IOC recommends Russian and Belarusian individual athletes compete as neutrals

onthedarkside

image.png.20cc42024da3efefe58a9f3a70a2cdd9.png

The International Olympic Committee has recommended that Russian and Belarusian athletes are allowed to compete under a neutral flag - but has yet to make a decision on Paris 2024.

This recommendation only extends to individual athletes, not teams.

The IOC's executive board has also told international federations and event organisers that athletes and support personnel who actively support the war in Ukraine, or who are contracted to the military, should not be permitted to compete.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/65102910

image.png.42b24a2222bfb94de3ac924f9a942790.png

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Quite right too!

It is not the fault of individual Russians that their country is the Pariah state it now is.

Imagine spending most of your young live dreaming and training for this and having it snatched away by Putin!

I feel sorry for the athletes, but glad the organisation of the European games has a view different from yours. Russians should know their country is a pariah state.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

I feel sorry for the athletes, but glad the organisation of the European games has a view different from yours. Russians should know their country is a pariah state.

And this action by the IOC of letting them compete as individuals but nor "representing" their country emphasises that point with too much harm to the athletes.

What has your comment on the European games  (whatever that is) got to do with the IOC decision?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, stevenl said:

O, it doesn't emphasize that point. Russian and Belarus athletes would be competing and making positive headlines in the Russian and Belarus news 

If you'd be up to date you'd know the organisation of the European games has decided not to follow the IOC decision. So directly related to the topic.

Who cares?  Russian news is propaganda and is not much different to the news in the west which just carries different propaganda.   Athletes train their whole lives to be able to compete in these competitions, do not have any influence over what their politicians do or do not do and a birthplace lottery should not be a deciding factor in whether they can compete against other athletes who happened to be born in more "acceptable" countries.  

Politics should have no place in sports. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, James105 said:

Who cares?  

I would suggest most of the world should care and I agree about politics having no place.

But some despot regimes tend to use the Olympics to promote their Nationalistic agenda and their propaganda.

Hitler showcased the Nazi Regime in 1936 at the  Berlin Olympics although there were unsuccessful attempts to boycott the Games due to concerns that appeasement would worse Hitler's Jewish persecution.

How did that turn out?

'Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it' comes to mind!

The 1936 Olympics | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest most of the world should care and I agree about politics having no place.

But some despot regimes tend to use the Olympics to promote their Nationalistic agenda and their propaganda.

Hitler showcased the Nazi Regime in 1936 at the  Berlin Olympics although there were unsuccessful attempts to boycott the Games due to concerns that appeasement would worse Hitler's Jewish persecution.

How did that turn out?

'Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it' comes to mind!

The 1936 Olympics | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

I agree that Moscow should not be allowed to host the Olympics during this time which would be the direct comparison to the point you are making, but that has nothing to do with this topic though does it?  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, James105 said:

I agree that Moscow should not be allowed to host the Olympics during this time which would be the direct comparison to the point you are making, but that has nothing to do with this topic though does it?  

Yet, the point I am making is :

"Some despot regimes tend to use the Olympics to promote their Nationalistic agenda and their propaganda".

which is on point and very relevant to the topic!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Quite right too!

It is not the fault of individual Russians that their country is the Pariah state it now is.

Imagine spending most of your young live dreaming and training for this and having it snatched away by Putin!

Quite wrong too. The Russians and Belarussians should not be allowed to compete. I don't give a rodent's behind about their dreaming and training being snatched away by Putin. What about all the Ukrainians' LIVES being snatched away by Putin!

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Quite wrong too. The Russians and Ukrainians* should not be allowed to compete. I don't give a rodent's behind about their dreaming and training being snatched away by Putin. What about all the Ukrainian's LIVES being snatched away by Putin!

* Did you mean Belarusians?

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Quite wrong too. The Russians and Belarussians should not be allowed to compete. I don't give a rodent's behind about their dreaming and training being snatched away by Putin. What about all the Ukrainians' LIVES being snatched away by Putin!

As you state it is Putin causing the harm, not the people of those countries.  Why should they be "punished" for his actions?

• Sad 1

Sports and politics have been intertwined since the Greeks invented the Olympiad.

As others have inferred, the Nazis recognised that success at sport could be used as a propaganda tool and, no doubt, Putin realises the same.

For that reason, imo sadly Russian and Belarusian sportsmen and women should not be allowed to compete internationally in individual events. Those who compete in team events might be treated differently. This was how those from apartheid South Africa were treated in the '70s and '80s (in the UK at least).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

As you state it is Putin causing the harm, not the people of those countries.  Why should they be "punished" for his actions?

So you're saying that Russia as a nation should not be sanctioned at all since it's Putin personally that started the war??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RayC said:

Sports and politics have been intertwined since the Greeks invented the Olympiad.

As others have inferred, the Nazis recognised that success at sport could be used as a propaganda tool and, no doubt, Putin realises the same.

For that reason, imo sadly Russian and Belarusian sportsmen and women should not be allowed to compete internationally in individual events. Those who compete in team events might be treated differently. This was how those from apartheid South Africa were treated in the '70s and '80s (in the UK at least).

Absolutely agree with that, in the Tokyo Olympics 61 out of 71 Russian medals were won by athletes affiliated to the Russian army.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, James105 said:

<snip>

Agree with you, but reality is different.

Countries like China and Russia have state organised doping programs. 

• Like 1