Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

webfact

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

You're still in full on panic mode. You've had your shots but still don't feel protected. Whoever told you that mask wearing should be permanent?

I've seen neighbors wear their masks inside their own homes - not because I'm curious but because I couldn't not see it. They get out of their cars and continue wearing the mask while in their driveway. I've also seen the odd neighbor come out of their house wearing a mask.

None of Thailand's neighbors think this way - mask wearing in Cambodia is below 10% right now and in Laos it's at maybe 20%. In Myanmar next to no one wears a mask.

Why can they move on but not Thais? I'm sure they're not dying of Covid either. They're simply embracing life as they should be. 

But I am not in panic mode, never have been, I just use my head to stay safe from a bug where there are many opinions on safety regarding it.

I also know when to wear a crash hat, or seat belt, even how to cross the road safely.

So far I have got to a ripe old age following my own instinct, not yours or anyone else's....????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

No, he's making a curious observation.

For every day that goes by with most Thais still masking, it gets more pointless and more foreigners (not just westerners but Asian foreigners) start scratching their heads wondering: "Why?"

Hong Kongers coming to Thailand for the first time in the post-Covid period are probably wondering if there's still a mandate in place. Apparently in less than one month, half the Hong Kong population has managed to ditch their mask, while in Bangkok it's taken 9 months for maybe 10-15% of local residents to do the same. 

I don't scratch my head, only folk like you do that, I mind my own business...

Do you do the same wiv blokes who wear wigs............????

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

Many studies have shown, masks work to a degree. You do not believe any of them and the sight of a person wearing a mask offends you. Moreover, you find it deeply satisfying to say anyone who does not agree with you, cannot think for themselves, are jittery, easy to scare, basically 'sheeple'. Well, bigots do what bigots must.

If people, Thai people, wear masks in Thailand, what business is it of yours, or Rooster for that matter? It's none of your business. Relax, chill, mark this as a wake up call, you need another hobby; say Wednesday night bingo or shuffleboard.

Many studies have shown masks don't work, period. 

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The mask wearers are getting a bit huffy. Grow some thicker skin if you can't take a little criticism. 

I've got a few fat mates that have your attitude, they say I'm wasting my time being healthy, the banter is endless, always asking me to the pub.

My days sitting at the bar for 6 hours talking crap are over.

I'm enjoying being healthy, not waking up with hangovers regularly.

I keep telling them to mind their own business.

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cricky said:

I've got a few fat mates that have your attitude, they say I'm wasting my time being healthy, the banter is endless, always asking me to the pub.

My days sitting at the bar for 6 hours talking crap are over.

I'm enjoying being healthy, not waking up with hangovers regularly.

I keep telling them to mind their own business.

You have more chance of being injured from falling off your soapbox!........................or pulpit...

2 hours ago, transam said:

I don't scratch my head, only folk like you do that, I mind my own business...

Do you do the same wiv blokes who wear wigs............????

Nobody's going around telling strangers to take off their masks. I'm certainly not. Besides, it would probably take years given millions are still wearing them. I do have friends, such as one teacher at an international school, who's been telling his students to remove their masks. Some take his advice, others don't. 

However, I can't believe that Thais are still willing to wear masks in this heat and humidity and especially after all this time. I wonder how they breathe. Don't they get massive headaches at the end of the day? I would get a headache just from wearing an N95 mask for 10 minutes, which I would put on to protect myself from dust if I'm cutting some strips of wood or something. Imagine wearing something that restricts your breathing all day for well over 3 years?? 

It's all so strange. To me it's absolutely demoralizing. Even more sad is seeing innocent children, many under 2, wearing masks, which is an asphyxiation hazard and strongly discouraged, by the WHO and other health bodies. 

In every other Asian country (some of which had stricter penalties for not wearing a mask, such as Singapore) the population has now largely moved on. 

