Rooster Reports 7: Hello Thai people: The pandemic's over now, pretty please, ditch the face masks! 

webfact

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Because they can think for themselves, perhaps find it better with the mask, especially riding bikes, which is exactly what Mrs.T does, NOW....

My missus puts a mask on only to go into shops, the bank etc. Often just forgets to take it off. I remember plenty of times in the 1st year of this completely forgetting to take my mask off. Now I forget to take one with me e.g. if I have to go into the bank as they wont let you in without one. 

The thais continuing to wear masks is totally about social pressure now. When my thai friends or work colleagues go out of thailand, their fb photos all show them not wearing masks. 

Yet when they return to thailand, the masks go firmly and consistently back on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, poskat said:

The thais continuing to wear masks is totally about social pressure now. When my thai friends or work colleagues go out of thailand, their fb photos all show them not wearing masks. 

Talking to Thai's here at my place of employment they tell me the reason why they still wear masks is totally about the air pollution now.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Lots of Thais driving alone in their cars wearing them.

I bet some will wear them for the rest of their lives.

There's a certain level of indoctrination Thais can't get over.

Just the other day I went to a coffee shop and steakhouse with my son for lunch after going for a swim at a nearby waterfall.

None of the proprietors wore masks. The whole family was inside the shop as it's school holidays for the children now.

I saw a middle aged couple put on their masks the second they finished chewing their food. They got up and went back to their car. The male came back because he had forgotten his plastic mug inside. I see this all the time - it wasn't even this bad in 2020. Many Thais don't remove their masks until the food arrives and put them back on the second they're done eating. 

Not long ago, I saw a masked mother and her young daughter at the beach. Almost no one else, whether Thai or foreigner, was masked. 

Around New Year, I saw a number of Thais come down to that same beach and splash in the waves, while wearing masks.

Online advertising of a music school for toddlers shows masked 2 year olds!

Thailand is the only country in the world where news anchors wore masks while delivering the news inside the studio.

They've normalized mask wearing to the point it's become a religion.

It's worthy of ridicule but right now my basic response is just to feel sorry for how Thais have by and large been duped into believing mask wearing should be a permanent change in how they live their lives. 

Nearly all other countries have moved on. Brunei - mask wearing is at 10%. This compared with 80% in Bangkok and 90% indoors.

Laos - mask wearing overall at 20%, perhaps 1 in 3 is wearing a mask in Vientiane but barely 5% are wearing one in Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang. If anything, it might be an idea to wear a gas mask in Luang Prabang, given the foul and extremely toxic air there at the moment, though almost no local does. I noticed around 40% of customers and 90% of staff at a bank in Pakse were wearing masks, but by the time I went to a nearby local supermarket no customers were wearing masks except for one Thai male of course. At most other businesses, no masks were worn by staff, let alone customers. 

Cambodia - mask wearing down to 10% and this was in November. Perhaps 25% in Phnom Penh.

Malaysia - mask wearing outdoors at almost zero everywhere except Kuala Lumpur (where it's about 20%). Indoors, such as at malls, perhaps 50%. 

Thailand is like the Japan on SE Asia when it comes to mask wearing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Talking to Thai's here at my place of employment they tell me the reason why they still wear masks is totally about the air pollution now.

That can't be it, since there is more mask wearing indoors than outdoors.

Also, the air quality in Bangkok isn't that bad right now, yet up north, where it's downright hazardous, fewer people are wearing masks.

So I think it's still mostly about social conformity.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

have to disagree with your opinion about mask wearing. Some are wearing because of the pollution, which you made mention of, but many are still wearing them in supermarkets etc because C19 is still out there. My wife and I returned from Pattaya on Sunday, where we did not wear masks, but we did on the plane, and this morning we have both tested positive to C19. The fact that we both started to feel unwell on Sunday would indicate that we came in contact with one or more carriers of C19 whilst in Pattaya, and the majority of people we were in contact with were farangs, who like us did not wear masks. I did not see a single Thai who was not wearing a mask. So IMHO I think you need to reassess your thoughts about mask wearing as C19 is still about and most likely it is farangs who are spreading it.

