I think I am entitled to criticize it as it doesn't make any sense. It's a sign someone can't think for themselves, is jittery and easy to scare. 

The single exception would be wearing an appropriate gas mask up in Mae Sai or Chiang Rai - that would be a sensible thing to do right now. Wearing a mask inside a mall? Pointless. 

During the mandate, far more people were being criticized for not wearing one than those who are being criticized now for still wearing one. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think there ‘could be’ a problem with it.. (everyone wearing a mask). 

When society conforms in wearing a mask there is some social judgement against those who do not conform. There have been examples of people speaking out and deriding others for not wearing a mask. 

Thus, when out and about, in a shopping centre etc and everyone is wearing a mask, we may feel the stares, the occasional ’stink-eye’ and perhaps some ‘colder treatment’ because we haven't conformed and those who are wearing masks may feel some resentment towards us because we are not taking part in the communal ‘don’t put anyone else at danger’ mentality. 

I haven’t worn a mask in Thailand for over a year, my Wife has stopped wearing a mask for the past 6 months... And I don't care about the judgement from others when wearing a mask is so clearly no longer necessary.

But, some people do care about confirming and the judgement of others and thus wear a mask even when they’d prefer not to.

This is why a sensible official stance matters - In a country like Thailand where social conformity is such a significant facet of society there needs to be clear announcements that people no longer need to wear masks.

I feel like I do detect people noticing the lack of a mask being worn. But, I don't see any still eye. It is closer to envy. Wow, you have no fear, and you don't conform. What a state of mind that must be. 

• Like 1

If I was Prime minister I would fine anyone wearing a mask 1,000 baht for one week just to get the Thais out of the habit of wearing the silly things.....After one week they would be free to wear the masks till the day they die...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

First force everyone to wear a mask that doesn't help....specially these made from normal clothes fabric.
Than a few month later force everyone to NOT wear a mask even they are helpful against all the dust in the air.

Maybe everyone should take a minute look into the mirror and ask themself if they are a totalitarian.

Everyone should relax....if you like a mask wear it, if not don't wear....similar as with the motorbike helmet in Thailand.

No, that's not what anyone here is saying.

Some have made comments that Thais need to be told (or are waiting to be told) when to remove their masks.

That's silly because it will NEVER happen. I also don't think it should happen. Let people make their own decisions.

Anutin, in a speech from July 2022 stated that "we the government will never tell Thais when to stop wearing masks". Mask wearing was made voluntary a couple of weeks before he gave that speech AND in recent months not only him but even Prayuth and other politicians have stopped wearing them, which should be a subtle sign for the population at large to stop.

What I believe should be encouraged is being able to think for yourself and only wearing a mask if you're sick (better yet, stay home) or a high quality mask when there's outdoor pollution in your area, which is considered to be in the unhealthy range or worse. 

I barely wore a mask at all during Covid or now, but I have enough sense to put one on for the few minutes I'm working in a dusty environment as that's what they're designed for. 

A Thai on the other hand, pre-Covid at least, would hardly ever wear a mask in such a situation but for Covid, they're wearing them all day and never seem to take them off.

I think if only say 10 or 20% of the population were still wearing masks we could put the whole mask wearing thing to bed, as is the case if you're describing the situation in Cambodia. Hardly anyone is still complaining about mask wearing in Cambodia, because hardly anyone has been wearing one since perhaps mid 2022. It's similar in Laos, except among government workers and those catching the Lao-China railway, where mask wearing, though no longer mandatory, is still the norm among locals and Asian tourists (particularly Thais), but only there. As soon as Laotians leave the railway station, they remove their masks. 

When it comes to helmets though - these should be enforced because they are proven to be effective in lessening the impact of head injuries in the event of an accident, particularly a low speed collision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I feel like I do detect people noticing the lack of a mask being worn. But, I don't see any still eye. It is closer to envy. Wow, you have no fear, and you don't conform. What a state of mind that must be. 

I agree. At this point it's envy, not fear or giving a stink eye because you don't conform. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:00 PM, KhunBENQ said:

The problem is that I feel unwell to be the only (farang) without a mask at 7/11, malls etc.

After a few days in maskless Pattaya I do first stop at a pump in Isan and basically all people walk with masks even on the parking lot.