I do remember one radio broadcast in December 2022. As I was driving to Malaysia, the female presenter (this was somewhere around Nakorn Sri Thammarat) was telling Thais not to leave home unless necessary. Wear a mask at all times. Don't invite guests over. She was ranting on and on about Covid for about 15 minutes! This, in December 2022? No wonder Thais are so fearful, when this kind of extreme propaganda is still being disseminated months after the end of the state of emergency and during endemic status. It should be illegal to scare people to death like that. 

Meanwhile in Malaysia, there was just ONE reference to mask made on the radio the entire time I was there (I listened to the radio for hours at a time, while driving). It was basically "if you're sick with the flu or flu like symptoms, stay home or wear a mask". The rest of the time they were focusing more on washing food properly and washing your hands, as there was a flooding crisis unfolding. 

It proves just how differently the mentality is. One country is scaring its citizens to death, the other takes a measured, common sense approach. 

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have more chance of being injured from falling off your soapbox!........................or pulpit...

What are you on about?

Who said anything about being injured?

You better halve that medication, you're waffling.

Oh, I get it now, you're a fat person and I've offended you.

Too bad.

Edited by Cricky

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Many studies have shown that masks do work. Fullstop!

Sponsored by mask manufacturers? Experiments prove they don't work, period.

Gas masks work to protect you against PM2.5, but surgical and cloth masks providing protection against a flu virus, which is tinier than the pores in your mask not to mention how loosely most of them fit around your mouth and nose? I don't think so. 

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If we accept the figure that 5% were wearing face masks before covid. 

And now, after Covid 5% are not... Do you really think that all / most / the majority of those who are now wearing masks are doing so because of pollution that has always existed ???

How does that explain most people wearing masks in shopping malls and supermarkets where the air is clean ?

NO... the majority of mask wearers are not wearing masks because coincidentally through covid they found some new understanding of air-pollution...  They are wearing them because they did through covid and most don't want to be different and risk drawing undue attention now (i.e. bad citizens - not mask wearing)... 

Not sure what you are waffling on about but during covid they were worn because.......... covid.

No flies on you is there Sherlock !!

Of course you aren’t sure... you haven’t learned to read properly yet !!  ‘BEFORE’ covid !!...   

7 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Rooster love the keyboard warriors spoof… ..I wear a mask when at hospital or places with crowds of people… I’m 68 years old and not interested in catching a serious cold…

So you are wearing a mask for a perfectly logical and sensible reason....   

You aren’t wearing a mask just because everyone else is.

• Haha 1

I agree with you about the mask wearing at school and i know you said you will have a word with the educational officer at the school at the start of the new term but i fear masks will now be part of a school uniform. because if they haven't ditched them now they never will. Also if i was a parent i would just tell my kids not to wear the masks as its not mandatory and maybe the schools have their own rules but if every parent told their kids not to wear them they would soon ditch the ridiculous rule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can assure in general its nothing to do with the thais not wanting to be different. as i get the blue buses regularly in Phuket and the general majority of passengers are tourists but a lot of time if Thais are on board they will wear masks. so  in that situation they're the ones actually being different, as all the foreigners are mask free.              And it isn't a case of them not wanting to be different to the rest of the thais because for starters ive seen it when its just one Thai on the bus wearing a mask, so they're no other thais to see them and also I've seen 2 or 3 thais on the bus and one of them is wearing a mask and the other one or two aren't .  So,  i think a lot of them must still hold their irrational fears over covid.

8 hours ago, Dcheech said:
  9 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I think I am entitled to criticize it as it doesn't make any sense. It's a sign someone can't think for themselves, is jittery and easy to scare. 

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

So,  i think a lot of them must still hold their irrational fears over covid.

Good to know what you think of Thais and Thai society. BTW, absolutely positive Thai people care about your opinions as much as bird excrement on a wall. Still it is amazing to see that 'western missionary culture' & saving the ignorant heathen, is still going as strong today as 150 years ago. Albeit, the religious side has been dropped.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:06 AM, George Bowman said:

Almost every day, I see a motorcyclist zipping down the road looking at their phone and not wearing a helmet. But, they have a face mask on for protection.... 

Thai logic... or (total) lack of

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Maybe you should take your own advice.