Oh god.....Wear a mask for your own safety then and SHUT UP about it. Its patently obvious they dont work. If YOU feel they do, good on you. Thais wore masks religiously throughout the pandemic......millions were still infected....probaby most of the country.  I ask you a simple question which you 'should' be able to answer.....

Did the masks stop the spread? 

Yes or no? 

...and on that note..how much did the vaccines stop the spread??

mmmmmmm......

Edited by 248900_1469958220
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Oh god.....Wear a mask for your own safety then and SHUT UP about it. Its patently obvious they dont work. If YOU feel they do, good on you. Thais wore masks religiously throughout the pandemic......millions were still infected....probaby most of the country.  I ask you a simple question which you 'should' be able to answer.....

Yes or no? 

Another that knows nothing............:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, poskat said:

Exactly, it's so strange. I just don't get it, that this is still happening at this late stage, 9 months after the end of the mask mandate. 

In nearby Asian countries, the masks gradually came off between 6-12 months ago and it took them days or a few weeks to move on. I don't understand why Thailand is so different. 

Just now, Highlandman said:

Exactly, it's so strange. I just don't get it, that this is still happening at this late stage, 9 months after the end of the mask mandate. 

In nearby Asian countries, the masks gradually came off between 6-12 months ago and it took them days or a few weeks to move on. I don't understand why Thailand is so different. 

You ain't heard of Thai air pollution either, it seems.............????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

My missus puts a mask on only to go into shops, the bank etc. Often just forgets to take it off. I remember plenty of times in the 1st year of this completely forgetting to take my mask off. Now I forget to take one with me e.g. if I have to go into the bank as they wont let you in without one. 

That's not true. Banks no longer care about masks anymore. 

Just now, redwood1 said:

And yet there are still some Farang mask wearers in Pattaya....They just cant let go of the face diaper....  

It is their choice, not yours, as to why they do, plus, at least they keep their nose in their mask, unlike others sticking their nose into other's business, eh......:ermm:

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a shame. A lot of people believe what they are told by people on TV be that media or politicians. Unfortunately that is not the way the world works now. You have to put the work in yourself finding independent journalists on YouTube or rumble or similar. As to masks my own take was that the hospital type ones might have some benefit. However studies done could not find any statistical difference between those wearing masks in hospital settings and those not wearing them. I think that was Dr John Campbell s  you tube channel. As to the way people actually wear them, it's ludicrous if that mask isn't an air tight seal how can it possibly work. If your a Westerner walking around outside with a mask it indicates to me that you are most likely politically left and that you believe what the main stream media tells you. You probably also like doing what authority figures tell you and you want to belong to a group who all do the same. Up to you I don't care but if you are wearing a mask to not get covid again then absolutely pointless. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

And yet there are still some Farang mask wearers in Pattaya....They just cant let go of the face diaper....  

Not all 'farangs' in Pattaya are obese, some look after themselves and their health.

At times, the air we breath is poor quality, it can be unhealthy, especially when riding a motorcycle.

Edited by Cricky
  • Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

That can't be it, since there is more mask wearing indoors than outdoors.

Also, the air quality in Bangkok isn't that bad right now, yet up north, where it's downright hazardous, fewer people are wearing masks.

So I think it's still mostly about social conformity.

The staff here do not wear masks indoors.

59 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

That's not true. Banks no longer care about masks anymore. 

Well that might be the case where you are but last wk I went to my local branch of Krung Thai forgot to take a mask and they wouldn't let me in.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

The disposable surgical masks (which the majority use because they're cheaper) are as effective against pollution as they are against Omicron. That is to say not effective at all.

48 minutes ago, transam said:
50 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yes or no? 

Another that knows nothing............:coffee1:

I think its a fair point to question whether or not masks stopped the spread - they clearly didn’t. 

Perhaps the better question is if masks limited the extent of the spread of SARS-CoV-2 - I believe it did. 

A lot of the mask discussion argues from the extremes of absolutes, whereby the reality is that on a community / nationwide level at the height of the pandemic when symptoms were serious isolation and mask wearing were effective but not water tight.

The questions now needs to be asked if Covid-19 is still serious enough to necessitate mask wearing, people have used anecdote, but the ‘I know a guy who’ argument is a very poor attempt to punch holes in a an argument involving the general population.

Many nations have decided mask wearing is no longer effective or necessary. 

