Elon Musk: Twitter boss announces blue tick shake-up

onthedarkside

image.png.0e7b54cffe90676aab15cfa86b413184.png

From 15 April only verified subscribers will have posts recommended to other users and be allowed to vote in polls.

Under the policy, posts from non-paying accounts will not be included in the "For you" stream of recommended tweets.

Last week, the firm said it would remove the verified status of some "legacy" accounts, which date from before Mr Musk bought the firm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65095684

image.png.42b24a2222bfb94de3ac924f9a942790.png

56 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

This is in response to a general unwillingness to pay this creep for verified status.

Yes I think it's one way of trying to increase revenue through paying users which is fair. The feature regarding polls though I think is a result of his binding poll asking if he should be removed as CEO which got him essentially fired ???? He probably had someone make a breakdown what the poll result would have been if only paid verified users were counted and saw they'd have voted in his favor. I think there's even a slight chance that he'll re-run this poll later this year once the changes he wants are implemented.

Very ironic on more than one level. 

First:  Speech is free, but if you want anyone beyond your immediate circle of friends to hear/read it, you have to pay.

Second:  It is supposed to eliminate bots.  However it does little to dissuade those behind troll farms.  Paying for a few hundred or thousand "verified" accounts for paid trolls would be chump change for governments behind such tactics.  Eliminating the noise from bots does them a favor.

Here's a crazy idea:  Only sell "verified" accounts to people willing to verify they are behind the posts.  That would significantly slow down both bots and professional trolls.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yes I think it's one way of trying to increase revenue through paying users which is fair. The feature regarding polls though I think is a result of his binding poll asking if he should be removed as CEO which got him essentially fired ???? He probably had someone make a breakdown what the poll result would have been if only paid verified users were counted and saw they'd have voted in his favor. I think there's even a slight chance that he'll re-run this poll later this year once the changes he wants are implemented.

Rightwing vote rigging, it’s a thing.

Article also said this: 

Mr Musk said the changes were "the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over. It is otherwise a hopeless losing battle."

Certainly not something I would know about. But I'm guessing Elon Musk knows more about it than anyone posting to this topic.

• Thanks 1