You tried being the hero making a stupid statement below.

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The mask wearers are getting a bit huffy. Grow some thicker skin if you can't take a little criticism. 

You are confused dude

Mind your own business, people wearing masks are not getting a bit huffy, it is their prerogative, it's upto them.

Why the criticism, there's no need for it, leave us ALONE.

I would be out of order saying that the non mask wearers 'grow thicker skin'.

You are not funny.

You are out of order.

This immature 'Rooster' needs to grow up and stop causing conflict between members by posting childish articles.

AN mods shouldn't allow this rediculous article.

PRETTY PLEASE, Mods, remove this unintelligent, mindless, ignorant article.

I reckon this Roosters intention is to antagonize, he should be given a warning, a suspension for disturbing the peace amongst members.

The guy has lost it!

Edited by Cricky

2 hours ago, Cricky said:

You are confused dude

Mind your own business, people wearing masks are not getting a bit huffy, it is their prerogative, it's upto them.

You are not funny.

You are out of order.

This immature 'Rooster' needs to grow up and stop causing conflict between members by posting childish articles.

I reckon this Roosters intention is to antagonize, he should be given a warning, a suspension for disturbing the peace amongst members.

The guy has lost it!

Surely Rooster's job is to promote 'robust' ( how I love that word) discussion on this website. Playing devil's advocate, click baiting, whatever. 

The answer lies in his name, Rooster: early to rise, 5 am, making a god awful din, crowing non stop, disturbing sleeping, peaceful TV members 

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry. Yes of course your opinion is correct. Having lived here 18 yrs full time,

Let us not play the 'I have have been here a long time' card.... Perhaps you have lived here 1 year 18 times! You don't get it... it is their business, their decision, their country. You presence is probably a little irritating to them, particularly if you keep trying to tell them what to do... and this very board is likely made up of people who are fed up of it all too. YOU are also not qualified in their eyes, and mine. 

3 hours ago, Cricky said:

You are confused dude

You are not funny.

You are out of order.

The guy has lost it!

Pretty neat, I have a fan.

I'll double space each sentence to make my point.

Of course it's up to you to wear a mask, just as I have the right to voice my opinion. See how this works.

The article is not childish, it's a sentiment shared by many. If the mask makes you feel safer from C19, then by all means wear one. For the longest I wore a mask at 7-11 and stores just to blend in and not because I thought it would guard against Covid. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

The article is not childish, it's a sentiment shared by many. If the mask makes you feel safer from C19, then by all means wear one. For the longest I wore a mask at 7-11 and stores just to blend in and not because I thought it would guard against Covid. 

I actually thought it was simply designed to increase traffic here, obviously an emotive subject!

5 hours ago, Cricky said:

You are confused dude

You are not funny.

You are out of order.

The guy has lost it!

You’re certainly no fan of free debate! The cancel culture personified.

5 hours ago, Cricky said:

No, it is important to allow this discussion.

We don't want "Lese Mask-Jeste !!!" 

Mask wearing is a key social issue present in Thailand ( and now,  hardly anywhere else on earth) .

It's not 'up to them' , when mostly now being done solely for social pressure reasons. Discussion and criticism of this absurdity ( absurd in my opinion, yours is clearly different) is part of healthy discourse. There has been some very well considered and constructed comments / analysis  ( see Highlandman and Richard Smith ) that is not just bickering, it's actually valid discussion. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

You're out of your mind mate.

This is not a debate.

It's you wear a mask or not, it's no one's business but mine if I wear a mask.

The OP is asking PRETTY PLEASE ditch the face mask. 

Up to bloody me if I ditch the mask, mind your own business. 

CygnusX1, You need to re educate yourself, subjects that are worthy of a debate

Edited by Cricky

53 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I'll give you an example...

OK, I'm going to assume that you are fat (you are anti mask so you have no regard for your health, out and about in the pollution, maskless), I approach you and tell you to ditch the processed food that you are eating.......it's none of my business.

It's not debatable, it's UP to YOU

Edited by Cricky