When you see people here without mask it's usually not the rural folks but neatly dressed city dwellers.

Down with the masks where they make absolutely no sense!

Funny enough: mask on the motorbike can be argued about.

With that amount of dust and stinky Diesel fumes it might make sense :biggrin:

Huh? I think it's the exact opposite. When I was in Hua Hin recently, you could spot who was from Bangkok - it was the family who all masked up (including toddlers under 2) while seated at a seafood restaurant and continued wearing their masks until the food arrived. Then, as soon as dinner was finished, they'd all put their masks back on and walk back to their cars. They'd also wear masks on the beach.

Locals generally wouldn't be wearing masks at all, except in the malls and supermarkets and of course school children. 

In rural Isarn, I saw relatively few masks on a recent trip, but you're right, go to Terminal 21 Nakorn Ratchasima and it's 95% mask wearing inside. At Central Udon Thani, most of the maskless shoppers are Laotians visiting from Vientiane. The Thais are all masked up. It's so strange seeing how differently Thais behave compared with Laotians. In Thailand so many masks, cross the Mekong and it's so few. 

Edited by Highlandman

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

No, that's not what anyone here is saying.

Some have made comments that Thais need to be told (or are waiting to be told) when to remove their masks.

That's silly because it will NEVER happen. I also don't think it should happen. Let people make their own decisions.

Anutin, in a speech from July 2022 stated that "we the government will never tell Thais when to stop wearing masks". Mask wearing was made voluntary a couple of weeks before he gave that speech AND in recent months not only him but even Prayuth and other politicians have stopped wearing them, which should be a subtle sign for the population at large to stop.

What I believe should be encouraged is being able to think for yourself and only wearing a mask if you're sick (better yet, stay home) or a high quality mask when there's outdoor pollution in your area, which is considered to be in the unhealthy range or worse. 

I barely wore a mask at all during Covid or now, but I have enough sense to put one on for the few minutes I'm working in a dusty environment as that's what they're designed for. 

A Thai on the other hand, pre-Covid at least, would hardly ever wear a mask in such a situation but for Covid, they're wearing them all day and never seem to take them off.

I think if only say 10 or 20% of the population were still wearing masks we could put the whole mask wearing thing to bed, as is the case if you're describing the situation in Cambodia. Hardly anyone is still complaining about mask wearing in Cambodia, because hardly anyone has been wearing one since perhaps mid 2022. It's similar in Laos, except among government workers and those catching the Lao-China railway, where mask wearing, though no longer mandatory, is still the norm among locals and Asian tourists (particularly Thais), but only there. As soon as Laotians leave the railway station, they remove their masks. 

When it comes to helmets though - these should be enforced because they are proven to be effective in lessening the impact of head injuries in the event of an accident, particularly a low speed collision.

Here in the company no one wear mask anymore, but when they go outside ridding their motorbike the put on their masks (no it is not for pollution). A few weeks ago our foreman was sick....looked sick and was coughing. He didn't wear a mask inside....but did so ridding the motorbike home.

It got something like wearing a TShirt. You can walk outside without TShirt (as man), but you don't do it.
Does not seem logic.

During peak-covid...staff worked very separated from each other, all wore masks in the company. When lunch time, they sit together skin on skin (not enough place) eat and talk and laugh without mask. Afterwards they put on the mask again and distance.....
Doesn't seem strange to them...

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:05 PM, Joseph98765 said:

yeah! right? we go to a restaurant and now we feel more confident that the food won't be poisoned with their saliva...555

but it doesn't matter....covid might be over, but now we have another reason more realistic to wear a mask....at least until the rain comes.

Thais will still be wearing their masks once the rain arrives.

In fact, people have told me - a Thai friend asked a gardener why he's still wearing a mask and the reply was "because I don't want to get fined" (believing there was still a mandate in place). This was maybe 2 months ago.

A bus conductor who kicked off a Thai for refusing to wear a mask in Pathum Thani (part of greater Bangkok) back in December claimed he didn't know that there was no more mask mandate. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Very well said.

This is exactly what needs to happen and soon.

I believe it'd be an election winner........Bring back the Land of Smiles!! 