Thailand has also officially decided mask wearing is no longer effective or necessary, yet much of society still wears a mask.  

Are all these individuals critically evaluating the effectiveness of mask wearing or are they wearing a mask because everyone else is ???

We’ve tried to discuss how mask wearing can impact communication and how that could have a negative impact on society on a whole - comparisons have been made with cultures in which ‘facial covering’ is the norm and used as an example of how those societies differ - we’re not allowed down that path of comparison for some reason...

So, we’ll just have to limit that facet of the discussion to specifically whether or not we believe a society in which communication is hindered is impacted any manner, particularly from a mental health perspective. 

i.e. IF masks impact the ease of communication by hiding, micro-expressions, a passing smiles etc is there any impact to the health of society? is the general mood slightly less than it would be otherwise?

do those very shy people and introverts feels any greater exclusion or isolation?

In a large society these factors could be measurable. 

In the current situation I believe that the social impact of a whole society wearing masks is greater than the benefit they provide to society form a health perspective. 

Note: that is not to contradict the individuals choice to wear a mask due to pollution or when in a crowded environment... But, when society wears masks as a result of the ‘bandwagon effect’ whereby the vast majority are only wearing masks because everyone else is and they don't want to stand out, then I consider the potential advantages of wearing a mask are outweigh by the potential impact of doing so

Now.. we’re not permitted to discuss examples of society where a significant proportion appears to be a negatively impact by such facial covering, so we’ll have to evaluate whether this negative impact is actually a thing or not... 

i.e. Question... In a society of 70 million - IF all are wearing masks would we see an increase those needing treatment for mental heath concerns?, would we see an increase in suicides? Would we see an increase in community crime?....   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The disposable surgical masks (which the majority use because they're cheaper) are as effective against pollution as they are against Omicron. That is to say not effective at all.

I aint going down that rabbit hole with them.

If wearing them outdoors  due to air pollution makes them feel all fuzzy and warm so be it and good luck to them.

But they aint wearing because of covid unlike what Mr Rooster would like one to believe.

8 minutes ago, transam said:
9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I would think it's an individual branch decision.

And a good one.....????

Is it... I mean unless the bank is extremely busy its rather pointless. 

I don’t mind wearing the mask if asked to (no issues there)...  I’m more interested in thought processes and reasoning in such situations and whether the request is borne of critical thought or simply ‘doing something because someone thinks it should be done’... (look at us we’re being careful - mentality). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

If wearing them outdoors  due to air pollution makes them feel all fuzzy and warm so be it and good luck to them.

But they aint wearing because of covid unlike what Mr Rooster would like one to believe.

If we accept the figure that 5% were wearing face masks before covid. 

And now, after Covid 5% are not... Do you really think that all / most / the majority of those who are now wearing masks are doing so because of pollution that has always existed ???

How does that explain most people wearing masks in shopping malls and supermarkets where the air is clean ?

NO... the majority of mask wearers are not wearing masks because coincidentally through covid they found some new understanding of air-pollution...  They are wearing them because they did through covid and most don't want to be different and risk drawing undue attention now (i.e. bad citizens - not mask wearing)... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Understand but if KN95 an N95 masks which I believe have been tested for pm2.5 are not fitted properly then there really is no point. It just becomes a fashion accessory. Interestingly there seems to have been no scientific and peer reviewed studies about the efficacy of mask wearing and covid-19. Funny really because the year the Chinese let covid out was the same year or time thereabouts that PM 2.5 was making the news and people were wearing masks for the pollution. Again if not properly fitted they are next to useless.

Edited by dinsdale

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If we accept the figure that 5% were wearing face masks before covid. 

And now, after Covid 5% are not... Do you really think that all / most / the majority of those who are now wearing masks are doing so because of pollution that has always existed ???

How does that explain most people wearing masks in shopping malls and supermarkets where the air is clean ?

NO... the majority of mask wearers are not wearing masks because coincidentally through covid they found some new understanding of air-pollution...  They are wearing them because they did through covid and most don't want to be different and risk drawing undue attention now (i.e. bad citizens - not mask wearing)... 

Not sure what you are waffling on about but during covid they were worn because.......... covid.

No flies on you is there Sherlock !!