Seriously, I don't think Thais understand how much the rest of the globe has moved on from mask wearing. The world is simply a a better place, when most peoples faces are uncovered. 

Since about a month or two, Prayuth and many other politicians are no longer wearing masks. I think this is a subtle indication to get Thais to stop masking.

Another one is the relative lack of Covid news since probably around February. Once the initial hysteria over the Chinese coming was over, Thais actually started removing their masks quite quickly, up to a point anyway.

Most are still wearing them of course (especially in the cities) but I'm seeing a noticeable decrease in downtown Bangkok malls, where it's down to perhaps 75% among Thais. Central pattaya is down to perhaps 30-40% mask wearing among customers; 2 months ago it was still 50-60%. I'm including everyone in this statistic, Thais and foreigners alike. Among Thais only, 75% were wearing masks at Central Pattaya a couple of months back, whereas now it's maybe 50-60%. 

46 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Tell me sir, why do Thais wear masks indoors, to the tune of 95% in most parts of the country?

Why is it there was no transition between Covid and the pollution crisis?

Why is it that ironically...I'm seeing somewhat fewer Thais wearing masks outdoors over the past 3-4 weeks, but the same percentage indoors?

Is it that they're wearing them because everyone else is? Because some are still afraid of Covid but not afraid of pollution?

oh that's right of course it is. Thais barely wore masks due to pollution pre-Covid and most are only wearing useless surgical or cloth masks. You'd need a gas mask to survive in Mae Sai or Pai right now, yet I'm sure fewer Thais are wearing masks there than in Bangkok, where the air is a lot cleaner. 

I don't go into Thai folks houses to see if they are wearing a mask, but I can tell you that the folk I actually know do not wear masks in doors.

I must point out though, most of them have had C19, one had a miscarriage whist dealing with it. It was also strange to them that Mrs.T and I have not had C19, which I put down to my/our regime...

Near forgot, all my farangy friends have had C19 too...????

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it... I mean unless the bank is extremely busy its rather pointless. 

I don’t mind wearing the mask if asked to (no issues there)...  I’m more interested in thought processes and reasoning in such situations and whether the request is borne of critical thought or simply ‘doing something because someone thinks it should be done’... (look at us we’re being careful - mentality). 

I think I have said enough on the subject with yourself, we seem to have totally different views on the subject which pointless continually repeating, even staff don't like my points regarding mask types which was a response/reply to a mask point...????

17 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't go into Thai folks houses to see if they are wearing a mask, but I can tell you that the folk I actually know do not wear masks in doors.

I must point out though, most of them have had C19, one had a miscarriage whist dealing with it. It was also strange to them that Mrs.T and I have not had C19, which I put down to my/our regime...

Near forgot, all my farangy friends have had C19 too...????

You're still in full on panic mode. You've had your shots but still don't feel protected. Whoever told you that mask wearing should be permanent?

I've seen neighbors wear their masks inside their own homes - not because I'm curious but because I couldn't not see it. They get out of their cars and continue wearing the mask while in their driveway. I've also seen the odd neighbor come out of their house wearing a mask.

None of Thailand's neighbors think this way - mask wearing in Cambodia is below 10% right now and in Laos it's at maybe 20%. In Myanmar next to no one wears a mask.

Why can they move on but not Thais? I'm sure they're not dying of Covid either. They're simply embracing life as they should be. 

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mberbae said:

Rooster can't handle face masks so he wants the entire Thai population to

ditch it.  It hampers social interaction, he says. You mean to say, he interacts

with EVERYONE who doesn't wear a face mask in Pre Covid days ?

C'mon dude, stay maskless in your own lane, but let those who wish to safeguard

their health ( from Covid or bad AQ )  be allowed to do so.

No, he's making a curious observation.

For every day that goes by with most Thais still masking, it gets more pointless and more foreigners (not just westerners but Asian foreigners) start scratching their heads wondering: "Why?"

Hong Kongers coming to Thailand for the first time in the post-Covid period are probably wondering if there's still a mandate in place. Apparently in less than one month, half the Hong Kong population has managed to ditch their mask, while in Bangkok it's taken 9 months for maybe 10-15% of local residents to do the same. 

Edited by Highlandman
  • Thumbs Up 1